Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Railfan - PS3

Started by Viero_Berlotti, July 29, 2012, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

I really want to give this Japanese railway simulator a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZyw86te3qk

I'm in no way a fan of trains in particular (I do love a good train journey though). It's one of those games that just wouldn't get made for a mainstream console in the west, and for that reason it interests me. On the surface of it, the premise seem really boring, just driving a train from station to station trying to stay on time, but I reckon there would be something quite 'zen' and relaxing/fulfilling about it. It came out in 2006 and is still about £70 on import though, so I don't want to risk it if it actually turns out to be shite.

I know there are train simulators for the PC, but that wouldn't be the same. I want to play Railfan on my PS3 with the Japanese text and audio damn it!!

Anybody have this game???

Papercut

I do, and the Taiwanese version, although it has been years since I've played them.

The Japanese one is better as it has multiple routes , although the Taiwanese one is good if you are intersted in their version of the Japanese Bullet Train (better aircon for a more humid environment!), and their new(ish) high speed line which runs the length of the country. Tbh, that version seems to be more of an excuse for Sony Computer Entertainment Taiwan to justify it's existence, than anything else.

I think I paid less than £30 each, maybe less than £20 for the second one. You are right, they are quite relaxing to play. I wouldn't say it was worth any more than I paid though... and the PSP Densha de Go games might be a better bet/easier to get hold of.

Otherwise Tokyo Bus Driver 1 (Dreamcast) and 2 (PS2) are probably the best games of this type I played, the DC version in particular. There is something about the particular Japanese approach to these kind of games, and the additional attention to detail of the mechanics of them that turn what should be very dry exercises in simulation to quirky, unusual arcade games. The fact that Taito and Sega have been churning out these kind of games in the arcades for what must be 20 years now is probably the explanation for that.