Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Awful Awfully New Newer Cricket Cricketing Thread

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 04, 2012, 06:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pie Pie Eater

I had to unfollow Vaughan on Twitter due to an extremely generous "two strikes and you're out" policy regarding having Piers Morgan retweeted into my feed. He was getting on my tits anyway.

What with that and the Strauss Tory story, I am becoming seriously disillusioned with England's former captains.

The Duck Man

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 09, 2012, 10:49:53 AM
Haha. I don't remember him at all.
He played at Trent Bridge on Wednesday! Only his second ODI since 2008, wasn't among their seven bowlers in that match, would have batted at seven. Before this topic even came up I had been thinking of posting on here that you really know South Africa are rotating when Ontong gets a game.

Quote from: Pie Pie Eater on September 09, 2012, 12:37:29 PM
What with that and the Strauss Tory story, I am becoming seriously disillusioned with England's former captains.
Let's not discount the current one - Alastair Cook: DEER KILLER.

That photo is framed in his house. And yeah, Vaughan's basic illiteracy and inanity irks me on Twitter. I have him on my cricket list, but would never have need my main feed.

In other news: Pietersen accuses Swann and Anderson of leaking private information to that KP parody account.

EDIT: Just read that Anderson/Vaughan story. Cracking ghost writing for Jimmy autobiography - really captures his voice:
Quote"Unfortunately, despite our cordiality now, I didn't enjoy Vaughan as a captain"

Pie Pie Eater

The Duck Man

So touring squad to India apparently going to be named prior to departure for the World T20 on Thursday. Unlike last year's series against Pakistan, where they named a squad identical (apart from Collingwood's replacement) to the one they chose for Australia the previous winter,[nb]Australia squad: Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson, Finn, Tremlett, Bresnan, Panesar, Morgan, Davies. Pakistan: Bopara replaced Collingwood. Sri Lanka: Tredwell replaced Tremlett, Patel replaced Morgan. Shahzad was added to the squad in Australia, and Onions replaced Bresnan in Pakistan.[/nb] there's a fair number of spots up for contention.

Presuming a squad of 16, nailed on are 10: Cook, Trott, Bell, Prior, Swann, Broad, Bresnan, Anderson, Finn and Panesar. With Jonny Bairstow a capable reserve wicket-keeper and Davies recently dropped by Surrey, I'd say he's pretty much assured too.

That leaves 5 spots and the contenders are:
Openers: Joe Root, Michael Carberry, Varun Chopra, Nick Compton
Middle-order: Kevin Pietersen, James Taylor, Ravi Bopara, Eoin Morgan
Spinners: Samit Patel, James Tredwell, Chris Nash[nb]Who, you ask - touted by a few in recent weeks. A very outside bet but: third highest English run-scorer in County Div 1 this season (977 at 40.70, as an opener, 15 matches) and 20 wickets at 21.75. Compare to Patel: 9 matches, 329 runs at 27.41 and 14 wickets at 38.28.[/nb]
Seamers: Graham Onions, Chris Woakes

I was going to say I don't think England will take an extra seamer, but given it's a four match series, I think it's fairly likely they'll take five which means Onions is in (and if not, I reckon both Onions and Woakes may get a call-up in New Zealand). I think they'll take both Patel and Tredwell.

That leaves two spots. I found it interesting they gave Eoin Morgan a central contract considering he's fourth-choice out of those listed above for the two middle-order slots in the Test side. I imagine it's more of a short-form decision, where he's straight in. If Pietersen doesn't go, does Morgan go by virtue of his contract (and his supposed ability, discounting Pakistan, to play spin)? He's hardly tearing it up for Middlesex this summer (109 runs at 18.16 in the championship). I don't think he will, and it would be Taylor given Ravi's form.

That leaves one opener's spot. Very hard to call, given that they are all essentially untested. Compton and Carberry have experience in their favour - England may not be inclined to call-up a third young batsman if Pietersen doesn't go. I'm inclined to say Compton, even though he's been batting at three for Somerset and has been injured for a month. Although fuck it, actually I reckon England may take 17 on the basis it's a long tour. In which case, Root as well.

Cook, Root, Compton, Trott, Bell, Pietersen/Taylor, Bairstow, Prior, Patel, Bresnan, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn, Onions, Tredwell, Panesar.

Hmm, batting heavy, difficult to manage them all getting a decent net. Oh well!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My opinion is they'll open with Bell which might be an ok option for Indian pitches, and Taylor, Bairstow and Compton will get found out against Ojha and Ashwin.

The Duck Man

I can't see them opening with Bell, I don't they'll want disruption in two positions. I'm now wavering towards Carberry, as the experienced/actual full-time opener now.

Sterling work from the candidates today:
Root: 0
Carberry: 1
Chopra: 16
Compton: Yet to bat, Suppiah and Tresco opening and racking up an unbeaten century partnership

The Duck Man

Just watched a cracking end to the CB40 final. Warwickshire needs 7 off the last over, then 5 off 2 and Neil Carter - in his last game for the club - hit a four, scores level. Ali bowls to Carter, full-toss, he misses it. Match tied - Hampshire win due to fewer wickets lost.

I heard that he was and saw it for myself today - Michael Bates of Hampshire is a monstrous keeper. Shame he can't bat. Wonder if he'll come into the development system this winter - see if they can work on that. Wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Wood in one of the development squads either - seen him a couple of times in pressurised one-day situations and he's done well.

Also: Jimmy Adams's chin beard is criminal.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: The Duck Man on September 09, 2012, 02:30:48 PM
That photo is framed in his house. And yeah, Vaughan's basic illiteracy and inanity irks me on Twitter. I have him on my cricket list, but would never have need my main feed.

I read an article on he class gap in sport published while england were playing south africa and it noted that 8 of their team was privately educated (3 bowlers apparently, I didn't check it all but I'd guess anderson, swann and bresnan). probably going to be to tricky to find a non-tory amongst them.

rjd2

Zimbabwe have been so bad in the world cup so far, shame because I thought they had some good results recently.

Won't get excited about their opponents until they play a decent side just yet!

Its been a slow start so far, Sri lanka's fans have not turned up and those who did, have made no atmosphere. It should pick up tomorrow once the games get more competitive.

Nobody Soup

it's been poor scheduling, dunno if it was deliberate but there hasn't been a match that's looked like being a contest yet. add to that zimbabwe are off home and about half the teams have yet to even bowl.

starts proper tomorrow, bangladesh v new zealand has potential to be interesting and afghanistan could possibly cause an upset (if they have the spinners)

rjd2

Afghanistan look handy but tomorrow (or today!) will be the first time they have came up against real quality fast bowling. India's trundlers of wank are one thing but Finn, Broad and even Dernbach are a much more difficult equation.

I remember in the last world cup Steyn and Morkel destroyed them.

rjd2

monolith

Never seen a super over before. NZ slight favourites but still anyone's game. Exciting stuff.

rjd2

New Zealand's batting order has been retarded all competition, why on earth was Ross Taylor not opening instead of Guptil in the super over? 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It annoys me that they don't display live average for the batsmen in 20/20's preferring to show their career strike rate. It's still not as important.

rjd2

Some of these lads have looked out of their depth, Bairstow especially and Christ just look at the bloody scoreboard once or twice an innings Kiesswetter.

Would expect England to beat New Zealand on Saturday, some very average players in that New Zealand side.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wright is an overgrown schoolboy with no cricket brain.
Bairstow was painful, he was out of touch, and couldnt get it off the square.

We shouldnt have had to chase 180 though, it was a pretty poor effort with the ball.

Morgan is ace sometimes, Hales is also reliable but he needs to work on manouvring the ball better, he hit a dozen clean shots that found the fielders instead of the boundary. Otherwise pretty impressed and he should be in the one day side with his mentality.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also he has a really square brow and a rather psycho stare. I can imagine him being a squaddie or spending his free time beating people up in town centres.

rjd2

This is a gloriously inept chase from Pakistan here against the Saffers on what is a decent enough pitch.

But heh Umar Akmal a beacon of calmness is still at the crease.

On England, shame their is no Shah in the 20/20 side, loads of experience in the sub continent and a fine 20/20 player.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Look at the Pakistan team though..so much shit.

Imram Nazir and Shoaib Malik playing for..reasons unknown. Kamran on the rare occasion flatters to deceive.

Even with Afridi at 7, pretty useless when he gets out first ball like today. He should be at 6 in a Twenty20 game as he takes an over to get his eye in.

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 28, 2012, 01:47:59 PM
Look at the Pakistan team though..so much shit.

Imram Nazir and Shoaib Malik playing for..reasons unknown. Kamran on the rare occasion flatters to deceive.

Even with Afridi at 7, pretty useless when he gets out first ball like today. He should be at 6 in a Twenty20 game as he takes an over to get his eye in.

Doesn't matter where Afridi bats, he never bothers with getting his eye in, no matter the format. It must be infuriating for a Pakistan fan but he is to old to change now. From all accounts he only cares about bowling anyore.

I do like Jamshed but his slog today to get out was disgusting. Malik is supposedly the accumalator of the side, Nazir has always been a filthy slogger who does well against minnows but fails against proper bowlers.

Gul going mental here, game on!

rjd2

Pretty emphatic from England today but bloody hell no more Kiesswetter please? I know Lumb is not exactly Gayle but he deserves a chance against Sri Lanka.

One thing however which needs to be tackled is Finn consistently knocking the bloody stumps over, twice he done it and both times his delivery went for 4,  New Zealand only got 2 runs out of it? That's so unfair on the batting side, should be a free hit or a 3 strike ruling and take him out of the attack.

biggytitbo

That rule makes no sense does it? How come the batting team get penalised for a mistake by the bowler?

England look pretty good when they're on though, unfortunetly you don't know which England is going to turn up.

rjd2

Exactly, it should be a no ball or free hit.

England played well today but would you trust them not to implode against Mendis?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The pitches look like they're taking more and more spin. Have Sri Lanka picked Herath for the tournament? We struggled to pick his never-changing orthodox off-spin, whereas so far we've dealt with mystery spinners quite well.

I was wrong about Pakistan, Gul is always a good candidate to add a quick 20 or 30. Such a clean striker of the ball. It must just be his mentality that prevents him having a higher average.

As far as England goes, I'd bump Buttler up the order as he could do untold damage given the freedom.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't agree with the fuss over Finn knocking the bails over. At the point the ball hasn't been delivered and it's simply a dead ball. That they scored boundaries is utterly irrelevant, it's a dead ball.

The only thing that is being lost is the time, as each time he does it, it adds a minute on. Do something with that if you want to.

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 30, 2012, 12:06:38 PM
The pitches look like they're taking more and more spin. Have Sri Lanka picked Herath for the tournament? We struggled to pick his never-changing orthodox off-spin, whereas so far we've dealt with mystery spinners quite well.

I was wrong about Pakistan, Gul is always a good candidate to add a quick 20 or 30. Such a clean striker of the ball. It must just be his mentality that prevents him having a higher average.

As far as England goes, I'd bump Buttler up the order as he could do untold damage given the freedom.

Yep, will probably play along with Ajenta Mendis and Jeevan Mendis who is a very underrated spinner.

Bairstow is expected to keep wicket tomorrow, not fussed about that, shame the only alternative to Kieswetter opening is Michael Lumb, not a bad player but not exactly a world beater either.

Gul is a confidence player and sadly these days he gets hammered more often than not in the shorter formats which probably can't do much for his self esteem when batting.

rjd2

Quote from: rjd2 on September 30, 2012, 07:15:46 PM
Yep, will probably play along with Ajenta Mendis and Jeevan Mendis who is a very underrated spinner.

Bairstow is expected to keep wicket tomorrow, not fussed about that, shame the only alternative to Kieswetter opening is Michael Lumb, not a bad player but not exactly a world beater either.

But compared to Ravi Bopara at the moment is Bradman at his peak. 

Absurd to pick someone so out of form in a most win game.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Face it, we missed Pietersen here badly. Our bowling and fuelding plans musnt have worked because our economy rates were very poor.

rjd2

Yep England's bowling apart from Finn has been very poor. Dernbach and Patel were abysmal all competition.
Not sure if Bell or Prior would have made a huge difference, Bell hasn't exactly excelled against spin recently and Prior has had numerous opportunities in non white colors and not done enough to consolidate his position.

England need a good series against India to salvage what has been an awful year with the exception of the ODI team.