Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unlikely Film Cameos

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, August 12, 2012, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Galloway in The Bourne Identity (2002).

00:47:44. - After they leave the apartment.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tim Booth in Batman Begins.

Tim Booth action figure anyone?

Custard

^ See also - Mandy from Hollyoaks

Hulk Hogan in Gremlins 2

lipsink

Nolan's Batman films have some strange cameos alright. In Batman Begins we had a judge played by the pilot from the Father Ted plane episode:

plus Commissioner Loeb played by him off The Fast Show:

The Duck Man

Yeah, Nolan's Batman films are great for British TV actor cameos, being shot in the UK. The latest one has Burn Gorman in a fairly prominent role, a lad from BBC1's Silk as a US military fella and Warren Brown, one of the stars of BBC1's Luther and Inside Men, who doesn't have a line and simply gets smashed in the face by Batman and is never seen again. Oh, and Tom Conti, of course.

The second one had at least two actors from Band of Brothers as prisoners on the boat. These were the ones who have gone on to do little, rather than yer Tom Hardys, Michael Fassbenders and James McAvoys. In fact, there was a set of close-ups which went from Band of Brothers actor to Band of Brothers actor, to the extent it almost felt like a tribute.

Woody Allen's Match Point is also fun in this regard. Alexander Armstrong plays a tennis club owner, Paul Kaye an estate agent, Tony Kebbell, Steve Pemberton, Ewen Bremner and James Nesbitt are policemen and (my favourite) Mark Gatiss plays a man who plays table tennis with Scarlett Johansson, doesn't have a line, then walks out when the protagonist enters the room (there's various others too).

I haven't seen his other "London film" Scoop (supposedly dreadful) but looking at the cast it too looks much the same - a second Alexander Armstrong appearance!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you ever find yourself going "Oh hello, it's him from that!", then that's to the detriment of the piece itself. Which is why most films should feature a very low key supporting cast. Unfortunately the trend at the moment seems to be the opposite.

Gulftastic

The best Batman cameo is from Tim Burton's first effort, when Batman beats up Moxie out off of Auf Wiedersehn, Pet at the start. The dialogue appears on Prince's OST album, so Moxie is on there too.

spock rogers

Bishop Brennan from Father Ted is in John Carpenter's Memoirs of an Invisible Man. He also pops up in Babylon 5 too.

Repentia

Eddie Izzard in everything he's even been in, ever.

Even if his name is on the poster, I still do a double take when he meanders into shot.

Gavin M

The weirdest cameo moment for me is David Baddiel in Run Ronnie Run.  For those that haven't seen it, he appears for about half a second before an abrupt cut, congratulating the lead character on his success.  The scene is so awkwardly shot (like a lot of the movie) that it's clear that nobody has a clue why Baddiel is there - the dialogue and the acting serve no purpose whatsoever.  Typical of the chopped salami nature of the film itself.

Crabwalk

Taffin, the wildly improbable and entertaining 1988 Irish gangster thriller features half the male Father Ted cast in supporting roles, which was a brilliant surprise when I saw it. Frank Kelly, Dermot Morgan, Gerard McSorley (he pops up in tons of big films, mind), and more show up.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffin

Old Nehamkin

The film Taffin has just been mentioned. It is now obligatory for me to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXcgt6l_LcA

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's also obligatory in every other thread too, where Taffin has not been mentioned.

Brundle-Fly

Arthur Lowe playing as Titbits reporter with one line at the end of Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949)

Ocho

Another good Ealing one is Audrey Hepburn as Alec Guinness's girlfriend for about 5 seconds in The Lavender Hill Mob.  She's also in a fluffy little '50s comedy called Laughter In Paradise as a cigarette girl.

Star! was a famous flop, starring Julie Andrews in a hugely out of step with the times muscial biopic spectacular.  Inexplicably, the prospect of a brief Bruce Forsyth appearance in glorious 70mm was not enough to tempt audiences.

Harpo Speaks

It's slightly more than a cameo, but Tony Way appearing in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Also Benedict Wong and Matt Berry appearing in Moon.

Glebe

Quote from: lipsink on August 12, 2012, 10:32:23 AM
Nolan's Batman films have some strange cameos alright. In Batman Begins we had a judge played by the pilot from the Father Ted plane episode:

Wow, just watched that episode the other night... and fittingly, here's yet another Batman Begins cameo, possibly the strangest; Risteárd Cooper of Irish sports-satire show Après Match appears briefly as 'Captain Simonson':

Dead kate moss

Cliff from Cheers works for NASA in Superman 2.

kidsick5000

Not strictly a cameo, but seeing Leonard Rossiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey throws you out of the movie for a while.

Jerzy Bondov

Bishop Brennan comes round to visit Harry Potter's abusive aunt and uncle. It's all going well, they've remembered not to call him Len or mention rabbits, but then an elf drops a cake on his wife's head.

Sandow

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 12, 2012, 01:05:16 PM
The best Batman cameo is from Tim Burton's first effort, when Batman beats up Moxie out off of Auf Wiedersehn, Pet at the start. The dialogue appears on Prince's OST album, so Moxie is on there too.

Christ, you're right. I never made that connection before!

neveragain

Quote from: The Duck Man on August 12, 2012, 11:41:05 AM
I haven't seen his other "London film" Scoop (supposedly dreadful)

I actually found it quite enjoyable if that's of any help. It isn't Annie Hall, but an amusing romp nonetheless.

awesom_o

Fred Elliot from Coronation Street turning up in A Clockwork Orange is one of my faves.

Queneau

Quote[...]more than 60 years after its release, a French cinema historian and two US crime-writers almost simultaneously happened on the same bizarre discovery - that Raymond Chandler, uncredited and previously unnoticed, has a tiny cameo in Double Indemnity. On 14 January, the American mystery writer Mark Coggins, tipped off by another writer, John Billheimer, posted the news on his website, Riordan's desk (tinyurl.com/raymondchandler), while the French journalist Olivier Eyquem, wrote about on his blog (tinyurl.com/chandlerfrench) on March 30.

I only read this the other day: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jun/05/raymond-chandler-double-indemnity-cameo

Seems odd that I hadn't noticed it.

Replies From View

The Captain from Red Dwarf being in the Aliens Special Edition was quite funny at first.

Crabwalk

Michael Sheen playing Jeremy Dyson in the opening sequence of The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse is a nice gag.

CaledonianGonzo

Ronnie Wood in 9 & 1/2 Weeks is quite an odd one, though maybe not as odd as Miles Davis in Scrooged.

And while obviously not a film, Wilko Johnson's recurring role in Game of Thrones is splendidly batty.

MuteBanana

Birthday Girl starring Nicole Kidman and Ben Chaplin has some surprising cameos. Particularly how the majority of Armstrong & Miller and The League of Gentlemen seem to run a hotel. Which is an interesting idea.

kidsick5000

Christian Slater in Star Trek 6 is rather good, especially given that its from a genuine fanboy enthusiasm for the show.

David Bowie in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

EDIT: Just watched that bit again, it's bloody mental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJUs-4z2lY