Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unlikely Film Cameos

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, August 12, 2012, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaledonianGonzo

Actually, by the time it happened this one was actually maybe pretty likely.

Don_Preston

Quote from: awesom_o on August 13, 2012, 01:45:10 PM
Fred Elliot from Coronation Street turning up in A Clockwork Orange is one of my faves.

Sounds as funny as Pat Roach appearing in Never Say Never Again in the now infamous 'Golden Shower' scene.

Mustow Green

Chris Quentin/Brian Tilsley appears in Robocop 2

Ignatius_S

Divine out of drag for Alan Rusdolph's ultra-stylish, Trouble in Mind. The role is Hilly Blue, a softly-spoken but utterly cold-blooded mobster – played to perfection.

Gene Hackman as the Old Man in Young Frankenstein, showing off his comedy chops.

Cold Feet (penned by Thomas McGuane) is an offbeat film about a group of criminals (including Keith Carradine and a magnificently psychotic Tom Waits) smuggling precious gems into America by surgically implanting them in a horse. Jeff Bridges has a nice little cameo as a bartender – although it's rather an unusual appearance, there is a kind of logic to the casting as he starred in Rancho Deluxe, which was also written by McGuane.

Bryan Mosley, best known for his role as Alf Roberts in Corrie, playing a dodgy businessman/gangster in Get Carter ("You're a big man, but you're out of shape.").  An even more interesting cameo was John Osbourne playing the main villian.

Quote from: Ocho on August 12, 2012, 08:28:42 PM...  She's also in a fluffy little '50s comedy called Laughter In Paradise as a cigarette girl...

Mmm, I don't think I would call it as fluffy myself – a neat idea for a film, which had more emotional depth than most comedies from that period, particularly with the Fay Compton and Alistair Sim storylines, and a film that deserves to be better known. Also, I particularly like the scenes with Leslie 'Mr Partridge' Dwyer's turn as the football-mad police sergeant.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 12, 2012, 08:00:47 PM
Arthur Lowe playing as Titbits reporter with one line at the end of Kind Hearts And Coronets (1949)

I've only realised fairly recently that Lowe was in The Green Man, playing the owner of the electrical shop who sells a radio to Alistair Sim.

Quote from: Queneau on August 13, 2012, 01:48:22 PM
I only read this the other day: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jun/05/raymond-chandler-double-indemnity-cameo

Seems odd that I hadn't noticed it.

You and just about everyone else!

Brundle-Fly

Thriller Mute Witness  has a real doozy of a cameo with an uncredited
Spoiler alert
Alec Guiness
[close]
turning up at the end as an evil snuff movie producer.

And the best has to be Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Michael Sheard) as
Spoiler alert
Hitler
[close]
in Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

CaledonianGonzo

The Indiana Jones movies have form in this field, not least when Alexei Sayle shows up playing an Arab Sultan.

El Unicornio, mang

Not sure if it counts as a cameo, but I always thought Peter Serafinowicz doing the voice of Darth Maul in Episode 1 was quite weird.

Also, De Niro in Brazil.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2012, 07:11:54 PM...And the best has to be Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Michael Sheard) as
Spoiler alert
Hitler
[close]

That wasn't the first time Sheard had tackled that particular role - but got that particular gig as Spielberg rather liked him.

Black Ship

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2012, 07:11:54 PM

And the best has to be Mr Bronson from Grange Hill (Michael Sheard) as
Spoiler alert
Hitler
[close]

Last Crusade surely?

Unless Hitler was on holiday in mid-30's India or something.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 14, 2012, 07:40:49 PM
That wasn't the first time Sheard had tackled that particular role - but got that particular gig as Spielberg rather liked him.

Don't forget his brilliant death at the hands of Darth Vader in Empire Strikes back - I think that enamoured him with Lucas and Spielberg.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 14, 2012, 08:06:07 PM
Don't forget his brilliant death at the hands of Darth Vader in Empire Strikes back - I think that enamoured him with Lucas and Spielberg.

Forget? I should cocoa! Lucas was a huge fan of that particular scene. Also, Sheard was pipped to the post by his good mate, Ronald Lacey, for a part in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but Spielberg cast him in another role.

I keep meaning to pick up his memoirs as I once skimmed through a copy of one and they looked so readable. I think he mentioned that he was worried about getting permission for photos from films by Speilberg and/or Lucas.... but the answer was 'Sure! How many would you like.'. Bit of a tangent, but I think in another thread someone mentioned that Sheard was attending some fan conference and he drummed up support by pacing outside and ordering 'You boy... Inside now!'

Ignatius_S

Another one from Grange Hill - I remember watching Tony Richardson's film of Tom Jones and seeing George A. Cooper as Mr Fitzpatrick (he has a fantastic fencing scene with Albert Finney towards the end).... I'd never seen Mr. Jenkins the caretaker in anything else up to that point. 

Harpo Speaks

Another one that I found particularly jarring - Brian Conley showing up in Equilibrium.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Black Ship on August 14, 2012, 07:53:05 PM
Last Crusade surely?

Unless Hitler was on holiday in mid-30's India or something.

Yes. I am a tit.

Glebe

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 14, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Another one that I found particularly jarring - Brian Conley showing up in Equilibrium.

He's also in Circus, along with Christopher Biggins.

chocky909

Kevin Eldon and Mark Heap playing a pair of dandys in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

CaledonianGonzo

Actually, that man Eldon appearing in Scorsese's Hugo fair surprised me.

non capisco

Tony Robinson getting chucked  into the Thames by John Wayne in his ropey late career film 'Brannigan'.

Rik Mayall in the pub at the start of 'An American Werewolf In London'.

David Schenider as the tube driver in the first 'Mission Impossible' film.

And why is Michael Kenneth Williams aka Omar from 'The Wire' in just a couple of shots of the Ed Norton Hulk movie looking overawed in a street battle scene and then never seen again?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo_h8l6J7Rw

Doomy Dwyer

Tom Waits appears uncredited as a tramp in 'The Fisher King' muttering something about "heading for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores"

A pre-fame Antony Hegarty appears as a singing prisoner in Steve Buscemi's film of Edward Bunkers 'Animal Factory'.

Beat Poet and mad bastard Gregory Corso appears in 'The Godfather III' berating Michael Corleone in a big church. Happily it's right at the start of the film so you don't have to sit through it all to witness this moment of cinematic wonderment. Although you do have to stick around a while for the other good bit, Pacino's "Just when I think I'm out" speech.

Portions of The Clash appear in Martin Scorsese's meisterwerk 'The King of Comedy' for about half a second. Keen eyed CaBber's may also spot fifties 'Great Balls of Fire' crooner Jerry Lewis gamely holding his own playing opposite a heavily moustachioed Robert de Niro[nb]Not a film, but Robert de Niro makes an early literary cameo appearance in a Jack Kerouac story in 'Lonesome Traveller'. Fact.[/nb].

Edit – I was waiting for a train in Kent once and had about two hours to kill, so I nipped into a nearby pub. Inside some drunk men were talking about how great 'Goodfellas' is. They loved it, and fair play to them. One chap went on to add that his favourite bit was when "Danny Devito stabbed that bloke with a pen" which he then went on to act out visually, using his body.

Never drink in pubs with  'Railway' in their name.

Never go to Kent.

Ocho

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 14, 2012, 02:28:02 PM
Mmm, I don't think I would call it as fluffy myself – a neat idea for a film, which had more emotional depth than most comedies from that period

I'll have to seek it out and see it again; it has been about 20 years since I last saw it in a mid-afternoon TV showing and I just remember my impression that it was appropriately mid-afternoonish in tone.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 14, 2012, 08:17:24 PM

I keep meaning to pick up his memoirs as I once skimmed through a copy of one and they looked so readable. I think he mentioned that he was worried about getting permission for photos from films by Speilberg and/or Lucas.... but the answer was 'Sure! How many would you like.'. Bit of a tangent, but I think in another thread someone mentioned that Sheard was attending some fan conference and he drummed up support by pacing outside and ordering 'You boy... Inside now!'

I've read his memoirs after finding it in a bargain book shop in Newport. Good Lord it was a dull book. Tales of him & "dear old Rog" Moore & how he once funded a blue movie. I don't think I finished it.

turnstyle

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 12, 2012, 10:27:40 PM

Also Benedict Wong and Matt Berry appearing in Moon.

Benedict Wong is also in Prometheus, although to be fair to him it's an actual part, rather than a cameo. He was also in Sunshine.

Basically, never go into space with Benedict Wong. You will have a horrible time.

I will forever see him as Errol from 15 Stories, so seeing him in a flipping space ship always breaks the immersion for me. I can just picture him back in his space bunk, recording a message on his dictaphone for his Mum.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: turnstyle on August 15, 2012, 09:32:14 AM
Benedict Wong is also in Prometheus, although to be fair to him it's an actual part, rather than a cameo. He was also in Sunshine.

Indeed, that scene in Prometheus could have only been improved by the inclusion of Medibot.

Dark Sky

David Hasselhoff appearing in the fantastic Spongebob Squarepants Movie is always a favourite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brTGAgUYnIc

Especially as the big dramatic ending show-down takes place entirely on his back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVy9NBehoc&feature=fvwrel

mcbpete

Quote from: turnstyle on August 15, 2012, 09:32:14 AM

Basically, never go into space with Benedict Wong. You will have a horrible time.
Ditto with his appearance in [the fabulous] Moon.

Cerys

The first one that really threw me was Tim McInnerny appearing as a guard in Anastasia: The Mystery of Anna.  I pissed off my mum and dad by insisting that it was Tim McInnerny.  My mum and dad told me it couldn't be him, because he was a comedy actor.

I love my parents; but they can't half be dim sometimes.

Johnny Townmouse

Johnny Ramone pops up for a few seconds on the Spanish SF film Stranded for no good fucking reason.

sovietrussia

Brian Glover as a flick-knife wielding bookie facing down John Wayne in the aforementioned "Brannigan".

George and Mildred's Brian Murphy (George) as some kind of physick/torturer in "The Devils".

Dave from the Winchester in "Get Carter".

Alfie Bass in "Moonraker" (as Consumptive Italian).

Jumble Cashback

Quote from: Glebe on August 14, 2012, 09:35:28 PM
He's also in Circus, along with Christopher Biggins.

Are you sure you don't mean pantomime?

Although not technically a film cameo, Jeff Goldblum plays a briefly-glimpsed protester (with no lines) in the Columbo episode 'A Case of Immunity'.  I nearly jumped out of bed when I spotted it.  (I was watching it in bed).

another Mr. Lizard

I'd like to imagine that Robin Askwith's casting in a cameo in big-budget submarine epic U-571 was entirely down to the fact that the character is identified in the credits as 'British Seaman'...