Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:44:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unlikely Film Cameos

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, August 12, 2012, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: turnstyle on August 15, 2012, 09:32:14 AM
I will forever see him as Errol from 15 Stories, so seeing him in a flipping space ship always breaks the immersion for me. I can just picture him back in his space bunk, recording a message on his dictaphone for his Mum.

Hello Mum...it's me, Errol...the Chinese one. Well...I'm in space. Just woke up. I've been asleep for months.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on August 16, 2012, 11:55:46 AM
I'd like to imagine that Robin Askwith's casting in a cameo in big-budget submarine epic U-571 was entirely down to the fact that the character is identified in the credits as 'British Seaman'...

It makes even more sense finding out that Askwith's rumoured deleted scene involved him shagging a wren when he should have been on look-out duty – the dereliction of duty causing the boat to sink. Naturally, the torpedo strokes the vessel at the moment of ectasy.

Quote from: Ocho on August 15, 2012, 12:33:12 AM
I'll have to seek it out and see it again; it has been about 20 years since I last saw it in a mid-afternoon TV showing and I just remember my impression that it was appropriately mid-afternoonish in tone.

Do give it another go – you might not change your opinion, but I think it's one that deserves far greater recognition. It certainly fits mid-afternoon nicely, but it has rather more depth than others that also fit it.

Quote from: SteveDave on August 15, 2012, 09:12:58 AM
I've read his memoirs after finding it in a bargain book shop in Newport. Good Lord it was a dull book. Tales of him & "dear old Rog" Moore & how he once funded a blue movie. I don't think I finished it.

Hee, thanks for the warning! Sheard did write more than one book and the one that I picked up seemed enjoyably readable. Maybe no great shakes, but many of my favourite actors are supporting ones and often find their careers more interesting than many a star.

Quote from: Dark Sky on August 15, 2012, 02:06:16 PM
David Hasselhoff appearing in the fantastic Spongebob Squarepants Movie is always a favourite of mine....

Superb pick!

Quote from: sovietrussia on August 15, 2012, 11:20:52 PM
Brian Glover as a flick-knife wielding bookie facing down John Wayne in the aforementioned "Brannigan".

George and Mildred's Brian Murphy (George) as some kind of physick/torturer in "The Devils".

Dave from the Winchester in "Get Carter"....

Although the sight of Brian Murphy in that film did cause me to spill tea from my cup into the saucer, I later found it was perhaps less surprising as one might think. The actor had worked with Ken Russell before on stage, film and television. Murphy was in Russell's television adaptation of The Diary of a Nobody and he wasn't the only one in that production in working with the director in future projects.

With the other two, those kinds of roles weren't atypical for those actors in that stage of their career but you just can't help but do a double-take.... and I'm sure Arthur would have been appalled by Dave appearing in a blue movie.

madhair60

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 14, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Another one that I found particularly jarring - Brian Conley showing up in Equilibrium.

WHAT

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It happened.

For some reason, Phil Lamarr appears as an extra during the train scene in Spider-Man 2. Speaking of which, while it's not so unlikely, I was surprised when Willem Defoe turned up, Obi Wan style, towards the end.

Ignatius_S

More than a cameo, but still very surprising, is Jim Davidson in Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts. In a parallel universe, Davidson is best known as a the darling of avant-garde cinema.

KennyMonster

Quote from: spock rogers on August 12, 2012, 01:32:34 PM
Bishop Brennan from Father Ted is in John Carpenter's Memoirs of an Invisible Man. He also pops up in Babylon 5 too.

In  recent years the wife and I have seen him as the home tutor in 'The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas' and also in 'Fraiser' as a servant working in an exclusive gentleman's club with which the brothers are trying to gain membership.

Both times we have had to pause the screen and spend ages trying to work out where we knew him from.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 16, 2012, 02:59:39 PM
More than a cameo, but still very surprising, is Jim Davidson in Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts. In a parallel universe, Davidson is best known as a the darling of avant-garde cinema.

He's also in Colour Me Kubrick as a celebrity who appears to be a cross between Liberace and Larry Grayson. There's a scene where he sings Can't Take My Eyes Off You to John Malkovich in very camp fashion. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

El Unicornio, mang

Les Dennis playing very much against type (and doing a remarkably good job of it) as a creepy long-lost brother in Intimate Relations

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 16, 2012, 05:23:25 PM
He's also in Colour Me Kubrick as a celebrity who appears to be a cross between Liberace and Larry Grayson. There's a scene where he sings Can't Take My Eyes Off You to John Malkovich in very camp fashion. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Good call! I haven't seen that one myself, but keep meaning to - and I'm going to have to now!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 16, 2012, 05:34:55 PM
Les Dennis playing very much against type (and doing a remarkably good job of it) as a creepy long-lost brother in Intimate Relations

Another great call - he really is good in that.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 16, 2012, 05:36:13 PM
Good call! I haven't seen that one myself, but keep meaning to - and I'm going to have to now!

Here, you can save yourself the trouble of sitting through the whole film..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

MuteBanana

Quote from: awesom_o on August 13, 2012, 01:45:10 PM
Fred Elliot from Coronation Street turning up in A Clockwork Orange is one of my faves.

He also appears in Ghandi.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 16, 2012, 05:40:09 PM
Another great call - he really is good in that.

I don't really know!

MuteBanana

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 16, 2012, 06:30:51 PM
As Ghandi?

I think he plays some homosexual Safari type wealthy chap.

I've ruined your joke. "I say be the change you want to see my ducks."

Boycey

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 14, 2012, 07:11:54 PM
Thriller Mute Witness  has a real doozy of a cameo with an uncredited
Spoiler alert
Alec Guiness
[close]
turning up at the end as an evil snuff movie producer.

This is off the top of my head but I seem to remember that the director of Mute Witness had actually filmed the cameo with that actor years before. They'd met in the pub or something and he chanced his arm and asked him if he'd do something and, to his surprise, said actor agreed.

The sequence was shot and then he spent years thinking of a film to go with it

Or something like that anyway. I can't be bothered to go to Wikipedia....

Boycey

And the above shows I don't know how to do those quote malarkey

Theremin

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 16, 2012, 05:23:25 PM

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

Weirdly, I find both Malkovich and Davidson a bit sexy in that clip, in a sort of 'elderly aristocratic deviant' way.

Fred Elliot is my number one pick for Foghorn Leghorn is they ever make a live action movie.

castro diaz

Mike off of Neighbours turns up in that film I can't remember the name of.

Jemble Fred

The sassy lil kid from Third Rock turns out to be ROBIN in the new Batman movie too!!!

turnstyle

I've mentioned it in here before, and it's not a cameo as such, BUT...

In How to lose Friends and Alienate People, Simon Peggs character tries to get into a night club. You see a shot of the guest list, and one of the names on it is CaB favourite - Gina Yashere.

Incredible really, if only because she wouldn't even get on a guest list for her mums house.

spock rogers

Larry Lamb is in Superman 3. I think it's the bit at the end where 'Super' drops off Richard Pryor at that mine place. Lamb is one of the blokes who works at the mine.

MuteBanana

I thought he was a reporter in that. But I was wrong.

Edit - Nope! He was 1st Reporter in the first movie.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: spock rogers on August 17, 2012, 01:17:05 PM
Larry Lamb is in Superman 3. I think it's the bit at the end where 'Super' drops off Richard Pryor at that mine place. Lamb is one of the blokes who works at the mine.

Why is this one unlikely? Is it because the part was so small, you expected him to have bigger roles at that stage?

If it was Larry THE Lamb, I would understand your nomination.

MuteBanana

By the time Larry Lamb made that second appearance in the Superman franchise he'd already starred in Fox and Triangle. Perhaps that would make such a minor role unlikely for an established actor.

Doomy Dwyer

The mighty fine 1978 remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' has a brilliant cameo from original star Kevin McCarthy and a strangely eerie appearance from Robert Duvall siting on a swing while dressed as a priest.

Has anyone mentioned Scorsese's 'Cape Fear'? Original stars Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck appear in a kind of playful moral role reversal type thing.

'JFK' by Oliver Stone is full of cameos, but the best must surely be the real Jim Garrison playing Justice Warren, head of the Warren Commission (obviously).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MuteBanana on August 17, 2012, 01:47:21 PM
By the time Larry Lamb made that second appearance in the Superman franchise he'd already starred in Fox and Triangle. Perhaps that would make such a minor role unlikely for an established actor.

And those roles would mean what to Hollywood producers? Although you could say Lamb was established in British TV, he wasn't in movies - those kind of film bit parts wouldn't be unusual.

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on August 17, 2012, 01:57:18 PM
The mighty fine 1978 remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'...

Very nice calls!

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on August 17, 2012, 01:57:18 PM
The mighty fine 1978 remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' has a brilliant cameo from original star Kevin McCarthy and a strangely eerie appearance from Robert Duvall siting on a swing while dressed as a priest.

Has anyone mentioned Scorsese's 'Cape Fear'? Original stars Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck appear in a kind of playful moral role reversal type thing.

'JFK' by Oliver Stone is full of cameos, but the best must surely be the real Jim Garrison playing Justice Warren, head of the Warren Commission (obviously).

Those are what I consider to be wholly likely cameos.