Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unlikely Film Cameos

Started by Aki Kaurismäki, August 12, 2012, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Larry Lamb is my Mum's best friend's sister's husband!

non capisco

Quote from: Tiny Poster on August 17, 2012, 04:32:21 PM
Those are what I consider to be wholly likely cameos.

The Duvall one definitely throws you in a 'oh, he's in this!...oh no, wait, he's just sitting mute on a swing at the beginning and isn't in the rest of the film at all' sense. They could have got anyone to play that priest. Same with Mike from Neighbours kicking the bucket right at the start of The Hurt Locker. The 70s Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is possibly my favourite ever film. There's something wonderfully, deliberately off about its atmosphere from the first frame to the last.

I was watching the 1936 Hitchcock film 'Sabotage' the other night and something threw me. In a scene set in an aquarium where some villains are having a surreptitious meeting Charles Hawtrey suddenly wanders through the shot talking to a companion about the mating habits of sea lions.

finnquark

Danny Glover as a cowboy in Bamako

Given his political activism, perhaps not so surprising, but the role and character was.

Catalogue Trousers

Superman II has a great double-whammy. Great British Actorly Hope of the day Anthony Sher as a bell-hop and Oz "I love you" Clarke as a terrorist. Things just don't get better than that.

gmoney

Quote from: finnquark on August 19, 2012, 01:38:01 AM
Danny Glover as a cowboy in Bamako

Given his political activism, perhaps not so surprising, but the role and character was.

He was a producer for that film I think. I found that out after watching it though, so him popping up did take me out of the film somewhat.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Bob Todd in "Superman III".

Both Christopher Biggins and Henry Woolf play Transylvanians in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", but I s'pose that's little known actors (or actor/writer/directors in Woolf's case)of the time getting whatever work they can, rather than surprising cameos.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Graham Chapman as a camp-as-a-row-of-homosexuals photographer in "Doctor At Sea" (if that's what it's called)

"Bitch!"

Dead kate moss

Field's Of The Nephilim's Carl McCoy in Hardware. I think Lemmy's in it too.

Brundle-Fly

Buster Bloodvessel (uncredited) in Michael Caine thriller The Fourth Protocol (1984) .

Ian Dury in Judge Dredd (1995) (and Jo Boxer frontman, Dig Wayne too, 1983 fans)!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 16, 2012, 05:40:32 PM
Here, you can save yourself the trouble of sitting through the whole film..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WiiXUR3xM

Cheers for that!

Quote from: Tiny Poster on August 17, 2012, 04:32:21 PM
Those are what I consider to be wholly likely cameos.

I would agree with non capisco about the Duvall being one that anyone could had played. Bearing in mind that Duvall by that time, had graduated to meaty supporting roles and was playing lead roles (e.g. The Outfit) and wasn't a cameo actor, I think it's a surprising role.

Although it's become de rigueur to have cameos in remakes by actors for the original film, I don't feel that was the case when McCathy had his in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

The Cape Fear ones are kinda interesting, but that's the kind that became standard, so I'd go along with that there are likely cameos.

Thinking about the Garrison one in JFK, again, although those kind of cameos arguably became more common after that film, it was hardly the first time it had happened. For example, the two policeman who were the basis for the lead characters in The French Connection, also had cameo roles. So again, I'd go along with the Garrison one as not being unlikely.

Marty McFly

Ron Jeremy in Ghostbusters:

lipsink

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 19, 2012, 01:49:28 AM
Superman II has a great double-whammy. Great British Actorly Hope of the day Anthony Sher as a bell-hop and Oz "I love you" Clarke as a terrorist. Things just don't get better than that.

Richard Griffiths plays another one of the terrorists.

gatchamandave

The neat thing about the Cape Fear cameos is that Mitchum and Peck "swap sides". That raised it above the norm, I thought.

Tiny Poster

RZA's cameo in Ghost Dog is of course entirely likely, but also ridiculous. Allah alone knows what someone unfamiliar with the Wu Tang would make of it - it has no bearing on anything else in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=resUyjKmOj0

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 21, 2012, 06:08:23 PM
Ron Jeremy in Ghostbusters:

I'd never spotted that before. I'll pass that one on to a few people.

neveragain

Larry David plays a nun in the new Three Stooges film. For many people, I'm sure that's the only reason to watch it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: neveragain on August 25, 2012, 12:10:14 PM
Larry David plays a nun in the new Three Stooges film. For many people, I'm sure that's the only reason to watch it.

Mmm, more of a supporting role really. The film wasn't that badly received - far better than most were expecting and the team behind it obviously have a great love for the originals. The Three Stooges are still very popular in the States and have displayed a longevity that a lot of other comedy teams didn't.

Johnny Townmouse

Has anyone mentioned Rik Mayall in American Werewolf in London? Not really a cameo, but it does leap out at you when watching it these days.

Other than that, how about Godflesh performing in the background of some industrial-goth club in the Brett Leonard film Hideaway, starring Jeff Goldblum and Alicia Silverstone.

Taking the thread probably even further away from what the OP intended, how about the music of John Zorn's Naked City featuring throughout both versions of Funny Games?

And to take it back again, Ron Jeremy also appearing regularly in Eastenders:

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 25, 2012, 01:04:50 PM
Has anyone mentioned Rik Mayall in American Werewolf in London? Not really a cameo, but it does leap out at you when watching it these days.

Other than that, how about Godflesh performing in the background of some industrial-goth club in the Brett Leonard film Hideaway, starring Jeff Goldblum and Alicia Silverstone.

Taking the thread probably even further away from what the OP intended, how about the music of John Zorn's Naked City featuring throughout both versions of Funny Games?....

Yes, I think Mayall was mentioned.

Wouldn't that Godflesh one be a likely cameo?

re: Funny Games, Haneke has talked about that music selection quite a bit and what he said he was going for, was pretty much my take. In any case, it wasn't something that I raised an eyebrow at and wouldn't consider it an unusual or unlikely choice.

Johnny Townmouse

QuoteWouldn't that Godflesh one be a likely cameo?

The setting for them in the film makes sense, but how the Brummie funsters ended up in a mainstream Hollywood film is beyond me considering how many shitty bands of that ilk were playing around LA at the time. Almost all 90s thrillers had a detective walking into a neon-lit club in their coat and tie looking all fish out of water and shit, only to punch some demi-goth. Those films never featured Sore Throat or Lawnmower Death so I just thought it very 'unlikely' and out of place.

QuoteFunny Games, Haneke has talked about that music selection quite a bit and what he said he was going for, was pretty much my take. In any case, it wasn't something that I raised an eyebrow at and wouldn't consider it an unusual or unlikely choice.

I find it a fascinating choice and around the time of the American re-make Haneke did discuss why he wanted to retain the music. I always thought its oddness was related how much it seemed like the character himself wouldn't listen to something like Naked City. Or indeed play it at full blast to his family in his car.

Glebe

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 25, 2012, 01:04:50 PMOther than that, how about Godflesh performing in the background of some industrial-goth club in the Brett Leonard film Hideaway, starring Jeff Goldblum and Alicia Silverstone.

*splutter* Really?! That beats Jeff and Bill from Carcass on Red Dwarf.

spock rogers

Speaking of band cameos, Cannibal Corpse in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

Johnny Townmouse

The Birthday Party and Crime and the City solution in Wings of Desire
Nick Cave in The Assassination of Jesse James

I don't know if this counts, or even if they are cameos, but I am enjoying how much this thread is devolving. Anyway, almost all of the cast of Taxi playing themselves in Man on the Moon 20-years after the original show went out was bloody odd.

Feralkid

There's an Australian movie from about 1980 called Chain Reaction, a car chase conspiracy thriller.   Mel Gibson cameos as a mechanic.   Which is apt.   Mad Max director George Miller handled the car chases in a spot of guest directing.   

I'm also always amused by Sting's very brief cameo in Baron Munchausen.   Not a fan of that man generally but it's a great gag and the presence of someone really famous in that part helps sell the joke.   

SockPuppet

Graham Greene in François Truffaut's Day for Night is a bit of a surprise. If only for the stunning wooden performance.

Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall is a great one.

And of course, Lance Armstrong Chuck Norris in Dodgeball.

neveragain

Quote from: Ignatius_S on August 25, 2012, 12:22:08 PM
Mmm, more of a supporting role really. The film wasn't that badly received - far better than most were expecting and the team behind it obviously have a great love for the originals. The Three Stooges are still very popular in the States and have displayed a longevity that a lot of other comedy teams didn't.

I personally near-loved the film, for the respect shown and the general smile that lingered on my face throughout (it flagged a bit near the end, never mind), but thought Larry was worth a mention. I certainly had no knowledge of his appearance, going in, and he was pretty, pretty good.

Wrestler Kevin Nash plays the mutated Shredder at the end of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

Billy Ray Cyrus in Mulholland Drive.

Tom Petty playing himself(?) in The Postman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRa8FDL2ts

Gulftastic

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 25, 2012, 09:46:17 PM

Anyway, almost all of the cast of Taxi playing themselves in Man on the Moon 20-years after the original show went out was bloody odd.

And to add to the oddness of most of them playing themselves, Danny De Vito plays someone else entirely.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 28, 2012, 07:35:51 PM
And to add to the oddness of most of them playing themselves, Danny De Vito plays someone else entirely.

Great call - I didn't even register that!