Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you went "Fucking hell!"

Started by madhair60, August 12, 2012, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I was just playing Binary Domain, which I can now heartily recommend for the cheap prices it seems to command.  The first chapter was really quite dull, very rote and grey and ugly and average.  Then I got to chapter two, which was a huge step-up and suddenly the game came into its own.  Then this happened. (1080p image)

I mean, shit!  That's like an old-school boss if I ever saw one.  And it was fun to fight, too!  Taking the armour off the legs before destroying them, sending it crashing to the ground.  Spectacular stuff, and well worth persevering for.

Anyway, things in games that made you go "fucking hell"?  Good or bad?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'll be superficial to start with. The opening of the demo of Splinter Cell for the Xbox, in the courtyard my jaw hit the floor.

That'll teach me to play computer games laid down.

It was the first game I'd seen with the full hardware exploited. Unbelievable lighting and shadowing, curtains that flap in the breeze and move like real curtains when you touch them. 

I'm a bit of a sucker for any major step forward in simulating reality. The actual graphics and modelling for the game weren't even that good, but the quality of the animation and the lighting manages to cover over a multitude of sins.

I spent a good half an hour just walking around the courtyard looking at the leaves blowing, looking at the shadows moving in the moonlight. Just a bit impressed.

Jamie Oliver is fat

when the alien jumped up at the screen on rescue on fractulus

During the Battlefield 3 beta when when they suddenly released the Caspian Border map. Gorgeous and amazing 64 player fun. Everyone in global chat was joyous and just blown away.

mcbpete

This bit on Journey -

(If you've played it I'm sure you'll remember this moment !)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Weeping Angels-esque bit in Condemned. By far the scariest bit in a game I've ever played: You're making your way through a run down department store in which the baddies have disguised themselves as mannequins. That's creepy enough by itself, but then your vision starts going all freaky and a large group of mannequins in the distance suddenly appear[nb]Just like me, they long to be close to you[/nb] all around you, blocking your way and scaring the absolute bejesus out of you.

Lee Van Cleef

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the escape from the Lich King in the Halls of Reflection instance, from World of Warcraft.  First time I did that my heart was pounding and afterwards when we escaped to the airship I'm fairly sure I let out a 'fucking hell'.

When the soldier pops a bomb in the vent you're crawling through in Half-Life and you have to peg it back due to the backdraft. My earliest fucking hell at the tender age of about 12.

QDRPHNC

The start of the first Modern Warfare where you're bundled into a car and driven through chaotic streets with people running and being lined up and shot, before being dragged into a courtyard, strung up and executed.

The airport level in Modern Warfare 2. People were making a big deal about it, but shooting innocent people didn't sound like that big a deal to me (in video games I mean). Then I watched it on YouTube, and the music combined with the realism of the graphics made it genuinely unsettling.

The start of Bioshock where you swim through dark water towards a door, then the lights come on revealing the beautiful art deco art design for the first time. Really superb.

I don't play very many video games, so these things may be taken as read for the majority of you. But they did make me go Fucking Hell.

Mister Six

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 13, 2012, 04:59:25 PM
The start of Bioshock where you swim through dark water towards a door, then the lights come on revealing the beautiful art deco art design for the first time. Really superb.

Not quite a 'fucking hell' moment, but the 'So I created... Rapture' reveal is possibly one of the greatest bits of videogame direction I've ever seen.

Proper 'fucking hell' moment: every five minutes or so in the original SNES Clock Tower. Especially the random event that can be triggered when you go near the piano. Aaaaargh!

Also, the appearance of the spooky Sadako girl at the top of the ladder in the original FEAR. Shame that game ran out of ideas. By the end it was just, 'Oh, there's that fella with the gouged-out eyes again. Should've gone to Specsavers, you daft cunt. I expect the little girl will pop up so-- yep, there she is. Hope I get to shoot her soon.'

FEAR 2 was disappointing, but its ending sequence must surely featue the first female-on-male rape[nb]Or sexual assault, if you want to get all UK law about it.[/nb] scene in videogaming history. Bit of a 'fucking hell' moment, but it's a bit buried by an overwhelming feeling of 'fucking hell, is that it?'

Thursday

The
Spoiler alert
Moon
[close]
in Portal 2

That bit posted above from Journey

The Reaper bits on Tuchanka and Rannoch in Mass Effect 3

The bit near the end of Metal Gear Solid 3 where you're in the sidecar of a bike, firing at other bikes and people on floating hover platforms as they pursue through the forest as rain pours down on you.

Any time Dog tears shit up in Half Life 2 and onwards.

Hearing (then seeing) the T-Rex rollerskate into view in Tomb Raider. I can laugh about it now but at the time it was terrible.

Realising that Championship Manager 97/98 had a data editor.

Playing Action Quake in a clan for the first time.

The Avion battle in Shadow of the Colossus.

Quote from: Thursday on August 13, 2012, 06:02:07 PM
That bit posted above from Journey

The only jaw-dropping FUUUUUCK moment I've experienced in any current generation console game. Crysis 2 and the Uncharteds had their "Wow, that's impressive" set pieces, and Red Dead Redemption's Mexico crossing was wonderful but that brief section from Journey is out on its own.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 13, 2012, 04:59:25 PM
The start of the first Modern Warfare where you're bundled into a car and driven through chaotic streets with people running and being lined up and shot, before being dragged into a courtyard, strung up and executed.

While we're on Modern Warfare, the
Spoiler alert
nuclear bomb
[close]
moment. That bit where
Spoiler alert
he crawls out of the helicopter only to die shortly after
[close]
is still one of the most powerful things I've seen in all of gaming.

Big Jack McBastard

Last night on GoW3 when I dropped 236 levels back down to fucking 1 in a glitch.

Arseholes!

mook

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on August 14, 2012, 10:13:55 AM
While we're on Modern Warfare, the
Spoiler alert
nuclear bomb
[close]
moment. That bit where
Spoiler alert
he crawls out of the helicopter only to die shortly after
[close]
is still one of the most powerful things I've seen in all of gaming.

was it in MW where one of the missions is as a gunner in a helicopter gunship? i found that a bit "fucking hell", nevermind that i'd probably "killed" dozens of folk in the game to reach that point - it was just a little too like the actual infrared (?) videos shown of gunships attacking ground targets.

Quote from: mook on August 14, 2012, 10:42:14 AM
was it in MW where one of the missions is as a gunner in a helicopter gunship?

Yeah, http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Death_From_Above

Supposedly based on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkoWEMCnLQ

In game, you're not allowed to hit the church. In the video, they're not allowed to hit the mosque.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Big Jack McBornOutOfWedlock on August 14, 2012, 10:25:23 AM
Last night on GoW3 when I dropped 236 levels back down to fucking 1 in a glitch.

Arseholes!

That's supposed to happen - you didn't think Zeus was going to let you beat him that early on, did you? You've got to fight your way back up through the Underworld, climb your way back up Mount Olympus and enact revenge on Gaia on the way.

Old Nehamkin

I've been replaying the first Metal Gear Solid, and all these years on I still giggled with delight at the bit where Psycho Mantis tells you to put the controller on the ground and makes it move with the rumble pack. It's such a simple trick, but I still think it was just a totally genius idea.

Cerys

Probably the first totally unexpected random dragon attack in Skyrim - so quite a while ago.  Noy so much a 'fucking hell!' as a 'fuckinellllllllllllllll...' as I backed up against a handy wall.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Skyrim dragon moment is a big one, especially as killing it involves completely different skills and movements to anything you've encountered, as well as it being the hardest thing you've had to kill (depending on difficulty level).

However, crawling out of the cave into the open world was just as big a wow moment, seeing the rabbits and foxes and the plants blowing in the breeze, and hearing that lingering note for the first time. I like the fact that a game so ostensibly about relentless butchery is also the game which has possibly had the most care and attention towards the beauty of it.

Don_Preston

Was it Metal Gear Solid 2 where (I think it's on the oil rig) there's a very high ladder climb which finally takes you back to the outside, with a glorious setting sun getting bigger?

Although not as impressive as trying to find an image of this, only to find Buster Merryfield's smiling portrait as one of the results.

Cerys

Just now.  Learned word that summons dragon.  Fucking hell!

QDRPHNC

Just played through Journey based on this thread. A lot of fucking hell moments, but I mostly liked the subtle, quiet fucking hell feeling you get being joined by another player.

Ambient Sheep

Going back a long way, the first time I ever saw Wolfenstein 3D.  Genuinely amazing for the time.  Still is, for the hardware it will run on.

Hangthebuggers

The nuclear bomb in one of the COD games.

The moment you escape the vault in FO3 and you're left with a huge wasteland to wander.

Realising the zombies come back to life in the Gamecube remake of resident evil.

mook

the bit when you finally get into mexico in red dead redemption. actually, it's about time i played that game again.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on August 27, 2012, 07:43:48 PM
The nuclear bomb in one of the COD games.

I got negative karma for saying that.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on August 27, 2012, 08:09:55 PM
I got negative karma for saying that.

I just gave you some more negative karma for dragging it back up. Jesus.

Phil_A

The whole journey through the caves in Dear Esther, then finally emerging to see the moon shining on the sea. It actually moved me in a way I wasn't expecting.

The opening movie of Final Fantasy VIII. There's no way the rest of the game could've lived up to that(and it didn't), but Jesus, what an intro.