Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Times you went "Fucking hell!"

Started by madhair60, August 12, 2012, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on August 27, 2012, 07:43:48 PM
The moment you escape the vault in FO3 and you're left with a huge wasteland to wander.

Yeah that was nice, it evoked memories of the first Xbox 'fucking hell' moment of stepping out of the prison in Oblivion and seeing the world for the first time. I got a HD TV that day as well, so I spent most of it wandering, looking at flowers going 'Oooo pretty colours.'

easytarget

When the doors lock and the lights go out in Unreal.

About every 2 hours while playing Fez. "Fucking hell it's in 3D!" "Fucking hell I thought it was over BUT IT IS FAR FROM OVER!!" then - "JESUS MOTHERFUCKERINGHELLBASTARDPRICKPARTS the FUCKING save game file is FUCKING CORRUPT!!"
I'm was 104% into Fez.

brat-sampson

I gave up on fez when during my attempt at a NG+ I had to quit during a cutscene. When I came back the cutscene was borked leaving me able to jump around but with nowhere to go and when I tried to start a new game again, expecting another attempt at NG+, I just got NG vanilla. Not going through that again...

All recent Fucking Hell! moments have been courtesy of Dark Souls on the PC, which is an utter prick though with online help I'm making slow but steady progress. After *finally* kicking the ass of the Taurus demon I yesterday managed to best the Moonlight Butterfly, though having the Drake sword may be helping me a bit too much... It's an amazing game though, making the smallest baby steps always feels like immense progress.

DJ Solid Snail

Silent Hill 2 - the last time you're exploring the town proper, before you head to the Silent Hill Historical Society, you read a memo in a caravan telling you to go to Neely's Bar, and when you do, you come across THIS (spoilers!). I remember I stopped dead at that point, having never been so unnerved by anything in a video game, ever. And that game is packed with unnerving shit.

Obel

Great post. Also: "THERE WAS A HOLE HERE. IT'S GONE NOW."

mcbpete

When going to uni I didn't have enough space to pack my TV so I ran my PS2 through a USB capture card into my lappy to use it as a screen. There was near zero lag so played perfectly but it added quite an interesting degradation of the video signal that suited the Silent Hill series perfectly and the somehow it made the "There was a HOLE here" room damn near photo realistic. Not quite sure how, by the mixture of the picture grain, the lighting and textures that got slightly distorted (it sort of gave everything a VHS feel) just looked incredible and was very much a "Fucking hell" moment.

DJ Solid Snail

^ This is why I see no point whatsoever in those HD 'remakes'. It can look grainy as fuck at times, and a bit pixelly in places, but all that only works in its favour. You don't 'gloss up' a game like that.

Oh, and another SH2 "fucking hell" moment for sure is
Spoiler alert
finding your own dead body slumped in a chair. It only just occurred to me during a recent replay the relevance of the fact that the corpse is sitting in front a television, as it's almost the same shot as the hotel room scene at the end, after the game's main gut-punch revelation. As if James watched the tape and then blew his brains out.

Speaking of which, for a game to get away with something so dark as the 'In Water' ending was a "fucking hell" moment in and of itself, especially when it's the first ending you get (which happened to me). It's a pretty morbid idea that this guy spends the whole game looking for his wife, and it turns out she's in his car boot.

Something else mightily disturbing that was cut out of the game (but discovered within the PC data files) is the original audio for the videotape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1C6CckWTs
[close]

God, I love this game. It's disturbing to the point of making me near-nauseous when I play it, as well as putting me constantly on-edge for hours at a time, but as engrossing experiences go, there aren't many better.

(it might seem slightly silly spoilering details on a decade-old game, but I wouldn't want to mess up the experience for anybody)

Cerys

Dammit, I want to play it again now.  Sadly our copy was lent to a friend about ten years ago.  Bah.  Off to Amazon....

Thursday

Yes I've been thinking about a replay of Silent Hill 2 for a bit, and I think this has really put me in the mood. Considered getting the HD collection, but they made such a hash of it completely put me off.

These 2 memo's in silent hill 2 always gave me the shivers. Partly just due to the atmosphere of it being Night in the streets and what's just happened at the Hospital earlier.

Spoiler alert

Memo Title: "The key is in the park."

Or perhaps you are a fool.
The truth usually betrays people.

A part of that abyss is
in the old society.

The key to the society
is in the park.
At the foot of the praying
woman, inside of the ground,
inside of a box.
To open it, I need a wrench.

My patient buried it there.
I knew, but I did nothing.
It made me uneasy to have
such a thing near.
I wasn't looking for the truth,
I was looking for tranquility.

I also saw that thing.
I fled, but the museum
was sealed as well.
Now no one dares to
approach that place.

If you still do not wish to stop,
James,
I pray to the Lord to have
mercy on your eternal soul.

Memo Title: Words written on the wall.
If you really want to SEE Mary,
you should just DIE.

But you might be heading to
a different place than MARY, James.

[close]

I'm not sure why, but more than anything else this was the point where I was more scared to go forward, and it's especially as it's near the long walk down the historical society, which makes you feel like you are literally walking down to hell. I just stood still looking at the words at these points.

Cerys

I've just had to tell Bethan that no, she won't be allowed to watch while I play Silent Hill.  Having been given a fairly graphic description od some of the visuals, she said 'but I wouldn't be scared of that!'

I'm tempted to let her watch just the start of the game and see how long it is before she agrees that yes, maybe it's a bit too scary for her.

Subtle Mocking

I've just spoiled all of this for myself, but I still want to play it. Even though I've just put on clean underwear.

Thursday

Quote from: Cerys on September 03, 2012, 07:19:09 PM
I've just had to tell Bethan that no, she won't be allowed to watch while I play Silent Hill.  Having been given a fairly graphic description od some of the visuals, she said 'but I wouldn't be scared of that!'

I'm tempted to let her watch just the start of the game and see how long it is before she agrees that yes, maybe it's a bit too scary for her.

Not a bad idea, if she's ever disobeying you, you could threaten to take her to Silent Hill.

Cerys

I couldn't do that to her.  I'm too aware of the fact that she'll be the one choosing my nursing home when I'm old and feeble.

Artemis

Is this restricted to games?

1. The first time I held a laptop connected wirelessly to the internet. That was a real 'BUT IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING!!' moment.

2. TiVo in America. My first experience of stopping and rewinding live television. Jaw and floor met.

The start of the 2nd episode of Telltale's Walking Dead game,
Spoiler alert
savin' the fella from the bear-trap
[close]
Christ...

Thursday

Another unnerving moment I remembered in Silent Hil 2l, the disembodied voice saying "ritual" in the prisons.  It get's weirder when you realize when you can shoot him off screen, but his cries of pain sound more human.

Also endlessly jumping down the holes when there's the most awful siren music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbIV190RoQ&feature=relmfu#t=10m45s which is the scariest sound I've ever heard. You do literally feel like you're about to jump down into hell.

Oh and when you knock on the toilet door, and then go to leave and hear a scream of agony but you still can't open the door. That's the most fucked up jump scare ever. Even worse than the mannequin one in SH3.