Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

'Sightseers'

Started by Bored of Canada, August 13, 2012, 12:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm haven't really posted anything on these forums and I checked around for it to see if anyone posted a thread about it, but, well, I couldn't see it 'round. [nb]Apologies if it was.[/nb]

Anyway, I caught 'Sightseers' (Written by Alice Lowe and Steve Oram) at the Melbourne Film Festival a couple days ago.
Wasn't quite sure what I was expecting but overall, it was pretty damn good. Definitely had its fair share of decent laughs (And disgusted mutters and unimpressed headshakes from the couple a few seats down from me).
It wasn't perfect but I'd be really interested in seeing more from these guys.

So yeah, I think I'd recommend seeing it. A few points fell a bit flat for me, but, well, why do I gotta be so negative towards films all the time, eh? Point is, I really enjoyed it overall, and I'd recommend it. 

Anyway, it's screened in a few places so I'm just curious to see if anyone else has seen it and/or enjoyed it?

Mini

I want to see it because it's Ben Wheatley and I loved Kill List.

Theremin

Also, Alice Lowe, who I quite like, despite her never having made anything good enough to really justify that emotion.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about Alice Lowe. Just really, really inexplicably like her.
To be fair, she's been in a lot of things I really bloody like.

Plus, I thought her short films with Jacqueline Wright were crackin'.

Theremin

Did anyone ever hear her 'Wunderland' radio series? Was that any good?

Mini

Did anyone see Wheatley's first film, Down Terrace? Is it good?

ZoyzaSorris

Down Terrace was filmed in and named after a dodgyish street just round the corner from where my parents live in Brighton, where I used to buy a quarter of rhubarb and custards or other primeval sweet on a regular basis on my way home from school.
It made me feel sick.

The bag of sweets I mean.

And the film.

(Worth a watch though, even if you didn't grow up there)

Beagle 2

Quote from: Theremin on August 14, 2012, 10:44:02 AM
Did anyone ever hear her 'Wunderland' radio series? Was that any good?

I didn't like it at all to be honest, but I only gave it one listen. It was fairly difficult to concentrate on because much of it was delivered in whimsy based nonsense speak. I do like her in general though, and this looks brilliant. Trailer up here: http://blog.sightseersmovie.com/the-sightseers-trailer-rolls-on-in/

phantom_power

Sightseers looks like A Room For Romeo Brass mixed with Fred and Rose West. It will be a tricky tightrope to walk to get the tone right, judging from the trailer

Theremin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on August 29, 2012, 03:07:16 PMTrailer up here: http://blog.sightseersmovie.com/the-sightseers-trailer-rolls-on-in/

Yep, still digging this. I do believe that may have been Mr. Tony Way getting run over by a caravan.

Also enjoyed the crotchless knitwear lingerie.

Do agree about the tone, though. I do have a vague amount of trust in Ben Wheatley to mix comedy and grimness, judging from the (very) few lighthearted bits in Kill List, and I'm hoping Edgar Wright producing could be a decent guiding hand.

Mini

Just saw this, and have to say it instantly became my film of the year. Constantly hilarious and gloriously dark, it keeps you laughing right through to its wonderful ending. Lowe is particularly hilarious, and no one can make me laugh and recoil at the same time quite like Ben Wheatley.

Theremin

Just got back from seeing this, and I second the 'hilarious' assessment. Jam-packed with fantastic performances, and the cinematography is beautiful.

I wasn't surprised to hear Wheatley edited/wrote this with his partner, because it absolutely nails the mundane details of Tina and Chris' relationship. It was actually a bit scary how relatable found most of their interactions.

The film's marketing seems to be trying to push it as 'the new Withnail & I'. I don't know that it's that good, but it's bloody close. The entire thing's set in picturesque countryside and twee old buildings, which gives the whole thing this quite timeless feel. I feel like that could help it age well.

Also, what did everyone think of
Spoiler alert
the ending?

I'm currently going back and forth between two basic interpretations:

a) Tina let Chris jump because she had a moment of clarity and realised that was the only way she could hope to escape the destructive path they were on.

b) Tina let Chris jump because she couldn't bear to go through with it. To her, the whole trip had been a game, a way of playing make-believe to fulfill her repressed desires. But, unlike adolescent fantasies, there's no putting down your toys and walking away at the end. The reason Tina loved the idea of a 'romantic' double suicide earlier is because it was a fantasy. When it came to the real thing, though, fear took over.
[close]

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Theremin on August 14, 2012, 02:28:25 AM
Also, Alice Lowe, who I quite like, despite her never having made anything good enough to really justify that emotion.

She's a good performer who's been largely wasted in bad shows (eg. Darkplace).

Psybro

Just seen this and loved it.  Opening night multiplex showing was pretty packed, I think this could potentially be a sleeper, although it's not as accessible as say, Shaun of the Dead.

The scene on the moor at dawn was wonderfully shot, and I dug the soundtrack too.  I don't have much time for 'dark' and I try my best to hate everything, but I was gushing about this.  I came on here because I thought there'd be a thread of it, I know I only have 3 posts but I swear I'm not a viral campaign.  Only thing I would say is that "Hilarious" is a bit strong for me, there were a couple of scenes that I was busting up over and tons of wry smiles, but, you know, don't go expecting a lorra lorra lolz.

Quote from: Theremin on November 30, 2012, 09:28:02 PM
Spoiler alert
the ending?

a) Tina let Chris jump because she had a moment of clarity and realised that was the only way she could hope to escape the destructive path they were on.

b) Tina let Chris jump because she couldn't bear to go through with it. To her, the whole trip had been a game, a way of playing make-believe to fulfill her repressed desires. But, unlike adolescent fantasies, there's no putting down your toys and walking away at the end. The reason Tina loved the idea of a 'romantic' double suicide earlier is because it was a fantasy. When it came to the real thing, though, fear took over.
[close]

Spoiler alert
I would tend towards a), but my first thought strangely enough was "My God, what if she's done this before!?" even though there's absolutely nothing to suggest that in the film.
[close]

neveragain

Guts In May - brilliant, tagger!

Paaaaul

Just seen this. As enjoyable as it was, I'm not sure it's got as much emotional or intellectual depth to it as Kill List and probably won't get as many replays chez Paaaaul.
I may have missed something though, as the ending baffled me.

Quote from: Mini on August 14, 2012, 06:47:31 PM
Did anyone see Wheatley's first film, Down Terrace? Is it good?
It's probably on a par with Sightseers for me. They both share a streak of very similar black humour.
The DVD has some amazing extras though, including some gob-smacking homemade special effects shots.

neveragain

Just seen it, and I think it does have some thought put into the psychological side of things.. it's just occasionally let down by some very silly dialogue. But direction, music, cinematography - perfect. Lead performances - perfect. Ending - quite adrenalin-pumping. And the structure wasn't too bad either. A shame that the mother was a terrible actress but you can't have everything.

I found out later I'd actually seen both Alice Lowe and Steve Oram onstage (with Steve Coogan on his last tour) but blocked it out because their support sketches were terrible. Some of them even ended without a single clap.

BlodwynPig

Was a bit apprehensive about seeing this after seeing the trailer - not another Tainted Love soundtrack ffs.

But it was fantastic and I enjoyed the humour. But my favourite bits take place toward the end - the barren and majestic area around Ribblehead were stunning as were the scenes acted out there with the "friend". His ending was gloriously dark and funny.

The ending revealed
Spoiler alert
her to be the more psychopathic of the duo - cold calculating and demented
[close]

Neville Chamberlain

Watched this last night and can only agree that it is indeed a fantastic film! This Ben Wheatley's pretty bloody good, isn't he? I don't think I've been as interested or excited about a single director's output in a long time...and I haven't even seen Down Terrace!

As for the ending,
Spoiler alert
I agree with you, blodders old boy.
[close]

Retinend

turns out that Alice Lowe isn't the same person as "Barbara Durkin." Mind blown. They even have the same speaking voice.

grassbath

Had mixed feelings on this one. I found a lot of moments in it were pretty horrific and uncomfortable to watch but the general consensus of the cinema audience was that they were fucking hilarious. Hearty guffaws all round (mingled with OOOHs of laughingly satisfied disgust much the same as when a comedian tells a controversial or questionable joke) when
Spoiler alert
the Daily Mail reading gentleman had his face smashed in
[close]
. The writers also seemed to be quite scatologically preoccupied-
Spoiler alert
do a poo and rub it on your face like a brown lipstick
[close]
etc. Maybe I was just thrown by it being more of a comedy than I expected from the trailer.

neveragain

Yes, I wasn't fond of the constant 'pooing and fro-ing'.

grassbath

Quote from: Theremin on November 30, 2012, 09:28:02 PM

Spoiler alert
the ending?

[close]

Spoiler alert
I would like to say a). In fact I'd like to say either a) or b), but the truth is that I felt the ending was a bit of a cheap joke, a final blaze of bathos; after the romantic buildup of the disturbingly lump-in-throat Frankie Goes To Hollywood montage, he crunches to the ground and everyone claps happily 'cos that's the end. I would have really preferred to see her return home for the aftermath and consequences of their rampage, or at least see what happened when she reunited with her mother.
[close]

BlodwynPig

I guess you're just going to have be disappointed by Wheatley-endings.

Mini

I loved the ending, ditto Kill List. Too often a film continues for an aftermath scene or two after what would have been a great place to finish. Wheatley's not afraid to just stop at the end of his story.

grassbath

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 16, 2012, 10:02:20 PM
I guess you're just going to have be disappointed by Wheatley-endings.

Maybe. I definitely want to check out more of his films.

zomgmouse

I just saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it, although I did feel it didn't quite manage to straddle disturbing/funny at times. A lot of the lines had a tinge of Chris Morris-y phrasing. Also of note is that Nira Park was one of the producers, and I found it interesting that Alice Lowe and Steve Oram were the principal writers as well as being the two leads. In comparison, Kill List was co-written by Wheatley and Amy Jump (who is credited with "additional material" on Sightseers), so that's perhaps why I felt it had a more cohesive feel to it.

Re the ending, the way I interpreted it was that
Spoiler alert
she realised he didn't love her anymore and she only wanted to jump with someone whom she loved, so that was a way for her to kill him (and my friend pointed out that it's also a way of pinning all the murders on him 'cause he's now dead, but I'm not entirely sure). In any case, I'm still undecided as to how calculating she really is; take the first dog's death, for example - is that now revealed to have been deliberate? Maybe. I'm convincing myself more and more. But not completely, yet.
[close]

zomgmouse

Or, another thought:
Spoiler alert
She topped him because he did love her and she habitually pushed people who loved her away, a remnant from her upbringing.
[close]

Morrison Lard

Just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dark, funny and twisted as fuck.

Noodle Lizard

I got an erection earlier and it actually hurt a bit, is that normal??