Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:48:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Sightseers'

Started by Bored of Canada, August 13, 2012, 12:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 27, 2013, 09:59:28 PM
Just watched this and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dark, funny and twisted as fuck.

Yeah, I watched it tonight and loved it, though I was relieved it didn't traumatise me as much as Kill List did. Wheatley's shaping up to be quite a unique director, and someone whose work I'll definitely see at the cinema from now on.

As for the ending, it's obviously open to question but
Spoiler alert
I just saw it as her realising that she didn't want to die as she was finally enjoying life so much, and (though this is stretching it a bit) her wanting to continue killing for as long as possible.
[close]

acrow

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 01, 2013, 12:32:40 AM
Yeah, I watched it tonight and loved it, though I was relieved it didn't traumatise me as much as Kill List did. Wheatley's shaping up to be quite a unique director, and someone whose work I'll definitely see at the cinema from now on.

As for the ending, it's obviously open to question but
Spoiler alert
I just saw it as her realising that she didn't want to die as she was finally enjoying life so much, and (though this is stretching it a bit) her wanting to continue killing for as long as possible.
[close]

while that might be a stretch, i saw it in a similar way.
Spoiler alert
she definitely seemed to enjoy what she was doing and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that her character would relish the chance of doing things her own way now that she's got a taste for it.
[close]

and i'm with you on wheatley. kill list just blew me away and made me feel really uneasy. i know it's very polarising but i loved it.

have you seen down terrace smbh? it's definitely worth a look too.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: acrow on April 01, 2013, 12:56:26 AM
while that might be a stretch, i saw it in a similar way.
Spoiler alert
she definitely seemed to enjoy what she was doing and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that her character would relish the chance of doing things her own way now that she's got a taste for it.
[close]

and i'm with you on wheatley. kill list just blew me away and made me feel really uneasy. i know it's very polarising but i loved it.

have you seen down terrace smbh? it's definitely worth a look too.

Yeah, I absolutely loved Kill List. I knew nothing about it and came out of the cinema feeling quite traumatised in a way I haven't since...Probably Lost Highway, thinking about it. It took about half an hour for me to feel back to normal, it really was an odd sensation that films don't usually have on me.

And I haven't seen Down Terrace yet but definitely plan to now.

BlodwynPig

Just got Down Terrace for 2 quid on amazon...

Paaaaul

Ouch! I got a brand new copy in Poundland last year.

Down Terrace is a decent film, but the homemade special effects reel in the special features is the best part of the DVD. I have watched the 'axe trick' at least a dozen times.

Jemble Fred

Finally saw this last night, and it was weird to read this thread and see all the theorising about the end take a fair few months to get to the point which I have to admit I just assumed when I saw it,
Spoiler alert
that she needed him dead to take all the blame, and allow her to get on with her new murderous way of life – and above all, she was a serial killer and she wanted to see him die.
[close]

I was surprised that it wore its debt to Nuts In May so very proudly, it almost felt like a reboot, with added gore. But that it can be mentioned in the same breath is a definite recommendation.

I really will have to get hold of Kill List now, although it really doesn't look like the kind of film I would bother with if I hadn't been so impressed with this – and so stoked for 'A Field In England'.

SteveDave

I saw this on Monday & loved it. I really didn't like Kill List but then this isn't written by Ben Wheatley & Amy Jump so that might be the reason. There's an ending to this film that makes some sense.

I really like Steve Oram. I was trying to think where I'd seen him before & then it came to me (via IMDB) that he was the tramp in the Crack Fox episode of The Mighty Boosh.

zomgmouse

I recently watched Steve Coogan Live as Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Characters and both Lowe and Oram played various roles in it.

Custard

Saw this tonight, and absolutely loved it too.

Funny, grisly, with one of the best endings I've seen in ages, great stuff

I'd recommend Down Terrace too. The DVD cover is a bit off-putting, making it look like some kind of shitty Mad Frankie Fraser biog, directed by Nick Love, but it's brilliant

Along with Kill List, I'd say Ben Wheately is three for three so far. Will now get really excited over any of his future works

Pete23

Just watched this and thought it was okay but not brilliant (probably because of all the rave reviews raising my expectations). Anyway, that ending -
Spoiler alert
I thought that, as she'd seen how he wanted the holiday to end in his book, she just let him have the ending he wanted, feeling like she owed it to him after offing Martin and all the arguing. I reckon she'd go right back to her old life and just treat this as a nice memory but be under her mum's thumb just like before.
[close]
. But with Poppy 2.

Custard

Amazingly, despite all the grim murdering going on, one of the things that really struck me as unpleasant was her being shagged unlovingly from behind, with her face down in a bowl of pot pourri

Pete23

But she loved Pot Pourri.

Custard

BlodwynPig

Jemble Fred

Judging by the exact same post on the Kill List thread, it's just trolling.

checkoutgirl

I watched this last night and was sorry I did. Loved Kill List and quite liked Down Terrace but this really lost it's way around the half way mark for me. I suppose I just stopped believing in the premise by that stage and the ending was a joke. I'd still count myself as a Wheatley fan but watching this has made me think twice about going to see A Field In England at the cinema. I'll put this one down as a blip in an otherwise interesting oeuvre. I toyed with the idea of seeing it as a study on Myra Hindley or Rose West but it didn't help with my enjoyment of the film.

I just read on IMDB that this is supposed to be a comedy!! I've got to stop drinking while I'm watching films. I had polished off a bottle of this

by the time I started watching the thing and booze tends to retard my enjoyment of films.

acrow

only a really really stupid person could fail to see the comedy in this film.

maybe just stop watching films altogether and focus on the drinking.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: acrow on April 07, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
only a really really stupid person could fail to see the comedy in this film.

maybe just stop watching films altogether and focus on the drinking.

1. I am stupid, thanks for making me feel self conscious about it.

2. Alcoholism is not a joke and

D. Fuck you.

6. You complete cunt.

Jemble Fred

Alcoholism isn't a joke? Try telling that to Frankie Boyle. And this fella:

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jemble Fred on April 03, 2013, 09:18:11 AM

I was surprised that it wore its debt to Nuts In May so very proudly, it almost felt like a reboot, with added gore. But that it can be mentioned in the same breath is a definite recommendation.

I finally saw this last night and went back to an old copy of Sight and Sound for an interview with Steve Oram. In that, he stated that they were really wary of the NiM comparisons and actually edited stuff out - mainly the stuff more to do with camping and maps etc - to try and move away from it.

Jemble Fred

He should have picked a different accent for a start...

Johnny Townmouse

I just finished watching this and I have to say that I was completely and utterly won over. I'm pretty neutral to Kill List and find most comedy of this type to be awful. But there was something about it - and I think it was the tone. Most films are structured according to audiences experiencing character and plot development, whereas Sightseers is all about tone, at least for the first act. The moment when he comes out of the police station after killing Tony Blunder you immediately understand that this is an exaggerated and surreal exercise in ridiculousness. The over-taking the posh couple and the blood on the wheel scene extends this. There were some proper brilliant comedy lines in the film - I'm going to have to watch it again so that I can remember them. They were all from the female lead though.

I also really enjoyed the way the killing scenes are done in such a heavy-handedly stylised way - as it sits in direct contrast to the social realist tone of the film. It works remarkably well.

Interesting that people are drawing the Nuts in May influence - particularly because the leads do not have West Midlands accents - just the Noddy Holder bloke that turns up later. For me, by far the biggest influence is Leigh's other couple-comedy-drama, High Hopes. The way they interact reminds me so much more of the couple in High Hopes than any other film I can think of.

This is a wonderful, ridiculous, brave and hilarious film. I'm really rather astonished by how much I liked it, as it has been sitting on my PC for weeks and I have been putting it off. Bravo Wheatley. I suspect that I will consider this your best film for some time.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 11, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
Interesting that people are drawing the Nuts in May influence - particularly because the leads do not have West Midlands accents - just the Noddy Holder bloke that turns up later.

Well yes, hence the inevitable comparisons. It is pretty uncanny, the accents compound the similarities, even if they are switched from a supporting character to the main couple. I'm shocked that they made any attempt to distance themselves from Leigh's film when it can only seem like a transparent homage, and they'd have to be a bit daft to deny it.

SteveDave

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 11, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
There were some proper brilliant comedy lines in the film - I'm going to have to watch it again so that I can remember them. They were all from the female lead though.

Apart from

"You're evil...and possibly a witch. Yeah, you're a witch"

Clint Hollow

Yeah and -

"that dog may have blood on it's paws, but it was Simon's sense of self-satisfaction that ultimately led to his demise."

- or something like that. Creased me up, bro.

Johnny Townmouse

ThickAndCreamy

Finally got around to watching this last weekend and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt refreshingly offbeat and surprisingly brutal in its violence and atmosphere. That it so regularly seemed to titter on the edge between comedy and horror is what made it so likeable, I wasn't expecting it to be quite so downbeat and dark. It was rather unsettling at points, mainly as both of the main characters were rather dislikeable, although I did end up having a soft spot for Tina, just out of her perseverance to make the holiday fun. It just felt so down-to-earth and British in dialogue, location and character, charming and hilarious in it's grey realism of a terrible British holiday.

Well recommended, and rather excellent to see a good British comedy film being made.

SteveDave

Mini

My favourite bit is Alice Lowe writing a heartfelt letter with a comedically oversized pencil.