Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 8

Started by Jamie Oliver is fat, August 18, 2012, 11:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Oliver is fat

So, fuck it, feet first jumped into this

Upgrade took about 20 minutes from Windows 7

My first go on Metro in a VM was a disaster, I hated it

But I've got to say, even on a desktop PC with mouse and keyboard, I really, really like it

On a touch device, Microsoft are on to an absolute winner with this

For desktop users, we get the traditional desktop with this Metro overlay that gives us a nice, bold easy to use Android/iPhone type interface with the obvious app store and apps that provide live updates within their own tiles on the home screen, and open into gorgeous full screen, full featured apps when opened

It's definitely designed for touch interfaces, but is a step up from Windows 7 IMO if you like a homescreen that can display weather, headlines, emails etc all on one screen

The desktop experience is initially clumsy, but you soon get used to it. Explorer is simpler and cleaner and now has the initially hated ribbon that I now can see the benefits of over traditional drop down menus

Takes a bit of time to work through the tiles removing the ones you don't want from the start screen, and adding the ones you do, and I think MS Office 2013 will work best in terms of displaying a mail summary

Windows key switches between desktop and start screen instantly, can't for the life of me figure out how to close apps at the moment, but ALT-F4 does the job

Works really well as a desktop PC, and I can't wait to see a proper touch Surface device running it

Makes IOS and Android look like kids toys IMO

The only positive group of words I've ever read about it.

Even El Reg grudgingly had a few kind words hidden in a recent review: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/16/windows_8_rtm_review/page2.html

I can see that the Metro apps forced to be in full-screen could annoy some, but I run all apps full-screen anyway (1080p, 24inch). It just looks cluttered to me, if you see lots of apps haphazardly piled on each other.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Switching between them is fairly quick, but with a big screen I would say most people have apps in a desktop environment spread around a bit, and not full screen

The home screen works well for me, you can move all the apps around (including non-metro) and resize them, it's better than my preferred way of accessing apps which was via the initial menu you get when you click the start button