Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Closure of Sony Liverpool (TAFKA Psygnosis)

Started by The Boston Crab, August 23, 2012, 09:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
There's certainly an interesting discussion around what this represents for the current/future games industry but I mostly wanted to suggest that the goodbye image on its FB page was 'giving the finger' to Sony.

Shadow Of The Beast was one of the first games I felt created a whole world beyond what I saw in the game. I got massively into Wipeout 2097 later on and I don't think any racing game has come close to the exhilaration of a perfect lap on Valparaiso; you can experience a beautiful, peaceful, heightened trance state. Lemmings was enormous at the time, of course. I played it loads yet I never actually enjoyed it very much! So long and up yours, Psygnosis.

Obel

Makes me really sad : (

I've always been a huge fan of Wipeout. It was such a tight, well made package, everything about it fit perfectly from the gameplay, to the graphics, to the music. Beautiful really. The Wipeout HD Fury title screen when I first saw it gave me the boner of a lifetime.

RIP.

Temped there for a few months testing games into the early hours. Loved the place; have never experienced a more enjoyable working atmosphere. They even gave me a spare PS2 to keep! Tested predominantly first-party titles and they were all cack (this was the mid-00s) so perhaps this sad news was inevitable.

Uncle TechTip

We're never going to see Bandersnatch, are we. The studio keeps closing before they have chance to finish it. Are there any other remnants of the Liverpool 80s game-making scene left?

mobias

Sony's Evolution Studios who do Motorstorm are based in Liverpool aren't they? They're still going strong

DAZZA DIRTBOLLOCK

Psygnosis gave me some amazing memories, some of which were mentioned in the OP. Perhaps this is all my fault, if I'd only upgraded my PC demo of Darker to the full version things would surely be different.