Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[Interest Check] Saturday Night Fry '98

Started by extraordinary walnuts, July 01, 2004, 06:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anybody interested in these? I taped 5 of em back in the day. They are rubbish compared to the original Saturday Night Fry shows, but they do feature Armando Iannucci, Tom Baker & etc.

Jemble Fred

I remember my fandom being sorely tested by these discussion programmes – I listened to them all bar the Richard Curtis one, and either they were very dull, or I was too green to fully appreciate them, being only a little boy of 20 at the time. Either way, it was a cheat to use that title for them.

Bogey

Whilst foraging around for proper SNF episodes*, I came across a piece of music by a Brazillian chap named Zeca Baleiro. It was called "Por Onde Andara Stephen Fry". I'm not entirely sure what this means, Dictionary.com gives a rough translation of something like "for where walks Stephen Fry".
It's quite nice to listen to in fact, quiet and latinish, but I'd love to know more out of sheer curiosity.
Anyone?

*I've got 30th Apr '88; 14th, 21st, 28th May '88; 4th June '88; 24th Mar '90 if anyone's interested by the way.

benthalo

The 1998 SNF was yet another one of those horrid Loose Ends children, like The Beaton Generation or the slightly better The Treatment on Radio 5. I've got all the shows but I've never gone beyond the Iannucci edition which I think went out first. I certainly wouldn't sniff at the idea of it being shared - there are a few bits of interest to regulars of this site.

mitzidog

As with all stuff that is "not as good as" the good stuff which nearly everyone has (such as the proper SNFs), it is impossible to make a judgement until we've had a chance to hear it.

Any programme with Fry and Iannucci in is worth investigating, even if it's lower in quality than other stuff.

If there is any difficulty getting it encoded I can help with that, but I can't host it sadly ;-(

Hope we can all get to hear it.

Oh, they're all encoded already. In fact I think I encoded them directly from the radio back in 1998.

Perhaps I'll set up a torrent over the weekend, or share them on Soulseek if I can figure it out (I've only just got it working on my iBook and haven't really got to grips with it yet)

Bogey, the Zeca Baleiro song is actually discussed during one of the SNF episodes - apparently it was written after Baleiro heard about Fry's disappearing act  - you know, when he walked out of the play he was appearing in and buggered off to Belgium without telling anyone. Anyway, they played a bit of it on the show, Fry seemed quite bemused.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

He did a genuinely brave one on paedophilia, I remember, shooting down every received opinion in sight and worrying most of the panel in the process. 'We shouldn't let paedophiles off the hook though, should we Stephen?' asked one. 'Well, we shouldn't let *ourselves* off the hook either...'

Refreshing for 6pm anyway, and three years before Morris made much the same points.

meta

I have the original comedy Saturday Night Fry in MP3, if anyone's still looking.

Neil

Quote from: "meta"I have the original comedy Saturday Night Fry in MP3, if anyone's still looking.

Thanks, but the unedited ones are going up here in the next couple of weeks.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"He did a genuinely brave one on paedophilia, I remember, shooting down every received opinion in sight and worrying most of the panel in the process. 'We shouldn't let paedophiles off the hook though, should we Stephen?' asked one. 'Well, we shouldn't let *ourselves* off the hook either...'

Refreshing for 6pm anyway, and three years before Morris made much the same points.

Which edition featured this discussion? I don't think it's worth listening to them all to try and find it.

ApexJazz

Well, I would be interested in the Saturday Night Fry panel shows if nobody else is.