Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen King's IT/IT Remake

Started by Goldentony, August 28, 2012, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

SO THEN

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-be-adapted-by-334899

How about that. After about three years of relative silence after all the initial buzz of Dave Kajganich's treatment, this remake finally gets a pair of wheels. Remake might be the wrong word for it, as it's a different format to the TV version and it's based on a book anyway.

Does anyone give much of a fuck about this? In the right hands, Stephen King material can be wonderful ala The Shining, Shawshank and The Mist, but when it's bad it just turns out to be absolute dreck. The original IT adaptation isn't much cop, but what it does have going for it is fantastic. Tim Curry as Pennywise is absolutely unbelievable and really a performance that deserves more attention. That plus the score save it from being totally unwatchable, plus the general, gloomy overtone is just about perfect. Thing is though, and this is why the prospect of this being in two parts is especially exciting, the book just has so much shit in it. Too much. Turtles, Black Lagoon creatures, flying leeches, visions from millions of years ago, burning clubhouses and smoke holes. Tons of shit. At three hours, the original barely managed a paltry amount.

I enjoy the book enough to want to see another big budget, giant fuck off of a film attempt at it. This being 2012 though, and with it likely having to be a huge fuck off CGI fuckfest part of me is cautious about getting so excited.

Cerys

While I would love to see a worthwhile adaptation of it, I suspect I'm doomed to disappoitment.

Marty McFly

Films these days tend to be far too long, The Dark Knight Rises was almost three hours, which was the total length of the 1990 miniseries. 2 films of 130-160 minutes in the right hands could include a fair old chunk of the source material although I bet the
Spoiler alert
11-year-olds having sex in the sewers
[close]
scene won't make it to the screen.

El Unicornio, mang

There's also that Carrie remake (the 3rd movie adaptation of it) coming out next year

Which might be good given the two main cast members (Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore)

I've actually never seen It, or read the book, despite being a big King fan. Might have to get on that...

Clint Hollow

I am ridiculously excited about the prospect of this film - IT has been one of my favourite novels for years, and has a wealth of material and imagery to make an unbelievable film, or pair of films. Stephen King's novels definitely have the potential for trilogies etc as they're so dense and often meandering. The stories would benefit from a talented screenwriter.

IT is such a big, beautiful, scary, truthful and ambitious novel that I've always thought it has the potential to be a genuine classic in both literature and film. I liked Cary Fukunaga's Jane Eyre, though it felt like a film wanting to break out of its commercial responsibilities and to go off the map. 

How amazing would it be for IT to fullfil that ambition . . .

Goldentony

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 28, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
2 films of 130-160 minutes in the right hands could include a fair old chunk of the source material although I bet the
Spoiler alert
[close]

Aye, fair point. It's a horror film though, more or less. I'm having a hard time trying to think of any modern horror that just goes on and on for that long, compared to yer drama and action that seems to have taken the Christopher Nolan route of just going on forever. Two ultra long films trying to fit in as much as possible would be fantastic, compared to just giving fans two 90 minute fightfests. Pretty lucky to be getting two films in the first place, because the original idea for the remake, as far as I know, was two hours or so.

I'm still slightly cautious about this because we've yet to hear from anyone signed on about their enthusiasm for the project or the material. I can remember Dave Kajganich doing an interview around the time the news originally broke and he seemed really determined to do the best job possible.

And, aye Clint, it'd be great to see them go absolutely balls out with this.

The original TV version got some things right, but not enough. Having a hard time trying to think of someone capable of pulling off a performance like Tim Curry, too.

Cerys

I just had a premonition.  Jim Carrey.  The problem is that I can't decide if this would be a truly awful thing - or a mindblowingly good one.

Brundle-Fly

Give IT to Showtime to make three seasons with Crispin Glover as Pennywise.

Santa's Boyfriend

If they're not casting Richard Ayoade as Pennywise then I'm not interested.

Utter Shit

The first film scared the bollocks off me as a kid, to the extent that Pennywise still petrifies me now. Some of the performances are laughable and the special effects are shit (especially THAT ending), but the overall story is obviously great and bits of it are still terrifying now. I'd love a good remake.

Custard

Is there still going to be a big spider at the end, who they kill with pebbles?

If not, I'm not coming

Catalogue Trousers

Don't forget, it's even better in the book, where they punch it to death and squash its heart.

I really don't want this. I find It (the book) to be an unfocussed pile of self-indulgent crud. A few nice scenes, but sod me the thing is about the same length as the uncut The Stand and tells a far less gripping, involving, and coherent story. It is very much the point where King starts chucking in any old shit idea that he has and the publishers don't dare pull their cash cow up on it. Okay, he continues to produce occasional doozies like Misery and The Dark Half, but It still continues to suck shit.

And the telly version wasn't so great, either. Not even Tim Curry. Without that costume and make-up, his performance is pretty mediocre.

Bah humbug.

SteveDave

Alan Cummings as Pennywise. I'll put £20 on it.

Cerys

Now, there's a man who could do it.

BritishHobo

Will Poulter to play Pennywise

Hahaha what the fuck?

I've been a huge fan of Poulter since the original pilot for School of Comedy (which he was the clear highlight in), and hoping for years that he'd properly take off. I thought this was a joke when I first saw it, found it really surreal. But... fuck it. I'm in. Pretty hyped to see his take on it.

MuteBanana

Poulter has a very expressive face. I think he could be brilliant for the role.

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on August 30, 2012, 07:21:39 PM

I find It (the book) to be an unfocussed pile of self-indulgent crud. A few nice scenes, but sod me the thing is about the same length as the uncut The Stand and tells a far less gripping, involving, and coherent story.

I agree one hundred percent with this.  Pet Sematery was immeasurably better.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 28, 2012, 10:14:49 PMalthough I bet the
Spoiler alert
[close]

I was gonna mention that, truly one of the fucking weirdest things I ever read.  I thought I'd let my mind drift and actually had to go back a page or two to make sure I hadn't imagined it.  I'm amazed King's editors didn't call him out on that, it sticks out like a sore prepubescent knob.

EDIT: Oh, that post's well ancient.  Oops.

Cerys

I'm always going to be wondering how good Mark Rylance would have been.  Ah well.

Hank_Kingsley

So, do we still think they're going to leave out the pre-pubescent gang bang?

That'd be like making a Dark Tower series and leaving out all the racist bits.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Goldentony on August 28, 2012, 09:48:54 PM
The original IT adaptation isn't much cop, but what it does have going for it is fantastic. Tim Curry as Pennywise is absolutely unbelievable and really a performance that deserves more attention. That plus the score save it from being totally unwatchable

I watched IT a few weeks ago for some reason. Afterwards I read a review that I agreed with completely. Something along the lines of the first part being actually very good with all the kids and that but the whole thing falling apart in the second part when you're dealing with the grown up adults. The first part is great I think, the second half is quite cheesy with all the grown up adults reuniting and standing around talking about IT. It's really quite silly and melodramatic and nonsensical when adults are talking to each other about a supernatural clown monster. Put it in a kid setting though and it works a lot better, it's more symbolic and makes more sense.

Still I think it's worth watching overall. I think the reason I watched it is because I saw Rocky Horror in the cinema last year and I'm fascinated by Tim Curry now and will work my way through his oeuvre. Next up, A Muppet Treasure Island. And yeah, he's great as Pennywise, he's great as everything really.

mothman

FYI, a friend of mine at university who was a huge Rocky Horror & Tim Curry fan would often rave about him in Times Square.  No idea if justified, never seen it myself.

Custard

Caught a bit of Tim Curry in Congo the other night. He was meant to be a Russian scientist or something, and his accent had me hooting. I imagine if Adam and Joe were still on the radio, it'd have got a mention (unless they already covered it?). Something about it just seemed so half-arsed and phoned-in, that I couldn't stop giggling

Tim Curry - Scientist From Somewhere Not Round Here

He was great as Pennywise, though. Right up there with Ledger's Joker

mothman

I love Ernie Hudson's accent in Congo. One of the all-time strange accents in film. Along with Pete Postlethwaite in Jurassic Park: The Lost World. And in The Usual Suspects.

Steven

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 06, 2015, 05:44:44 PM
Tim Curry - Scientist From Somewhere Not Round Here

You obviously missed his turn as indiscriminate Slavic scientist in Command & Conquer 3 then.

"SZPAAAICCCEE!"

Rev

It's off:  The director's jumped over multiple issues, most of which come down to the budget, and as it was due to start filming next month the whole shebang's been shelved.

http://www.thewrap.com/cary-fukunaga-out-as-director-of-stephen-kings-it-at-new-line-exclusive/

They'll no doubt have another crack at some point, but as the scripts were supposedly very much Fukunaga's take on the thing and tied his angle as the director, we're probably talking a new writer and a start from scratch a few years down the line.

BritishHobo

Fuck! I was really looking forward to Poulter as Pennywise. That sounded so weird and so fascinating.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Rev on May 25, 2015, 10:10:29 PM
It's off:  The director's jumped over multiple issues, most of which come down to the budget, and as it was due to start filming next month the whole shebang's been shelved.

http://www.thewrap.com/cary-fukunaga-out-as-director-of-stephen-kings-it-at-new-line-exclusive/

They'll no doubt have another crack at some point, but as the scripts were supposedly very much Fukunaga's take on the thing and tied his angle as the director, we're probably talking a new writer and a start from scratch a few years down the line.

I knew this would happen.

IT is a fucking brilliant book, even though the last 100 pages are garbage. The 9 million or so before that are just remarkable.

I had no doubt that this would fall though. I was hoping it wouldn't, but there you go.

I worry a lot.

Cerys

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 25, 2015, 10:18:46 PM
Fuck! I was really looking forward to Poulter as Pennywise. That sounded so weird and so fascinating.

On the upside, maybe we'll get Omid Djalili after all!

Glebe

*anovvah bump*

Part 1 of Stephen King's It movie lands September 2017 release date.

Still haven't read the book, but I enjoyed the mini-series, Billy Boy!