Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen King's IT/IT Remake

Started by Goldentony, August 28, 2012, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Poulter still attached to this, apparently.

MuteBanana

He's going to be great isn't he? He could have also played the Joker character in Gotham but that was performed wonderfully by Cameron Monaghan.

Goldentony

Still quite excited about this despite Fukunaga being shitcanned a few days before the original filming date.

Obviously still concerned it might be a fucking nightmare, like. It's gone from being handled by a well respected and rising director/writer with a highly acclaimed, mostly terrifying and well done television series behind him (despite going to shit slightly at the end ala the IT TV show) to a guy with the one full length film to his name. I'll have to check out Mama before banging on about it further, but I guess it's a good sign if Poulters still on it. That interview he did around the time of the revenant made it seem like he was fully behind Fukunaga's version of the film, and hopefully it means the rewrite isn't either that much of a departure, or it just plain old isn't a terrible script.

Mainly just worried it'll be full of fucking jump scares and shit, but I dunno, it sort of seems impossible to make a film about a prehistoric space entity parading as an evil fucking clown that was birthed by the same turtle that vomited existence accidentally into a generic fright film, but fuck knows. Just don't let it be like the fucking Poltergeist remake.

Poulter would be great

Goldentony

so Will Poulter out, Bill Skasgard in -

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-kings-adaptation-finds-pennywise-898993?facebook_20160602

Never seen this guy in anything, or Hemlock Grove. Any fans? They've cast the kids minus Beverly aswell. Glad to see it's picking up a bit of steam.

Watched Mama after the above post and really, really enjoyed. Minor issues with the hokey CGI but absolutely loved it otherwise. Minimal amount of shite jump scares, beautiful sets and sounds. World apart from the hundred and one found footage/other shite horrors i'd watched previous. Very excited now.

Noodle Lizard

Not sure why everyone was so excited about Will Poulter.  It seems like the kind of casting decision I'd make as a joke: "Let's have the All Saints rapping kid as Pennywise!"  Not saying he's a terrible actor or anything (though I've never seen him be particularly good either), it's just a really weird choice isn't it?

I absolutely hated Mama, sadly.  It had like two good moments early on (in spite of the dreadful punk-rock Jessica Chastain character and poor scripting) and then descended into total nonsense, with a giant CGI monster doing battle on a cliff-face or whatever it was.  And yet people still go on about it "relying on atmosphere rather than jump scares" or "perfect example of what you don't see being scarier than what you do!"  Same people who complain about The Blair Witch Project being "boring and stupid", ironically.

Paaaaul

Hemlock Grove is some of the worst TV ever made. Bill Skarsgard isn't good in it, but he's less awful than most of the others.

Noodle Lizard

Just how many fucking Skarsgards do we need?  Can't move for fucking Skarsgards.  The old one was alright, but this new lot are shite.

Goldentony

DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS FILM NOW CHEERS LADS

Glebe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 08, 2016, 06:04:19 PMJust how many fucking Skarsgards do we need?  Can't move for fucking Skarsgards.  The old one was alright, but this new lot are shite.

They're manufactured at the Skarsgard Plant in Stockholm. I've had mine for years and I've had no problems with it.

Goldentony

Nah soz, real post here, re: Poulter - yeah weird casting choice and wasn't entirely sure how it'd work out TBH but given his turn in mostly daft shite things it would have been interesting at least to see how it'd turn out. This Skasgard guy - I have no pissing idea and I can't be arsed going through a whole horror TV series to find out, especially one with Eli Roth that directly involved.

re: Mama - can easily see how that FINAL BOSS BATTLE would be offputting, but I def. enjoyed it. I dunno, the whole thing just does look and sound fantastic. Wasn't terrifying or anything but a lot better looking, directed, acted and everrything else compared to what i've been catching up on. I just checked and it turn out i'd watched Dragged Me To Hell, Inside and Twentynine Palms before it on the same day which I thought were all intensely shite so maybe my judgement was clouded.

BritishHobo

My excitement for Poulter is more down to personal reasons than anything - he's the only actor I've genuinely, actively followed from the start of his career. Way back when (all of nine years), in the original pilot for School of Comedy, and in Son of Rambow, I fell in love with him a little bit, and I've really wanted him to do well since. Both series of SoC were cack, but he was a fantastic performer throughout, and so stuff like Narnia and Wild Bill made me hope he would finally take off. Then Plastic and We're The Millers didn't do so great, and I was worried they and The Maze Runner might mean he'd fade; so his role in The Revenant and the announcement of this were really exciting for me.

Plus I did think it was an interesting casting. I assumed True Detective fella knew what he was doing, and Poulter's hardly big enough yet to be a publicity stunt-cast. I'd have loved to have seen what he would've done with it.

BritishHobo

In fact, Poulter is the hill he chose to die on; the studio's distaste for the choice is a major reason for him leaving the project. So he must have felt really strongly about Poulter's performance of the role.

Glebe

It movie exclusive: Pennywise the Clown seen in terrifying first look.

Not a particularly original or surprising look, but his eyes are pretty sinister and unsettling, granted.

Goldentony

About what you'd expect from the very first still. Guessing he'll go apeshit in the film and more in line with the concept sketch the director put up ages ago, but aye decent first look. The nose is a bit odd though, a bit too human. Ultimately not mind blowing but not disappointing either really. Hopefully at no point it turns out like some community college goth mess that looks like it belongs on the cover of a 90s industrial disco single

Been following the Instagram updates on all this through the first week of filming and the details like the missing poster of Betty Ripsom and the Paul Bunyan statue are making me very happy, as a fan of the book. Fingers crossed it isn't a total mess like.

Sam

'The best book that features children fucking in a sewer.' (New York Review of Books)

Noodle Lizard

Goldentony

stop toileting the thread up you pair of goblins I just want to see the shit clown film alone and in peace

Noodle Lizard

wonder if he'll say something I can
Put on
9 gag

Glebe

DukeDeMondo

This is all gonna look and sound like It Follows, isn't it? That's clearly gon be the tone. I like It Follows so fair enough.

BRen

The new Pennywise looks a bit naff, like with the original Pennywise's 'look' it wasn't trying too hard to look like the stereotypical 'evil clown' which is why it works so well. Now they've gone out of their way to make it look that way it's just a bit shit.

Glebe

Custard

The original (which I still love. Well, not the spider bit, obvs), is also coming out on Blu-Rizzle early October.

Maybe now you won't have to flip the disc to watch the bleedin' second half

True story, a good mate of mine didn't know for years that you had to turn the DVD. He thought it ended with matey slitting his wrists in the bath. Which for some reason I found hilarious. What a brave, insanely dark ending

This is going to be shit reckons I.

It just reminds me so much of 'that' remake of NOES.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 30, 2016, 11:09:45 AM
The original (which I still love. Well, not the spider bit, obvs), is also coming out on Blu-Rizzle early October.

Maybe now you won't have to flip the disc to watch the bleedin' second half

True story, a good mate of mine didn't know for years that you had to turn the DVD. He thought it ended with matey slitting his wrists in the bath. Which for some reason I found hilarious. What a brave, insanely dark ending

No, same exact thing happened to me and my friend when we first watched it (2008 or 9, quite late I suppose).  I guess we didn't know it was actually 3 hours or so, and I hadn't had a "flip-over" disc since the early 2000s.  It didn't tell you to flip it either like those ones did, just went back to the menu, no credits.  We were a bit aghast at that, "What a shit ending".  Then when I went on the IMDb hoping to read other people go on about how shit the ending was, I instead started hearing about stuff I'd never seen.  Took me a good bit of thinking before I figured it out, though.  We watched the rest the next day and thought the actual ending was just as shit, so big fuss over nothing.

Anyway, yeah, agreed with BRen about the new Pennywise, but I didn't expect any better.  Literally some of the most tasteless, unimaginative cunts ever to exist are dominating mainstream horror at the moment.

BritishHobo

Still can't believe I've had a Cary Fukunaga-helmed IT with Will Poulter as Pennywise snatched away from me. Just waft ten thousand dollars under my nose and then punch me in the face why don't you.

Noodle Lizard

BritishHobo

I do hope his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame hasn't faded too much with age.