Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen King's IT/IT Remake

Started by Goldentony, August 28, 2012, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

So proud of him.  Boy from Hammersmith done good.

Custard

Just watched the original mini-series there, and although parts of it haven't aged that well, it's still good stuff. That last scene though, with spider-bollocks.... still honking. On the Blu-Ray the two parts of the series are welded together, so it plays like a 3 hour film, which is nice. No disc flipping ;-D. Quality wise, it's not much of a step-up from the DVD, mind. No new extras either

It's got me quite excited for this remake next year though, and looking at the pics of the look for Pennywise makes it look promising. Expected to be R-Rated too, which will be interesting

I've had the book a while, and still not read it, so might get on that this week

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 15, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
I've had the book a while, and still not read it, so might get on that this week

Do this ASAP, the mini-series is nothing compared to the book and captures none of the atmosphere or sense of dread from King's writing, plus it emits several of the creepiest scenes and lacks all of the rich characterisation and truly era-spanning feel of the original story.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on October 16, 2016, 01:53:24 AM
Do this ASAP, the mini-series is nothing compared to the book and captures none of the atmosphere or sense of dread from King's writing, plus it emits several of the creepiest scenes and lacks all of the rich characterisation and truly era-spanning feel of the original story.

Not to mention the bit where all the kids fuck their girl mate in the sewer.

Spoiler alert
obligatory
[close]

Catalogue Trousers

On the other hand, the telly version does cut out hundreds of pages of self-indulgent primary schoolgirl- fucking crap.

Glebe

Is the Second Half of the New 'It' Filming This Month?

QuoteA promise made twenty-eight years ago calls seven adults to reunite in Derry, Massachusetts, where as teenagers they battled an evil creature that preyed on the city's children. Unsure that their Losers Club had vanquished the creature all those years ago, the seven had vowed to return to Derry if IT should ever reappear.

Glebe

The 'It' Remake Gets Stephen King's Stamp of Approval [Updated].

Never read it (pun intended), but I was musing over picking it up in a bookshop the other day. It's certainly a whopper.

DukeDeMondo

The first trailer is online now.

https://youtu.be/KkyXfpebihk

The trailer is a load of nothing, as ever, with some crap jump scares in, but I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Twit 2

Bhazor

Oh look. Its Horror Movie: The Movie

Goldentony

doesn't give much away but i'm glad this is finally coming out and i'm excited to see it

SteveDave

The slideshow bit is just a worse Sinister though isn't it? Also I thought the clown was meant to look like a clown to entice kids and then KAPOW! Big teeth monster man.

MoonDust

I'm in two minds. I don't often like horror movies, and this It remake looks like pure horror.

What I liked about the original adaptation was there were funny bits in it. Whether that was the intention or not, Tim Curry as Pennywise had some great comic moments as well as sinister moments.

I hope the Pennywise in the remake is funny at times too.

Utter Shit

From that trailer it looks like they're remaining pretty faithful to the original, so I'm quietly confident this will be great.

MoonDust

Then again I haven't read the book, so for all I know the original adaptation might have been less faithful to the book with its funny moments, and this remake will be more faithful if it's pure horror.

I don't know. Is Pennywise pretty funny sometimes in the book, too?

Goldentony

It's been years since I read it but it alternates between all out universe encompassing horror and absurd lunatic who offers people blowjobs while inhabiting the form of a leper

Kelvin

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: MoonDust on March 30, 2017, 10:37:23 AM
Then again I haven't read the book, so for all I know the original adaptation might have been less faithful to the book with its funny moments, and this remake will be more faithful if it's pure horror.

I don't know. Is Pennywise pretty funny sometimes in the book, too?

The book is serious in tone and has much nastier & more disturbing stuff in it than the first adaptation, which even as a kid I thought just felt like an edgier episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark.  I don't remember Pennywise doing or saying anything funny in the book, in his clown form he was mostly either scaring the shit out of someone or feigning being calm & pleasant as a lead-in to that.

This new version isn't doing anything for me yet though.  The trouble with adapting King's horror stories is that he's always been great at writing about / describing the fear that a character feels and that's usually way more effective than the imagery of what's scaring them.  That's why the mini-series of The Shining isn't unnerving in the slightest despite ticking off a long checklist of every single Scary Thing that appears in the book.

gatchamandave

...as long as they haven't filmed
Spoiler alert
the gangbang
[close]

Glebe

I'm actually really impressed with that trailer. It looks genuinely unsettling.

Steven

Quote from: Glebe on March 31, 2017, 01:21:54 AM
I'm actually really impressed with that trailer. It looks genuinely unsettling.

I think the point was Pennywise was meant to look fun to kids until he went all carnivorous, the Tim Curry version looked like a normal clown until the teeth came out. The new one looks like a shit-horror clown, not even particularly scary either way.

Hiya Georgie!

Replies From View

Hopefully the clowne will turn into a useless lumbering giant spider at the end, as per the source material.

MoonDust

Quote from: Steven on March 31, 2017, 01:53:54 AM
I think the point was Pennywise was meant to look fun to kids until he went all carnivorous, the Tim Curry version looked like a normal clown until the teeth came out. The new one looks like a shit-horror clown, not even particularly scary either way.

Hiya Georgie!

Maybe (hopefully) the trailer is only showing the scary Pennywise, but the film still has normal looking clown Pennywise.

colacentral

Quote from: Replies From View on March 31, 2017, 01:18:04 PM
Hopefully the clowne will turn into a useless lumbering giant spider at the end, as per the source material.

It's been years since I read it but I don't think this is really true. The spider was one of these god-like things that live in King's shared Dark Tower universe, along with the turtle, but I think it's true-true form is described as being too scary for anyone to survive seeing, hence the "deadlights" stuff. Since the monster of the book takes on the form of each person's personal fear, I think the spider was meant as a catch-all "lots of people are scared of spiders" thing, while the ambiguity of the deadlights was meant for the reader to project their fear on to its actual true form. I might be mangling that a bit, but basically I think the original TV version took the spider stuff far too literally. It wasn't a spider that could turn into a clown, it was a God thing that appeared as a spider.

colacentral

Just watched the trailer. It looks shite. Trying too hard, catering to teenagers who wear Nightmare Before Christmas back packs. Pennywise is literally described in the book as looking like Ronald McDonald - in other words, like a normal clown, which is scary in itself as Tim Curry's Pennywise showed. Looking like a member of Slipknot lessens the effect considerably.

Shade

I thought the bit with the projector was pretty good. Otherwise all I got was gritty remake vibe from it. I hope it retains some of that dark underbelly to 1950's wholesomeness the book had. But I suppose if it's set in a new era I guess not. Bummer, thought that was quite a nice setting for the story.

Quote from: colacentral on April 02, 2017, 01:02:05 AM
Looking like a member of Slipknot lessens the effect considerably.

Oh man, just wait till we get the reveal of the spider-god whose weakness is friendship and lumps of silver.

Goldentony

Marketing a trailer to excitable young twats who have loads of disposable income makes a bit of sense, and given the trailers broke the record for the amount of views in 24 hours I guess it's worked.