Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

iPhone 5

Started by Artemis, September 04, 2012, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on September 07, 2012, 11:23:53 AM
Well, no, it's a mobile phone operating system. Why would it have decent music creation apps written for it?

Because people totally need to be able to mix music using their mp3 decks on their phone. It's well weapon.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on September 07, 2012, 11:23:53 AM
Well, no, it's a mobile phone operating system. Why would it have decent music creation apps written for it?

As well as phones, there are tablets, so let's compromise and call it a mobile operating system!

There are some types of apps I have no interest in but know others are - I also know that if one mobile OS offers those apps where there's a demand, and the another doesn't, the latter is at a competitive disadvantage. This feeds into my post which you took two words from – if I'm using mobile devices to produce something and I feel being able to do so is a big advantage to me, why would I switch to a rival platform where I wouldn't be able to do the same thing? The fact that a rival OS to Android has decent music creation apps goes some way to answer your queston, I feel.

As I mentioned above, things are improving in the music  production area with Android and I would suggest that this is because that Google believes there's a point to it. At the moment, Android really is trying to catch up with iOS – if you do a quick Google search, you'll see the kind of apps out there.

Also, as I've wrote earlier - sorry to repeat myself - there's a lot of online discussion out there – and it's quite interesting how people are engaging with this kind of technology. For one thing, it's making it very accessible – e.g. it's very affordable!

I would have a look at the kind of discussion that goes on because I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how people are using this kind of technology - plus, I'm sure you'll find others who offer opposing points of view.

In my own case, I prefer using a tablet generally but if I'm on the move and I have an idea for something, being able to get it down on the phone is great – rather like if I'm writing something. I may not want to write the entire short story on my phone, but if I have an idea or a small amount of lines and I'm not near to the computer, it's great; although I still use the old-fashioned notebook and pen, there are times like I'm on a train or I've had one too many, when my handwriting won't be easy to decipher.

As I've mentioned in another thread, one reason I like using this kind of stuff is that I end up with work that's different because I didn't use my desktop – also, sometimes I'll combine the two.

Replies From View

Some fingerprint reading gibbons might be in the new iPhone.

http://gu.com/p/3aafb

Wake me up when they have go go gadget helicopter blades and stuff.

Santa's Boyfriend

Why bother when you can go down the zoo and get real fingerprint-reading gibbons?  Global warming etc what a joke

Replies From View

I don't believe in keeping gibbons in cages and motivating them with the lie that working as fingerprint readers will earn them sweet, sweet freedom.

So no, sir; I disagree with your olden days methods and will fight against them for as long as these potatoes here sustain me.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Those expensive Bose ipod docks are going to look great with some fugly adapter sticking out of the top of them

Subtle Mocking

Christ, they're not even trying any more. It's slightly longer, and now has an extra row of apps! Well worth keeping your credit rating in check for...

mobias

Yeah pretty disappointed by this. The new iPod nano looks quite interesting if you want an even smaller iPod touch. So far its all very dull and predictable. Apple seem rubbish at keeping anything secret these days. I wonder how long it'll be before they announce anything with serious Wow! factor again. I guess they might if or when they enter the TV and photography markets. 

buntyman

It looks nice and all but nothing that I desperately want from it. I think I like the sound of that Nokia one more.

biggytitbo

I see the pricks at Apple have come up with another new propriety connector forcing everyone to buy yet another stupid dongle or get whole new peripherals.

What utter cunts!

Also, a 4 inch screen looks a bit paltry these days. Samsungs hardware is so much better, as is android 4.1. (still on with bevels and brushed metal apple? Fuck off, its not 1999)

No wonder they'd rather ban samsungs products because they don't seem to want to compete it seems.

Subtle Mocking

And even Nokia have upped their game this month, and so the iPhone 5 and just about done enough to become the 3rd best phone on the market this Christmas.

VegaLA

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on September 12, 2012, 07:19:11 PM
Christ, they're not even trying any more. It's slightly longer, and now has an extra row of apps! Well worth keeping your credit rating in check for...

Well no, they spent more time with Samsung phones then their own phone this past year.

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 12, 2012, 08:23:13 PM

No wonder they'd rather ban samsungs products because they don't seem to want to compete it seems.

Word is they are now spending time with the Samsung Galaxy SIII in order to find reasons to have it taken off the shelves. Those other models they managed to ban were old hat.

mobias

Looks like Apple are dropping the ball this year. Dull new phone, mini iPad is going to be equally yawn inducing and the upcoming long overdue revisions to the iMac and MacPro range sound less than exciting. Criticisms of Apple's obsession with Samsung are well placed. None of that is healthy at all.

Also sounds like there's internal squabbling within Apple's top ranks as well over various issues including the direction of the iPhone 5's UI design.

Tokyo Sexwhale

I see the pricks at Apple have come up with another new propriety connector forcing everyone to buy yet another stupid dongle or get whole new peripherals.

Has Apple explained the rationale/advantages (to the user) of this?  Does it charge quicker/better, or allow quicker data updates (which ought not to be that relevant with cloud updates).

Or do they just want to make everyone buy new fucking docks?

wasp_f15ting

hahaha - no wonder they have so many law suites. They are being smoked by the competition.
I can't believe Ives.. how can you lie like that you smelly sir cunt - we completely redesigned the iphone 5.

I was worried about my s3 being redundant.. thus far nothing has posed a real leap. I am hoping the next nexus phone is a real game changer!

mobias

The new smaller connector means they can cram a much bigger screen into an only slightly larger size phone apparently.

To be fair on Ive the phone actually has had a much bigger design overhaul that whats apparent on first glance. Not that I want to defend it particularly, its still a totally lacklustre phone I think.

chocky909

Steve Jobs must be spinning in his iGrave.

Replies From View

He designed the iGrave to spin.  That's the main thing about it.

Artemis

It's a disgrace that Apple are charging more for this but not including a free adaptor for old-style connections, but the phone itself is looking pretty good to me. Typical responses from people pre-disposed to either love or hate this, but to my mind it's looking nice.

Artemis

Also, a 4 inch screen looks a bit paltry these days.

Nah. Bigger than that and it's clunky and impractical in my pocket.

QuoteSamsungs hardware is so much better, as is android 4.1. (still on with bevels and brushed metal apple? flip off, its not 1999)

How have you decided that?! I'd say that's evidently untrue.

QuoteNo wonder they'd rather ban samsungs products because they don't seem to want to compete it seems.

Oh, 100% agreed here. They really are cunts when it comes to trying to shutdown their competitors.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Artemis on September 13, 2012, 10:13:33 AM
Nah. Bigger than that and it's clunky and impractical in my pocket.

Phones that are .3 inches bigger are clunky and impractical?

Replies From View

I've just read about the iPhone speech, so know what you're talking about now.  I suppose it won't be long before the iPad becomes widescreen too and blah de wow.

Still Not George

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on September 13, 2012, 10:30:54 AM
Phones that are .3 inches bigger are clunky and impractical?

They are if you have Stockholm Syndrome, yeah.

dmillburn

I wish Android would get it's shit together and offer viable alternatives to the apps I love, but until then looks like I'll probably keep my 2 year old battered iphone 4. Apart from the usual calls, internet type stuff, which I can obviously do on any phone, like Ignatius_S most of my time on the phone is spend dicking about with music creation stuff, where ios is just light years ahead.  I can't see anything to warrant me spending the cash on an iphone 5 but equally I can't see myself jumping ship to another phone until there's decent equivalents to the stuff I use daily, especially now that Apple have approved Audiobus.

MojoJojo

I suspect a lot of people feel the same with Android now as well  there hasn't been a good reason to upgrade a phone for a good while now.

We might be entering a period of increasing commoditisation with nothing but faster processors coming out each year. Which will probably slowly kill Apple.

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 13, 2012, 02:04:57 PM
Which will probably slowly kill Apple.

Why would that kill Apple?

With the different ratio screen for the iPhone 5, I suspect iOS 6 will be especially annoying on older models.  I can imagine the new maps thing seeming cramped on the iPhone 4S screen, for example.  So while I've been interested in seeing the operating system update since I first heard about it, I'm definitely going to hold back until the reviews come in.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Replies From View on September 13, 2012, 02:13:08 PM
Why would that kill Apple?

Because it would mean the main differentiator would end up being price. Basically what happened to Apple in the late 80s early 90s. If Apple can't offer anything truly different, they can't charge the premium they want too.

Replies From View

I thought that the Samsung Galaxy 3 etc. were about the same price anyway, though.

MojoJojo

Yes, but they all sell cheaper phones too. I'm suggesting the premium market is going to shrink, as the difference between a premium phone and mid-range phone becomes just a question of processor speed/prettiness.

Replies From View

I thought those were the main differences already.  Processor speed, prettiness and whatever additions those higher processing speeds allow.