Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

iPhone 5

Started by Artemis, September 04, 2012, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on September 20, 2012, 05:32:00 PM
I would have expected better testing from Apple themselves, though, especially with what is easily one of the most important apps on the device.

And especially since it's the one that, y'know, makes them money.

mobias

Although I'm a self confessed Apple fan myself (up to a point anyway) I must admit I'm having a pretty good laugh at all this. They need to have a few huge cock ups I think, especially since they've become a bunch of smug fuckers in recent years. The whole business with Samsung is really not doing them any favours, they need brought down a peg or two. Hope all this makes them improve their game. 

Replies From View

Here's a handful of pictures showing the difference between the normal iOS 6 satellite view and the 3D buildings gimmick, by looking at one of the transition lines.  Using my iPad for this, but it's no different from the iPhone details.

The transition line here is obviously the south side of Oxford Street.  While the 3D model is sharper from above than the satellite view, I'd say the details of the 3D version make it hard to get a good sense of the streets overall.  The different levels of the roofs and the roads all kind of jumble together.

Zooming in a bit, and tilting by degrees:

And a bit of macho cock-swivelling for the ladies (feel free to cut and paste this load for yourselves, lads):

That's it, really.  Not sure what else you're meant to do with it.  And for the sake of that we've lost actually being able to navigate from A to B sufficiently using public transport.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on September 20, 2012, 08:38:55 PMThat's it, really.  Not sure what else you're meant to do with it.  And for the sake of that we've lost actually being able to navigate from A to B sufficiently using public transport.

Not to mention the ability to see those buildings and roads from the angle you'll see them from in real life (i.e., Streetview), which will therefore be useful for finding your way around them rather than just for pretending you're flying over them.

Jamie Oliver is fat

olliebean

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on September 21, 2012, 07:12:33 AM
it just works!

Given the number of things from Apple that haven't "just worked" (mostly involving iTunes and/or iCloud), I don't know how they've managed to hang on to that reputation.

SetToStun

Fortunately for technology companies, marketing slogans aren't given under oath.

Milo

Perhaps it's in the context of 'it only just works!'.

BlodwynPig

So in brief, best not update to ios6 on my old iPhone - that map shit is awful

Replies From View

It depends on your taste, really.  If you're into shit things then go for it.

VegaLA

Gizmodo have been collecting some Map screenshots.

http://gizmodo.com/5944944/where-to-keep-track-of-all-the-worst-apple-maps-fails

The Film Inception is mentioned.

Subtle Mocking

Has anybody got one of these? I'm upgrading this month, and rather shamefully, the iPhone is catching my eye. I think I'm still largely sold on the GS3, but I was just looking to see if anyone here had one and what they thought about it?

Artemis

Why be ashamed about it? It's one of the best phones you can buy. I'm also about to buy a new one and it's a toss up between this and the Galaxy S3. Both look amazing.

Subtle Mocking

The only thing possibly holding me back is that all my music and other junk is on a 64gb microSD, which I can always get rid of if I go for the 64gb version. But yeah, after 24 months with Android, I'm growing weary of all the bells and whistles and fragmentation and massively varying software. The new black iPhone in particular is absolutely stunning, I'm glad they've finally done away with the flimsy glass.

thebadabing

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on September 23, 2012, 12:45:58 PM
The only thing possibly holding me back is that all my music and other junk is on a 64gb microSD, which I can always get rid of if I go for the 64gb version. But yeah, after 24 months with Android, I'm growing weary of all the bells and whistles and fragmentation and massively varying software. The new black iPhone in particular is absolutely stunning, I'm glad they've finally done away with the flimsy glass.

You probably heard by now that the new aluminum casing scratches easily, especially the black version. And in my opinion, the 64 gb version isn't worth it. I mean you can get the S3 plus the iPod touch with 32 gb for not much more.

Replies From View

Just don't drop your phone.

mcbpete

If you get one of those Barely There cases then you'll be nicely protected though - I kept forgetting to take my HTC Desire out my trouser pockets when hanging them up at night and it would frequently fall to the solid wooden floor (usually landing on the weak corners), even after 2 years thanks to that protective case I didn't have a single scratch or dent or crack on it.

EDIT: Oh, according to the reviews the S3 Barely There cases are shite - ignore me

Replies From View

I thought the entire point of a brand new expensive phone was to show it off to strangers though; ones who are definitely going, "Gasp!  That has tinted metal edges so must be the iPhone 5, not the sickeningly ancient 4S!"

How will this objective be reached when you're smothering those tinted metal edges in Shake 'n' Vac or Gay Pride bounce-back absorption pads?  It's madness.

Think about it and you may realise you don't actually need to drop your phone at all.  So once again we have an accessory that's filling a completely non-existent hole.

VegaLA

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2012, 09:15:52 AM
Just don't drop your phone.

I think it was Engadget that reported a lot of these scratches are present when they unbox their new phone. Sounds like they are getting ruined as they are packaged. Probably the disgruntled Foxconn workers means of revenge!

Replies From View

I've just realised why people make unboxing videos.  I still don't understand why they upload them to YouTube, though.