Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"...with Michael Fassbender as Frank Sidebottom"

Started by dr_christian_troy, September 06, 2012, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_christian_troy

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000911/michael_fassbender_in_frank_sidebottom_film/

I guess it's not completely unusual casting. I was thoroughly impressed by him in A Dangerous Method, and in any event to have a film featuring a portrayal of Frank can only be a good thing, I assume. Jon Ronson has clarified that the film is to be a fictional account, and that Frank is one of a number of characters featured, but all in all it sounds rather interesting indeed.

Mini

He's a great actor, and Jon Ronson & Peter Straughan are great writers, so this should be good.

KLG-7A

I thought Michael Fassbender was an American action film star or something, so I assumed this title was a joke.

I've learned something about Michael Fassbender and how out of touch with pop culture I am, I suppose.

PaulTMA

I liked the bit when Jon Ronson said the film isn't about Frank Sidebottom.

non capisco

Fassbender is a phenomenal actor but can he do a Timperley accent? Magneto turned Irish about halfway through 'X-Men: First Class'.

Glebe

Jemble Fred

At first I was dismayed at how wrong they got Frank's head – but then I realised it suits the film perfectly, in the same way that no actor playing the central part in a biopic can exactly resemble the subject, that papier-maché head is an actor head portraying the sadly missed real Frank. This is definitely a film to anticipate with fervour.

olliebean

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 11, 2013, 11:13:13 AM
At first I was dismayed at how wrong they got Frank's head – but then I realised it suits the film perfectly, in the same way that no actor playing the central part in a biopic can exactly resemble the subject, that papier-maché head is an actor head portraying the sadly missed real Frank.

Fair enough, but even allowing for that I still think they've got it wrong. That head is like a blank version of Frank; it is to Frank what this:

is to the rest of us. I've no doubt Michael Fassbender has the chops to bring it to life, but it would have been nice to see a bit of personality on the face, as Frank's had loads. All else being equal, I don't think he'd have been nearly such a loved character with that head.

checkoutgirl

Michael Fessbender as Frank Sidebottom, what next ? Robert DeNiro as Ted Chippington ? Harrison Ford as Charlie Chuck ? Christopher Plummer as Mike Reid ? Leonardo Dicaprio as Jimmy Tarbuck ? What's going on ?

Crabwalk

It's the lack of glint in the miscast mask's eyes isn't it? Sends him into the uncanny valley when compared to Frank's real face. Is Robert Zemeckis directing?

madhair60

I wonder if he looks so markedly different in order to distinguish him from included archive footage of the real Frank.

Jemble Fred

As it's clearly an offbeat film, who knows what they're up to? Perhaps they're animating the mask so it can take on all manner of expressions. That could be interesting.

madhair60

I still need to watch the rest of the Fantastic Shed Show.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 11, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
It's the lack of glint in the miscast mask's eyes isn't it? Sends him into the uncanny valley when compared to Frank's real face. Is Robert Zemeckis directing?

That, and the eyes aren't round. I can accept the lips being a bit off, but man.

Some friends suggested it could be a copyright thing, but Sievey lived and died with fuck all to his name.

Blumf

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 11, 2013, 01:39:30 PM
Michael Fessbender as Frank Sidebottom, what next ? Robert DeNiro as Ted Chippington ? Harrison Ford as Charlie Chuck ? Christopher Plummer as Mike Reid ? Leonardo Dicaprio as Jimmy Tarbuck ? What's going on ?

Joe Pesci as Count Arthur Strong.
Denzel Washington as John Shuttleworth

Icehaven

I was really surprised when I saw the casting, but fair doos. Also really like the idea of the mask being wrong because it's supposed to be someone playing him, even if that isn't the actual reason, it made me laugh.

Maybe in the film it's just an early version?

Am I the only one who originally read the title as "...with Michael Fassbender as Frank Spencer"?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blumf on January 11, 2013, 04:12:05 PM
Joe Pesci as Count Arthur Strong.
Denzel Washington as John Shuttleworth

Sean Penn as Bernie Clifton.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Chuckle Brothers.

KLG-7B

Maybe it's like clowns not being allowed to use the same makeup style as other clowns.

Glebe

Al Pacino as Little Frank... William H. Macy as John Shuttleworth.

Tiny Poster

These hilarious suggestions began and ended with the Woody Bop Muddy tag.

copyingdogs

It says on the BBC that the film is also inspired by Captain Beefheart and Daniel Johnston. I wonder what kind of a role they may play in all of this. I'm really excited about this actually, it looks like it could turn out to be a genuinely brilliant thing.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: copyingdogs on January 12, 2013, 04:18:53 PM
It says on the BBC that the film is also inspired by Captain Beefheart and Daniel Johnston. I wonder what kind of a role they may play in all of this.

Surely not any specific role – all it means is that it's about outsider musicians. It's a way of underlining that it's not an actual Sidebottom biopic, but a stew of different oddities from the world of fringe music.

copyingdogs

Quote from: Jemble Fred on January 12, 2013, 04:38:50 PM
Surely not any specific role – all it means is that it's about outsider musicians. It's a way of underlining that it's not an actual Sidebottom biopic, but a stew of different oddities from the world of fringe music.
Yeah, you're probably right. It should make for an interesting film anyway.

Glebe

Captain Crunch

Does anyone know how they got on with that statue project?  Is it still being unvieled on the 1st April?

Funky Mango

I thought Michael Fassbender was a Formula 1 driver.

Oops.

dfurnell

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 21, 2013, 10:50:02 PM
Does anyone know how they got on with that statue project?  Is it still being unvieled on the 1st April?

Well who would have thought planning applications to Trafford Borough Council would ever be fit to be linked on a comedy board. But they are. However the Frank Sidebottom Statue Planning Application has been successful. I heard though that there could be some delay to them hitting the 1st April launch date. Really it being on time and turning out exactly as it was all planned wouldn't be very Sidebottomesque would it?