Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Mesa - Half life remake

Started by Hangthebuggers, September 14, 2012, 05:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangthebuggers

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

3.8gb download

Basically half life using the HL2 engine and some additional content to boot for FREE!

I'm downloading now. Can't wait.

I suggest the torrent over the bulk download.

Morrison Lard

Shit hot. Nice one.

That's my weekend sorted/ruined.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Toast

I'm really looking forward to trying this, I was thinking of replaying HL anyway. I've been following it but I can't tell if it's a straight remake or a reimagining.

Dark Sky

I believe it's a bit of both!  I.e., a remake with some tweaks.

They didn't complete it, either, so it's not the full game.

Thursday

Isn't it only missing the Xen bits, which people don't seem to like anyway. Not sure how it'll end if all that's been cut. Straight through the portal to G-Man perhaps?

Hangthebuggers

I believe that's coming at a later date.... So this is the first half so to speak.

Zetetic

And the intention seems to be to try to substantially improve on the original in those bits.

It's almost shameful just how nostalgic this makes me feel.

My only complaint so far is that they haven't made the platforming any less rubbish.

samadriel

They've made the platforming worse, to my mind -- for some reason your jump in this is a lot stubbier, you have to crouch in the air to cover any kind of distance, which is weird and counter-intuitive.  I don't like what they've done with rebalancing either; everything (except headcrabs, natch) is a real bullet-sponge, so until you get the shotgun, you're reliant on the Magnum to kill anything expediently (and you have to kill 'em fast, 'cos they tear strips off of you in an instant).  I've taken to godmode already; I'm just grinding through and sight-seeing around the new level design (and admiring some of the fx; the way the gore and bullsquid spit splatters all over the ground and on your hands and gun looks really good).

Entirely agree about the crouch-jumping. I think it's giving me the carpal tunnel syndrome.

I don't agree about the guns though. I'm about halfway through and still tend to rely on the pistol. The only thing slowing down my progress is that for some reason I've always been very fastidious about the health levels in this game. If I have 100% on both meters and than a baddie takes a few points off, I have to quickload just to maintain those nice round numbers. I don't know why. No other game makes me want to do that.