Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beautiful Gadgets

Started by wasp_f15ting, September 17, 2012, 01:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasp_f15ting

Gadgets Primarily serve their functions to be utilities for services like gaming, music or films.. but every so often a gadget breaks free of the constrains of its need and becomes and object of Joy. I would like to share with you some of my most loved gadgets, old and new I will try and chart my obsession with consumer electronics spanning nearly 3 decades.

Nintendo Gameboy

My first ever experience of loving an electronic object came in the form of my original Nintendo Gameboy. I remember it took ages for my dad to allow me to buy it, but when I did buy it I got it with Super Mario Brothers and Zelda. These two games were all I had for months maybe even a year after it's purchase. I loved carrying it around on any trip we ever had on the road. We used to have long trips to London to visit family, and this was the perfect accompaniment for those long journeys. The design was perfect for what it needed to do, and that gorgeous "cling" sound was just sensational. It still brings back all the amazing experiences I had on it.

Sony Walkman

This isn't the exact model I got for myself, but in the mid 90s I was still a big fan of tape mixes. There was something very appealing about recording your own tapes. I had a Phillips Tape deck with a level control and EQ. I used to ensure that my copies were pristine from CD. I loved the process and really loved the mechanical nature of tapes. I know we have infinitely more choice now, but there is nothing as nice as making your own mix tapes, labeling them yourselves with those stick on letters from stationery box and wrapping it up to give to friends. Or conversely get a tape from them to listen too.. great times. The exact Walkman I had was very thin made of aluminium and had a rechargeable battery. I used to love it very much till I got a Sharp Mini Disc player. Which took over for a while before mp3 started showing its ugly head in the late 90s early 2000s.

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Yes another hand held, but I do feel like this one really does need a special mention. This was ground breaking. I know we take stuff like calenders and the content as standard now. But back in the noughties this was epic..It was launched a year before the Gameboy Advance, so it was doomed already since it was rather low spec. However I was introduced to the wonderful metal slug through this wonderful device. It was cheap and cheerful when it launched in game. The most impressive feature was the hilarious horoscope which was built in. It died off when the GBA took off, but was a lovely device and had a far better screen than the GBA.

Iphone 4

I had the iphone 3G before this, but this truly was the only thing that took my breath away when I got in 2010. The way it felt was unlike any other gadget and the functionality at the time was unrivaled. There were some competitors but no one to match the quality of this design. I am glad Apple have re-iterated the design elements in their new phone, because I think from a hardware perspective this is one of the most gorgeous designs ever released. The texture of the metal against the glass is just something that was never merged before. The apps on it too were great. I really enjoyed everything it had to offer. I know it still holds a lot of things for a lot of people but I needed a change of scenery. The combination of merging all the things I have listed above (Gaming/Music/Films/Internet) in one convenient package is testament to what makes apple good. I had many fury filled nights of error 14s but hey.. it was kind of worth it.

Google Nexus 7

This device made me forget apple and made realize the world beyond Ios. The feel of this thing in your hand is an experience you must go through, in order to appreciate its beauty. Yes its cheap, yes its powerful but beyond those things it is actually a device that evokes a feeling of gadgets past. I really like holding it, it feels more comfortable than the ipad 2 & 3 (both which I owned), and it is much better for reading since your hands tire less. Gaming is being sold a s a big thing on it, but I haven't given that much of a go. What is good though is the way the OS works, the speed and efficiency of skipping back and forth through email triage is just perfect. The screen is not as colorful as the ipad 3 which is a bit of an annoyance. In fact it is not as bright as my Dell netbook either. However for day to day use there is nothing that equals it. Its hard to explain the feel of the OS till you actually have a go... but Matias Duarte has a deep understanding of the user experience which is obviously clear in this device.

So.. what makes your crave your gadgets and what gadgets make you want to go on longer train journeys..

KLG-7A

Mildly Diverting

Just. Beautiful.

Look at it and marvel.

And the feel of the keys. Oh, the keys...