Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[muso] Fave Guitar Songs To Play

Started by Neil, February 02, 2004, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Let's raise this one from the dead.  Did anyone ever get round to checking out my recommendation for Link Wray's "Rumble"?  It really is a cracking song, easy to learn and terrific fun to play.  If you've not checked it out then this quote should clinch it - "If it wasn't for Link Wray's Rumble I would never have picked up a guitar" - Pete Townshend.

http://tony-50.bravepages.com/rumble-tab.html

Frinky

A 'lil slice of rock from Irelands finest (yes, I meant that)...

http://walking-barefoot.com/tabs/kungfu.txt

Couldn't be easier... a selection of blasting bar chords, a muted heavy E rythm, a one-string solo and if you've got it, Wah action a-plenty. Indecent fun!

Neil

Well, I'd have to take issue with that and scream "THIN LIZZY!" at you.  I did like the early Ash stuff though, so I'll start writing that tab down now to practice in the bedroom.  Can anyone recommend fun Beatles songs to play?  Oh yeah, I found lots of guitar vids on Soulseek, hooray.  Currently downloading "How to play Blackbird."  Also "Guitar Lesson - Greg Howe - Hot Rock Licks (DivX)" which some chap recommended to me.  Take the -'s out if you search for it though.

And finally, this is a must "Tabs (6928 guitar pro, 3249 txt) + 1303 Midi files.zip"  Fucking brilliant, if you haven't got GuitarPro4 then get it!

Frinky

Wee, fight! Nah, I'll admit that was ignorance on my part, I just think they're better than U2.

Neil

True enough.  I'm saddened that Ash got all girly once their balls dropped (?!).  I remmeber reading an interview in a guitar mag when the first album came out, tey were saying, "fair enough, this album is a bit soft, but the next one will be Black fucking Sabbath."

JJJJH

On bass, for pure funkmanship, I recommend the Manics' Roses In't Hospital, as there's loads you can do on fretted or fretless, very flexible song, plus the Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight. For pure root-note ecstasy I suggest Cindy Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Pink Floyd's Sorrow.

Spiteface

I'm really into the Smashing Pumpkins at the moment, what I like to play is an instrumental called "Jackboot", killer Drop-D Riff, If you have The Vieuphoria DVD, it's the riff Billy plays at the end of "Silverfuck"

Here it is:

http://spfc.org/data/music/gtab/jackboot-32.tab

Benny J. Fish

For something new and fresh (and indeed clean) using G C D and E you can now play Hey Ya, which is much fun!

Des Nilsen

easytarget

Two more good songs to play:
Ash (yet again) - Burn, Baby Burn.
Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device.    

There's something about stop-start choruses that is just ace.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteAsh (yet again) - Burn, Baby Burn

Indeed. It's best if you just record that metronomic mini-riff, and just play the chords on top of it. Say, If you're feeling really fancy, sing the fucker as well!

Songs which are essentially easy to play, but also have a great effect. I tabbed out the perrenial VW favourite "Hurt", the Johhny Cash version, and was surprised how close the effect came to the actual record.

Frinky

Quote from: "easytarget"There's something about stop-start choruses that is just ace.

Indeed. Fell In Love With A Girl?

B, A, D, E which then goes to Fsharp, A, D, E. Piece of piss, lots of fun.

JJJJH

Bass:

The Whispers: 'And The Beat Goes On'
Sugarhill Gang: 'Rapper's Delight'
ABC: 'Poison Arrow'

(big into funky stuff at the mo)

elderford

Not that I condone playing Beatles songs, but Dear Prudence is about as much fun as you can have with an open D major chord and a descending bass.

NattyDread

Quote from: "JJJJH"Bass:
Sugarhill Gang: 'Rapper's Delight'
(big into funky stuff at the mo)

Do you know that bassline is lifted from 'Good Times' by Chic?
Just thought I'd point it out, as it's another song to your repotoire if you weren't aware.

NattyDread

Quote from: "Neil"
And finally, this is a must "Tabs (6928 guitar pro, 3249 txt) + 1303 Midi files.zip"  Fucking brilliant, if you haven't got GuitarPro4 then get it!

Did you get this on Soulseek, Neil? I've looked there and on Kazaa, to no avail.

sore bottom mum

Kraftwerk - Radio Activity

mmm....how bloody ironic!

i'm gone[/b]

sproggy

For Beatles stuff, I Feel Fine has a cracking riff, bit tricky though.

It's was said Lennon had trouble playing this and singing at the same time.

http://www.guitaretab.com/b/beatles/1153.htm

sore bottom mum

A bit of a gay one this but 'Dream a little dream of me' is a favorite.

...and for a nice casio keyboard version click here

...and for tabs:here