Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buying A PS3 for Blu-Ray/Streaming and Games?

Started by The Βoston Crab, September 19, 2012, 05:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Βoston Crab

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 to watch Blu-Ray and Netflix and online shit through my telly. I'd like to play some games on it but I can't think of anything which I wouldn't rather play on my laptop with mouse/keys or arcade stick. I seldom play games but is there anything to buy the PS3 for? I've played LBP and it's not as good as Mario Galaxy so I've no interest in it. Is there anything really good besides Uncharted?

Or, am I better off getting a Blu-Ray player and sorting out internet -> TV shit another way?

Cheers.

Thursday

Well some of the bigger exclusives are Heavy Rain and there'll also be Beyond: Two Souls coming fairly soonish. Which might appeal to you. The Last of Us will probably be very good. There's some good PSN exclusives in Journey and to a lesser extent Flower which are in the "more of an artsy experience" than a game category. Journey in particular might appeal to your sensibilities.

Not really sure what games you like though.

surreal

Just FYI, new PS3 even-slimmer has just been announced so might be some deals on the "older" versions of the console...

I use mine exclusively for streaming TV shows from a PC upstairs, using Twonky server (others are available), and also it's very useful for iPlayer.  I don't watch broadcast TV now, just downloads and iPlayer so it's ideal.  Goes without saying that the blu-ray player is great on it, kept very much up to date with the latest firmwares so supports 3D etc.

mobias

The PS3 does have some very good exclusives and now is a good time to buy since Sony are about to release a new version of it. Either pick up a slightly older one going cheap or buy the 250GB model. Personally I'd not bother with the new 12GB version, which looks like its being aimed purely at people who want it for its blu-ray and iPlayer abilities.  If you do suddenly discover you love gaming on it then you're going to find yourself VERY limited with what you can do with it with only 12GB.

As soon as you get it buy Uncharted 2 (don't bother with the first) thats probably the best introduction to what gaming on the console is all about. 

momatt

I know a few DVD / Blu-Ray authoring chaps and they all use PS3s where they work (for testing and quality control of the discs).  They are still among the best quality players you can get and do DVD upscaling very well too.
iPlayer is very good on them and Youtube works pretty well.

So get one, they're fantastic.  Think of the games as an added bonus.

Still Not George

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on September 19, 2012, 05:28:35 PMI've played LBP and it's not as good as Mario Galaxy so I've no interest in it.
Objectively wrong and a sign of inherent moral weakness in your character.

The Βoston Crab

Thanks for this. Both of my bros have got one in fact so I should have a decent library to work through in any case. I'm really looking for a home media content thing for when I move in with the missus as I tend to just watch stuff on the laptop. Appreciate the advice, chaps.

brat-sampson

My PS3 basically *is* my media hub. Blu-rays, downloads, iPlayer/Netflix (when I had it) also games sometimes though others I prefer to play on 360. It's net browser is an abomination but then that goes for all consoles.

I'd vote for yes.

Santa's Boyfriend

Yep, me too.  The PS3 is one of the best things I ever bought, I use it most days - but I rarely ever play games.  Mainly I watch iPlayer and Netflix, both of which are excellent (though iPlayer regularly has buffer under-running issues.  Not sure why they don't do something similar to Netflix where they just drop the quality when the network is squiffy).  There's also Lovefilm and something on there called Vidzone, which is kind of your own MTV, where you can watch a channel or create a playlist of music videos.  The Blu-ray player is solid and regularly updated, But perhaps the best thing about it is the fact that, if you get the PS3 Media Server for your PC (it's free), you can turn your PC into a wireless hard drive for your PS3.  I stream all my music, photos and videos from my PC to the PS3, and it's pretty damn awesome.

So yeah, I'd recommend it.

The Βoston Crab

I didn't even know about the Media Server, so that's brilliant. Thanks very much, youse guys. I've just got it, £230 from HMV, 320Gb with two controllers, Uncharted 3 & some shit BluRay film. Seems like a good deal. The Asdas had 320Gb solo for £229.

TIAL

You won't regret it. I use mine all the time.
One other handy feature is being to plug in a memory stick and watch all the DivXs I've downloaded from the computer on TV, it's pretty good in file compatability - in fact I don't think it's had a problem with anything yet.

The Βoston Crab

Set up the Media Server, given them ALL my details, downloading Journey. I hoped I'd be able to let it work in the background but when I clicked that, it seemed to make an unsatisfying noise. I'll go and make me tea instead and wait it out.

I can't believe I got one to be honest, I've almost no desire to play any computer games. I think as a media centre it will be brilliant, though.

The Βoston Crab

No, it worked fine in the background.

I signed up for PSPlus, it's insane. Am I right in thinking that I will barely need to buy any games with this subscription? I've got RDR and LBP2 and a bunch of other shit on the d/l now. Are they all just old games or something? I just did 90 days to see how it goes but it seems like a winner.

Set up Lovefilm and the quality is great, I don't think I'll ever need buy a DVD again. Best purchase in a long while.

Santa's Boyfriend

Would also recommend trying Netflix for 30 days after your Lovefilm free trial runs out.  I poo-pooed netflix a bit when they first arrived as I'd used Lovefilm for years, but actually their technology is much better than Lovefilm.  For a start, goodness knows why, but Lovefilm don't stream in HD or in 5.1.  Netflix does both of them.  Plus the navigation is, in my opinion at least, much better (though I know many disagree).

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on September 20, 2012, 10:36:43 PM
Would also recommend trying Netflix for 30 days after your Lovefilm free trial runs out.  I poo-pooed netflix a bit when they first arrived as I'd used Lovefilm for years, but actually their technology is much better than Lovefilm.  For a start, goodness knows why, but Lovefilm don't stream in HD or in 5.1.  Netflix does both of them.  Plus the navigation is, in my opinion at least, much better (though I know many disagree).

All that, *and* you can access the Netflix US content by simply changing the console's DNS settings.

The Βoston Crab

I get lovefilm for nothing through my bank account or I'd switch. I'll sign up for the netflix trial in any case, nothing to lose. Streaming delocated to the telly from my laptop has made my evening. This is going to be so useful.

jutl

Quote from: Still Not George on September 20, 2012, 09:51:38 AM
Objectively wrong and a sign of inherent moral weakness in your character.

I love both, but LBP is better. I suppose if you had no interest in the level creation tools or the levels others have created you could be right - but then what kind of person would you be?

Still Not George

The problem is, he spends so much time on the Internet that he's neglected the real world, so he can no longer tell the difference between a jazzed-up stack of 20 year old game mechanics with some half-assed rim lighting and a real ground-breaker. It's not his fault, if only he'd been abroad and broadened his horizons he'd know better.

The Βoston Crab

Quote from: jutl on September 22, 2012, 07:18:07 PM
I suppose if you had no interest in the level creation tools or the levels others have created you could be right - but then what kind of person would you be?

Quote from: Still Not George on September 22, 2012, 08:43:25 PM
The problem is, he spends so much time on the Internet that he's neglected the real world, so he can no longer tell the difference between a jazzed-up stack of 20 year old game mechanics with some half-assed rim lighting and a real ground-breaker. It's not his fault, if only he'd been abroad and broadened his horizons he'd know better.

Precisely. And yet despite all this SMG is still better than LBP!

I've got LBP2 and had a good run around on it. Definitely growing on me, the mechanics are incredible. I think I'm just not that keen on how 'knowing' non-Nintendo games often are, like everything has to be delivered with a wink. There's nothing wrong with the sincerity of an Italian plumber.