Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monty Python corporate training films

Started by Darrell, February 09, 2004, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

Been watching these this morning - they're rather charming, and certainly entertaining. Has anybody else seen these? I think you can get the Birdseye one off Pythonet, actually. Does anybody know why they did three for different companies in a short space of time? Or how the films came to be bootlegged?

It was a pretty inspired decision to get the Pythons to do these, it just wouldn't happen today. I wonder if there's any chance of these ever being cleared for inclusion as DVD extras? They're certainly worthy of extras status, especially they feature lots of Flying Circus characters like Mr Gumby and Luigi Vercotti, and even followups to stuff like Whicker Island. Don't they feature the last appearance by Cleese as a Python (before he sodded off) too?

Are there any other instances of comedians doing these?

(Bit of a rambling post, but hey.)

butnut

Isn't Gervais doing some for microcock or something? There was a story along these lines on chortle a while ago, but I can't find it now.

Papercut

He was meant to be doing one for Dixons, as Brent.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "Papercut"He was meant to be doing one for Dixons, as Brent.

Life imitating art... Priceless.

I remember the stupid audio tapes we used to get at Halfords. A bunch of non-name actors acting out stupid shit. I used to do cut up's of them. Wish I still had them.

Esso did a series of corporate tapes too with that twat Chris Tarrant.

benthalo

QuoteOr how the films came to be bootlegged?

I can't answer that question with any precision, but I converted them to PAL so yours are probably a few gen down from that. They originated from America as you can probably tell. Well, the only copies I'm aware of did.

Very fond of The Birds Eye Peas Campaign. I watch it often. They seem a bit stiff in places, but they're full of ideas.

Pinball

John Cleese did a huge no. of training films in his company "Video Arts" before he sold said company for £50 million in the 90s.
They're outrageously expensive @ £300 or so for 20-minute videos! However, if anyone works in a large company with a good library who knows... ;-)

http://www.videoarts.co.uk

Many of the titles on the site seem to be new stuff - there's little classic Cleese but is some...
Edit: this one is 2002

Video clip here.

Pinball

QuoteThe hidden mind

Aim
To dispel the belief that fast decision-making is best and to show the importance of allowing the unconscious thinking process time and space to flourish.

The video
In this lecture recorded live at the Training 99 conference in Chicago, John Cleese challenges the basis of the decision-making processes prevalent in most of today's organisations. He argues that unless organisations are brave enough to reject the notion that business managers should think and act fast they will lose the ability to come up with innovative ideas and solutions and consequently put their futures in jeopardy.
Cleese proposes that there is a pressing need to harness the power of unconscious thinking. Allow the 'tortoise mind' to overtake the 'hare brain' and more fresh and unusual ideas will be the result.

Product ID: JC5
Who said Cleese isn't a comedian? ;-)

Darrell

One of these days someone's going to bootleg all the comedy-orientated ones so normal people can enjoy them. Hopefully.

Apparently some were once shown on BBC2...

Pinball

Quote from: "Darrell"One of these days someone's going to bootleg all the comedy-orientated ones so normal people can enjoy them. Hopefully.

Apparently some were once shown on BBC2...
I hope so! I wouldn't have thought that progs about using computers in the 70s will be of much training value now...