Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Started by weekender, October 06, 2012, 10:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

QuoteBased on the best-selling novel by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a modern classic that captures the dizzying highs and crushing lows of growing up. Starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a moving tale of love, loss, fear and hope-and the unforgettable friends that help us through life.

"Well that sounds a bit crap, but it's getting good reviews so we'll go and see it" was the approach taken before seeing this.  What follows is a short and fairly spoiler-free review (I hope).

Pleasantly surprised at how good this was - some strong performances (I thought Logan Lerman was very good, and Ezra Miller was fantastic), and overall a very well-written film with a 'warm' feeling to it.  Through all this it manages to convey a sense of fear, desperation and despair from many of the characters involved, before tying a lot of strands together in a fairly bleak scenario before ultimately ending on a note of happiness and hope.

It balances a nice line between sentiment - without getting too 'cheesy' - and story-telling, and that's not really a bad thing when it comes to the story - which is ultimately about a couple of years in high school during which most people go through changing times and how genuine friendship can play a part.  There's probably something somewhere in here which resonates with you - yes YOU, reading this - about something that happened in your younger years which at the time you felt was a disaster but which with hindsight you realise played an important part in your personal development, and it manages to point these things out without ever patronising any of the characters or the viewer themselves.  It just, as a film, seems to say "stuff happens, it happens to us all, you're not alone", and that message can - and perhaps should be - aimed at anyone.

It also felt like there were no wasted scenes in the film - this was the first film I've been to in a while where not a single mobile phone was produced and it genuinely looked like everyone was engrossed in a well told-tale.

Plus it had a really good soundtrack which not only involved The Smiths, Bowie etc but also made them an important part of the story-telling.

Summary: highly recommended, please go and see this, because you'll probably enjoy it.

vrailaine

I read about two thirds of this book a few months back, felt like it was written for an 11 year old, who would really adore it until they reader Catcher in the Rye at 13.

Heard good things about the film though, and the book seemed blank enough to make that a possibility if it were executed well enough.

To be fair, most times when people take out phones in a cinema, it's to check the time, beforehand I'm sure people looked at their watches even more.

KLG-7A

Quote from: weekender on October 06, 2012, 10:01:19 PM
Plus it had a really good soundtrack which not only involved The Smiths, Bowie etc but also made them an important part of the story-telling.
A lot of indie-style movies seem to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjevvw-mXE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tNqzXZyvM (can't find the actual scene, but imagine that picture moving and the man character saying "listen to this awesome song" for no reason)

These are the only movies of that sort of style I've seen because I don't watch them unless my other half wants to, so I'm hoping that it's not something that happens in absolutely all of them.

Incandenza

Stepping up to the plate:
I HATE films about someone wanting to "be a writer"
I HATE films where the characters sit around and talk about their cool taste in music.

But I really, really enjoyed this.
Just thought it was a warm, sweet flick with great performances.
Nothing hugely special, but I was gripped and moved.
Ezra Miller was fantastic, but didn't think Lerman was any less good, and had a difficult job, carrying most of the film with no lines.

Definitely worth a watch.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Just saw this. Was very good, but (not having read the book) I was somewhat surprised at some of the darker themes. It seems to have been sold as a quirky indie thing about teenage angst and I didn't seem to get a hint from anyone reviewing or recommending it that it would go
Spoiler alert
"oh yeah, by the way, child rape"
[close]
. Much better than I expected it to be and would recommend it to people who might dismiss it as bollocky.

BlodwynPig

Incandenza

Convinced a bunch of people to go who all replied "REEEEALLY?!" and then ended up enjoying it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Incandenza on November 08, 2012, 05:08:20 PM
Convinced a bunch of people to go who all replied "REEEEALLY?!" and then ended up enjoying it.

na

El Unicornio, mang

It is apparently excellent, and y'know, this

Dark Sky

I read the book years ago and thought it was horrid.

Though if they've kept the bit from the book where the boys kiss then obviously I'll buy the Blu-Ray.

(I say "they" as though the film wasn't written and directed by the guy who wrote the book)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 08, 2012, 07:52:30 PM
It is apparently excellent, and y'know, this

There's an even better bit where they recreate the "Creature of the Night" scene. I'd always wondered what all the fuss about Emma Watson was until tonight, and whilst she's too young for me, she's definitely rather attractive in this.

And I could understand why some might dislike it, it deliberately pushes all the buttons you'd expect from a coming of age movie, and some of the highs are perhaps a bit predictable. But, at least most of the time, the lead's experiences are positive things with no down side. So he accidentally gets stoned on hash cakes but everyone loves him all the more, his English teacher is one of those amazing types who nourishes his love for literature, and the friendships he makes are pure and life enhancing.

It's geek wish fulfillment down to a tee, and I was suckered in to it from the get go. But it was a consensual thing, as I was in the mood to be warmed by a sweet (but not saccharine) tale. Yes, it's manipulative, but the film's has such a genuine sense of honesty and charm I couldn't help but be enchanted by it.

On the downside, there's the predictable bit where it all goes wrong for a bit, but then every movie of this type has to put us through the wringer before giving us a happy ending and fortunately here it doesn't last too long (and isn't where you think it'll take place too). And overall I really, really enjoyed it, and definitely would recommend it for when you're in the mood for this type of film.