Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2013

Started by Beagle 2, October 07, 2012, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

So... did you get a ticket? We had ten people trying and eventually one of us got through, so I'll be off for the first time since 2008. It's a festival like no other and after a few years pissing about at Green Man I'm looking forward to seeing some acts I actually like. Dunno who I'd like as a headliner, but last night in the pub we decided Elton John would be a decent legend for the Sunday. One for the middle aged thread there I think. Just please not Kings of Leon. Or Muse. Or Coldplay. Nah there's no chance of avoiding them is there....

kitsofan34

It's the first time I've tried to get tickets, the mere prospect that The Smiths could reunite on my birthday made me very hopeful indeed. At 9 a.m I proceed to try both via telephone and online for the next 1 hour and 45 minutes, never even getting remotely close. FUCKING SHITTTTTTTTT.

Congratulations on getting tickets though Beagle, genuinely.

Blinder Data

I didn't try to get a ticket but most of my friends who did were unsuccessful. It's absolutely insane - one hour and 40 minutes? In that time they sold over 100,000 tickets? What is this madness?!

When I went I had a great time but I couldn't help feel it was just way too big. The nature of the festival is that you only see about 5% of it (actually, that's probably far too generous) which is fine. But when it takes 45 minutes to get anywhere because of the mud and then paths get bottlenecked and so on - I dunno, I just wish it was more manageable. Why not have several little Glastos throughout the year? Spread the love a little.

I'm not bitter.

CaledonianGonzo

It wasn't easy, but I managed to get through three times to make separate transactions so we're all going.  There were definitely a few tense moments, though.  Next big stress is trying to get a tipi when they go onsale in April.

As for headliners, I'd immediately rule out The Smiths.

The Rolling Stones, however, are a far likelier propsect - as, at a guess, are Radiohead, possibly Lady Gaga and possibly Blur.

Petey Pate

I failed to get a ticket.  Got up, used the reloader app on chrome so the seetickets page refreshed by itself every second but still no luck.  Seems that its purely based on chance regardless of your internet speed.  It's ridiculous how 140,000 tickets went in less than 2 hours (half of which were supposedly sold in the last 20 minutes), when there's no information about the line up or anything.  When I first went back in 2009 I managed to buy a ticket in January, the following year they were all sold in less than a day.  What is it that's made it so popular in recent years?

There will be a resale in April, but I'd advise applying to work there if you want a better chance of actually going.  You get to save a nice bit of cash as well (provided you actually do your shifts).

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 07, 2012, 11:37:27 AM
The Rolling Stones, however, are a far likelier propsect - as, at a guess, are Radiohead, possibly Lady Gaga and possibly Blur.

My money is on One Direction or some other shite.  It was reported that Adele was asked to headline but she declined.

CaledonianGonzo

There was a fuckup with SeeTickets DNS servers, so all ticket sales were being handled by one of the servers while the other one was sitting unused.  They fixed it in the last 20 minutes or so, which is why sales suddenly accelerated towards the end and it went from halfway sold out to done and dusted in the blink of an eye.

As an aside, I was using both Chrome and Firefox - the reloaders were doing more harm than good and in the end I put all my orders through on Firefox.

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 07, 2012, 01:13:44 PM
My money is on One Direction or some other shite.  It was reported that Adele was asked to headline but she declined.

Adele doesn't play festivals due to stagefright.  I'm still relatively confident that I'll be grooving out to Sympathy For The Devil before the curtain closes next June. 

Waking Life

How did you manage to get through 3 times?  The last time I went I had to rely on a friend getting through.

I actually didn't even try this year, although I was debating it until this morning.  Going to Primavera in May so it's probably a little too close.

CaledonianGonzo

I'm starting to wonder myself, to be honest, given the horror stories I'm hearing from a lot of people.

There's probably not much more to it than luck - though I did have a laptop on the go as well.  We had BT Infinity installed recently which maybe helps with the speed at this end, but I think it's still just a bit of a lottery getting connected to See.

(unless you used the backdoor DNS method described here: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/171715-backdoor-entry-direct-to-booking-form/#entry3840523)

thugler

Going with 10 pals. Didn't manage to get through as usual, but a couple of friends did. If they wanted to make it fair they could just have a queue system, but they obviously don't care.

There are far too many people there, but it offers so much more than any other festival. Hoping for the stones too

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 07, 2012, 02:43:41 PM
I'm starting to wonder myself, to be honest, given the horror stories I'm hearing from a lot of people.

There's probably not much more to it than luck - though I did have a laptop on the go as well.  We had BT Infinity installed recently which maybe helps with the speed at this end, but I think it's still just a bit of a lottery getting connected to See.

(unless you used the backdoor DNS method described here: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/171715-backdoor-entry-direct-to-booking-form/#entry3840523)

I did use that, after an hour of getting nowhere, tried that and got through instantly - bit of a fuck up on See Tickets part that, but then what's new.

But yay, got tickets for me and friends, gave 2011 a miss after about 6 in a row, really excited to go back.

CaledonianGonzo

It would have saved me a lot of hassle if I'd known about it as well - I was too busy hitting F5 to check forums or Twitter. 

I'll still be seeing after-images of bright green plasticky-looking grass when I close my eyes to sleep tonight.

Beagle 2

Last time I went in '08 they were selling tickets on the door I believe, I remember phoning a mate from the festival itself trying to persuade him to come down. I think they announced the headliners beforehand in those days though, and it was Jay Z, the Verve and Kings of Leon. Poor.

CaledonianGonzo

2008 was a little unusual in that regard:

Quote2011 - on sale October, sold out 4 hours (1.15pm).
2010 - on sale October, sold out 12 hours.
2009 - on sale October, sold out February.
2008 - on Sale April, sold out a day before.
2007 - First year of registration system (implemented to cut out touting) on sale April, sold out 2 hours.
2006 - Fallow year.
2005 - on sale April, sold out 1 hour and 45 minutes (touts and scalpers blamed with thousands then put up for sale on eBay).
2004 - on sale April, sold out 24 hours.
2003 - on sale April, sold out 26 hours.
2002 - on sale April, sold out after 25 days, which was the first time it sold out 2 months in advance, and the first year of the super fence.

sproggy

I had 3 browsers running, tried the backdoor and phone on redial and didn't get a sniff.  I suspect Glost 2013 will be full of browser freaks and iPad hipsters (nothing new there then)

I've signed up for volunteer work, but at my age it'll probably kill me, could think of worse way to go I suppose.

The Stones can kiss my chuddies though... freeloading twats.

mobias

One year Michael Evis is going twist the arm of his pal Robert Plant enough to reform Led Zep. I suspect it won't be next year if the Sones are indeed playing, and it seems likely that they will. The other band I'd like to see headline is Kraftwerk. Though I must admit I'm less enthralled by their current live set up now that the stoic Florian Schneider has left them. 

El Unicornio, mang

I think The Stone Roses will probably make an appearance. And possibly have a mishap which causes them to be replaced by Pulp at the last minute.

SteveDave

I've never gone & I never want to. From what I've seen & read & heard it sounds like my idea of hell. Especially now it's mostly populated by people who look like extras from Hollyoaks with too much money & too much product in their hair.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: sproggybrowser freaks and iPad hipsters

I'm unfamiliar with either of these demographics.  Are they sort of folk who make up meaningless buzzwordy-sounding phrases to insult people?

Quote from: El Unicornio, mangI think The Stone Roses will probably make an appearance. And possibly have a mishap which causes them to be replaced by Pulp at the last minute.

I know you're mainly summoning up the ghost of 1995, but I genuinely thought that they'd be bolted on until Emily Eavis said last week that they definitely weren't playing.  Though that could just be a smokescreen for a guest appearance at The Park Stage.

And speaking of Robert Plant and 1995, seeing Page and Plant that year was a definite highlight.

Beagle 2

Quote from: SteveDave on October 08, 2012, 08:55:32 AM
I've never gone & I never want to. From what I've seen & read & heard it sounds like my idea of hell. Especially now it's mostly populated by people who look like extras from Hollyoaks with too much money & too much product in their hair.

There are lots of "young people" there, but there are lots of every age of person there. There's a real diversity in the profile of all the exclusively white people.

Is it really worth the cash to get a tipi then? I was struck by how quieter it is in those fields when I've walked through them before, which used to seem boring but now sounds rather nice.

CaledonianGonzo

It makes sense to me as -  being self-employed - I can turn up to the site on the Thursday and not have to worry about being there for the gates opening on the Wednesday to get a decent pitch.  Not having to take the Wednesday off work means, more or less, that it pays for itself.

They're not perfect as they can be a bit leaky and there's no privacy in them, but last year after all the rain on the Wednesday the tipi field was the only green part of the site. 

Beagle 2

Sheesh.... £158 each for 6 people. They do take the piss a bit. Although getting there a bit later is very tempting to avoid being utterly fucked by the Friday.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The last time I went to Glastonbury, I bought the tickets in May, and they cost 25 quid each. This is because I'm marginally younger than Michael Eavis.

George Oscar Bluth II

I got through to the page where you write your details in three times but it just collapsed on me after that. So near and yet, so far...

I'm planning on either volunteering to work or the resale or forming a band.

Endicott

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 08, 2012, 11:59:25 AM
The last time I went to Glastonbury, I bought the tickets in May, and they cost 25 quid each. This is because I'm marginally younger than Michael Eavis.

I'm guessing this would be no later than 1982?

vrailaine

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 07, 2012, 11:31:19 AM
It's the first time I've tried to get tickets, the mere prospect that The Smiths could reunite on my birthday made me very hopeful indeed. At 9 a.m I proceed to try both via telephone and online for the next 1 hour and 45 minutes, never even getting remotely close. FUCKING SHITTTTTTTTT.

Congratulations on getting tickets though Beagle, genuinely.
What makes that a prospect, may I ask?

Beagle 2

There were some rumours that there was going to be an arena tour next year, then Coachella offered to go 100% veggie if they did a headline set. Then Morrissey issues a statement that said: "The Smiths are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to reunite – ever."

It's a little ambiguous I think, sounds like it's on.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Endicott on October 08, 2012, 03:02:06 PM
I'm guessing this would be no later than 1982?

Oooops. Would have been ten years later than that. The tickets were Forty quid, now that I think of it. The cheaper ticket price stems from the first Glastonbury I went to.

Pranet

Got a ticket using the backdoor method. Assumed the people who I normally go with would get a ticket from their family connections so didn't get them tickets as well, but apparently the insider tickets are not guaranteed so they may have to take their chances in the resale. Bit of a sod because if they don't get a ticket I will either have wasted my money or I'll have to go on my tod, which frankly might send me mad.

If anyone else does want to go it is worth trying the resales, I got a ticket that way last time. I had to get a coach ticket though, which wasn't ideal.

Noodle Lizard

I have no idea why people would spend hundreds on tickets to a festival where they have no idea who will actually be playing (except for people who just go to festivals to be drunk in the mud).