Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2013

Started by Beagle 2, October 07, 2012, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 08, 2012, 06:31:03 PM
Funkadelic as the sun set opening with a stunning 20 minute version of Maggot Brain.
There wasn't any mud that year, either.

I was one of the few people who skulked off early from that when it was evident that George was 'refreshed' in the backstage area and refusing to come onstage. When they invited the breakdancer to do a filling slot and then got their brother in law to come and play the spoons, that was when I finally had enough. A similar farcical story can be heard about Sly Stone.

The Flaming Lips were good though.

Quote from: Don_Preston on October 17, 2012, 06:27:21 PM
I was one of the few people who skulked off early from that when it was evident that George was 'refreshed' in the backstage area and refusing to come onstage. When they invited the breakdancer to do a filling slot and then got their brother in law to come and play the spoons, that was when I finally had enough. A similar farcical story can be heard about Sly Stone.

What? George Clinton came on at the start at the end of Maggot Brain, which they opened with as a tribute to Garry Shider who had died that week, and George was basically then on stage the whole set.

Have you seen Parliament or Funkadelic or read about their live shows before? They're not a one-man show. It was a bloody awesome show, especially as they'd just lost a friend and key band member days earlier.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Don_Preston on October 17, 2012, 06:27:21 PM

The Flaming Lips were good though.

George Clinton was on stage.  It took me a while to recognise him though cause he wasn't wearing his trademark coloured hair extensions.  You can see him on the right of Michael Hampton (the guitarist) in this video.  Sound quality is terrible, but I'm glad someone documented the show, seeing as the BBC didn't televise it (why?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5Pg5UEEcc

EDIT: You can see him close up at the start of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM_5z4Zg3Bw&feature=BFa&list=PLCB35C4B70FC20B34

CaledonianGonzo

Looks like the Stones are going to be announced as headliners this evening:

https://twitter.com/GRRRegory#

It's sort of disappointing, now I'll have to go and see them. It's great for the festival overall though.

So Arctic Monkeys/Rolling Stones/Mumford & Sons seems pretty much dead on then. Hopefully they have some decent Other Stage/West Holts headliners lined up instead, I'm sure they will.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: The Always Red Society on March 27, 2013, 06:35:02 PM
It's sort of disappointing, now I'll have to go and see them. It's great for the festival overall though.

I'll direct you to the final track on Let it Bleed....

Chic are seemingly in with a good shout of headlining West Holts one night by the looks of it.

Neville Chamberlain

thugler

Bloody cuntford and cunts.

Johnny Townmouse

I can't think of a more expensive and unpleasant way to spend 3-hours watching The Horrors, The Congos, PiL and Public Enemy.

kitsofan34

Can't believe I didn't get tickets. Could've had Mumford and Sons playing all my fave tunes on my birthday :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

CaledonianGonzo

I'm quite taken aback by this wholly unexpected cynicism.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 27, 2013, 07:30:43 PM

Heh.

There's some excellent stuff on that line up, obviously the most important thing is that a hugely popular but quite average band are headlining one night. The hatred of Mumford and Sons is a bit lost on me, they're a bit rubbish but I can't understand why they're such a popular target of hate really.

CaledonianGonzo

There's a lot on there that'll do me quite nicely.  I was hoping for Burt Bacharach, ZZ Top and maybe Toots and the Maytals again...but I can definitely live with it..

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 27, 2013, 08:11:36 PM
There's a lot on there that'll do me quite nicely.  I was hoping for Burt Bacharach, ZZ Top and maybe Toots and the Maytals again...but I can definitely live with it..

It's nice as well when you notice someone like The Congos in the small print.

I reckon I'll probably love seeing the Stones come June, I'm a big fan of their pre-80s catalogue, I've just never had any desire to pay to see their gigs. Have you ever seen them Gonzo?

CaledonianGonzo

Lots of nice names hidden away.  Matthew E White.  Goat.  Ondatropica.  Dinosaur Jnr.  Solange.  Tom Tom Club.

I've seen the Stones a fair few times, aye.  If you allow for them being a little ragged round the edges due to the fairly extensive battle damage they've experienced over the years, they can still bring home the bacon.  It's a back catalogue that's not to be sniffed at, as far as I'm concerned - and apparently they're sharper than they've been for years now that Ronnie's sober and Keith's off the meds from his brain surgery.  Mix in guest spots from Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor and a judiciously-chosen setlist and there's no reason why it shouldn't be a cracking show.

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 27, 2013, 08:22:12 PM
Lots of nice names hidden away.  Matthew E White.  Goat.  Ondatropica.  Dinosaur Jnr.  Solange. 

I've seen the Stones a fair few times, aye.  If you allow for them being a little ragged round the edges due to the fairly extensive battle damage they've experienced over the years, they can still bring home the bacon.  It's a back catalogue that's not to be sniffed at, as far as I'm concerned - and apparently they're sharper than they've been for years now that Ronnie's sober and Keith's off the meds from his brain surgery.

Given that I agree with all of the nice names you mentioned there... I'm sort of willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the Stones.

It'll be cracking anyway, I missed 2011 so it's been ages, really looking forward to it now.

Petey Pate

There's some good stuff on the line up, but I'm not too disappointed that I won't be going this year.  I was considering applying to steward with Oxfam, and I did have priority application having worked for them last year, but there's no positions left now anyway.  I'll save my money for a holiday instead.

Artemis

Nas should be on a bigger stage than that.

CaledonianGonzo

That's the new dance mega-tent, so it's probably a bigger stage than something like the John Peel tent.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 27, 2013, 07:30:43 PM

I'm just jealous. I'd love to go and see cat power, oysterband, portishead and the stones et al.

Beagle 2

I'm fucking chuffed. Loads on there I'm looking forward to.

Uncle TechTip

I'd shit in my hand and scrunch it into a fist if it meant I could see Public Enemy. Oh I wish it were 15 years ago when I was actually able to go.

CaledonianGonzo

Part of me feels I should be boycotting Public Enemy given that Flavor Flav makes Chris Brown look like an angel, but it's all academic as I'll be off to see the Stones.

El Unicornio, mang

Good line-up, but god that website is awful. You'd think the biggest music festival in the world would be able to come up with something that doesn't look like it was made in 1995 by a 16-year old.

Blinder Data

That's their super basic website they use for special occasions, like selling tickets or releasing the line-up, so as not to get overwhelmed by the deluge of middle-class ponces that patronise the dirty corporate husk they call 'Glasto'.

Not jealous at all.

Waking Life

A lot there I'd like to see, a bit disappointed now. Going to Primavera, which has a fair bit of crossover, although no Stones or Costello sadly.

Danger Man

Dear anybody under 50....join us.

Head Gardener