Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2013

Started by Beagle 2, October 07, 2012, 11:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I'd have liked to have seen the crowd's reaction if Warren Ellis had tried to enter the fray and gaze into a girl's eyes.

23 Daves

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 02, 2013, 08:03:22 PM
The best thing I saw apart from PiL were two spoken word artists[nb]Really should find out their names[/nb] that played to an almost empty poetry tent. My sister was compering so I got to go back stage. Which was nice.

Do find out their names.   There's a full list here: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/?view=stage#poetrywords  I probably know them, and I'd like to pass your compliments on because we don't get a lot of that round our way[nb]Though the last time somebody complimented a spoken word artist on CaB I began to mention it and he went white and stammered: "What? No... what have they been SAYING ABOUT ME?"[/nb].  I meant to stick in an application to Glastonbury to perform there myself this year, but I missed the deadline (and the fact that I almost certainly wouldn't have got on the bill anyway didn't help me to get a move on). 

daffs

Quote from: 23 Daves on July 02, 2013, 11:15:25 PM
Do find out their names.   There's a full list here: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/?view=stage#poetrywords  I probably know them, and I'd like to pass your compliments on because we don't get a lot of that round our way[nb]Though the last time somebody complimented a spoken word artist on CaB I began to mention it and he went white and stammered: "What? No... what have they been SAYING ABOUT ME?"[/nb].  I meant to stick in an application to Glastonbury to perform there myself this year, but I missed the deadline (and the fact that I almost certainly wouldn't have got on the bill anyway didn't help me to get a move on).

I saw a bit of it, and I don't know anything about what is considered good, but Joe Dunthorne (who, though I was surprised to see appear as I was simply waiting for some comedy to start, I was pre-disposed to liking out of recognition) was at least amusing

23 Daves

Quote from: daffs on July 02, 2013, 11:53:16 PM
I saw a bit of it, and I don't know anything about what is considered good, but Joe Dunthorne (who, though I was surprised to see appear as I was simply waiting for some comedy to start, I was pre-disposed to liking out of recognition) was at least amusing

Oh yeah, he's pretty good.  Sadly, I don't really know him, so I can't tap him on the shoulder and frighten him by saying people on Cookd and Bombd were discussing his set. 

Beagle 2

I've only just remembered I saw Tom Tom Club - Christ, that seems a long time ago. Did anyone catch them? Thought they were brilliant.

gabrielconroy

Don't know if it's been posted already, but I'm watching the Portishead set, which has been put up in its entirety on youtube. Goosebumps all over on Wandering Star.

Also features a robot David Cameron firing lasers from its dead eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Azvv3xut4

Ray Le Otter

Alternatively if you just want to cut to the chase here's Portishead's "Wandering Star" and "Machine Gun" in glorious HD, so you can see the evil eyes better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TbnPrqckmA

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Squink on July 02, 2013, 09:41:02 PM
The scene at the Cave homestead must have been a sobering affair when he returned, post-Glastonbury. You can almost picture Mrs. Cave in the doorway, arms folded, her lips thinning as he sheepishly makes his way up the path. "Bloody BBC iPlayer," mutters Cave, before skulking off to his room.

I'm sure she's used to it, he's been doing that kind of thing for godknowshowlong.  It's all choreography!

CaledonianGonzo

Bloke from eFestivals reckons that agreements are in place for next year's headliners to probably be Elbow, Depeche Mode and Fleetwood Mac.  A mixed bag as always, but there you go.

Courtesy of the good folks at the festival I've been given 6 guaranteed 2014 tickets, so I'm hoping for the full Tusk experience when the Mac play.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2013, 09:09:35 AM
Courtesy of the good folks at the festival I've been given 6 guaranteed 2014 tickets,

"Good"? And for all the people, including posters on this thread, who failed to gain tickets for this year? Hardly "good" for them. How can any one justify this?

(I did start a thread addressing the problem of 'it's the same people who get to go to everything' and suggesting limiting individual access as a way to combat this. So I've not just woken up grouchy and felt like a moan. And you've always seemed entirely fair, fine and groovy and stuff, but how can it be justified when so many people are left ticketless year after year?)

[EDIT - The fact you have always appeared fair, fine and groovy and stuff, (allied with your pre-reserved back-hander tickets) means you're the ideal person to ask really.

Not that I need to spell it out, but say, for those years you've gone (recently) you'd tried and desperately failed to get tickets, then, there's someone who not only gets tickets every year but is now being promised tickets for next year's bash 6 or more months before they go sale), well, you'd feel something wasn't quite right and you were, to some extent, having the piss taken, no?

This is what happens when they ended the real festival by making everyone pay, sorry, require a wrist band of one sort or another, to get in.]

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 09, 2013, 09:20:04 AM
"Good"? And for all the people, including posters on this thread, who failed to gain tickets for this year? Hardly "good" for them. How can any one justify this?

(I did start a thread addressing the problem of 'it's the same people who get to go to everything' and suggesting limiting individual access as a way to combat this. So I've not just woken up grouchy and felt like a moan. And you've always seemed entirely fair, fine and groovy and stuff, but how can it be justified when so many people are left ticketless year after year?)

While I'm tempted to point the finger at a shadowy zionist conspiracy, it's way more prosaic - basically anyone who hired a tipi was given the option due to manifold issues with arrangements.

FWIW I didn't complain and didn't see what the fuss was about, but equally I leapt at the opportunity when offered by the fest - who also agreed to donate an additional £10k to WaterAid as a peace offering to the many aggrieved people.

Some people are still not happy and are demanding financial recompense, at which point I start to share your 'How can anyone justify this?' mindset.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2013, 09:34:56 AM
basically anyone who hired a tipi was given the option due to manifold issues with arrangements.

I'm sorry, I can't quite work out what that means. The tent was unstable from the top down?

Quotethe fest - who also agreed to donate an additional £10k to WaterAid as a peace offering to the many aggrieved people.

What would've happened to that £10K anyway one wonders.

QuoteSome people are still not happy and are demanding financial recompense, at which point I start to share your 'How can anyone justify this?' mindset.

I'm not entirely up to speed here. There was fault with these tents that cost over 3 months JSA to hire for a few days and despite, presumably not suffering much discomfort as a result of tent trauma, handfuls of Henrys and Henriettas aren't content with saving a few hundred extra bilharzia ridden lives and being guaranteed entrance next year, they wanted to suck the clean water back out the babies' mouths and get some hard cash for themselves on top?! FFS.

CaledonianGonzo

More to do with the inadequate lavatory facilities than the tents themselves - though, as I say, it wasn't a problem for us.

As for the additional £10k, given that all the festival's profits already go to charity presumably it's come out of some sort of float or operational budget or something.  I'm not really sure.

The most vocal complainants are people unable to attend next year, having travelled from US, Australia, etc.

Also one person's space in a tipi is two week's JSA puffy. I've never stayed on one but some people I know did this year. One of them is called Dave and works at poundland and another puts up market stalls for the council. Disgusting over-privileged cunts.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: The Always Red Society on July 09, 2013, 10:08:27 AM
Also one person's space in a tipi is two week's JSA puffy. I've never stayed on one but some people I know did this year. One of them is called Dave and works at poundland and another puts up market stalls for the council.

How'd he find the toilets?

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2013, 10:02:36 AM

The most vocal complainants are people unable to attend next year, having travelled from US, Australia, etc.

Quote from: The Always Red Society on July 09, 2013, 10:08:27 AM
Disgusting over-privileged cunts.

You said it.

I thought we'd previously had some pleasant chats about your travels round the world puffy? I have to say it didn't sound like you were working down a mine.

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: The Always Red Society on July 09, 2013, 10:38:47 AM
I thought we'd previously had some pleasant chats about your travels round the world puffy?

You've made under 180 posts, and almost all of those while I was absent from the boards. So no, I can't say we have.

QuoteI have to say it didn't sound like you were working down a mine.

Our local mine, scab central, closed in 1992. I never worked there, though the pay was undoubtedly better than anywhere I have worked.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: thepuffpastryhangman on July 09, 2013, 10:17:24 AM
How'd he find the toilets?

Presumably, like everyone else, strapped shut with hazard tape.

Beagle 2

I'd be absolutely delighted with those headliners!

CaledonianGonzo

There's still time for things to change, but eFests seems to think that for the time being those three are being lined up.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/13/130704d.shtml

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/13/130705e.shtml

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 09, 2013, 09:09:35 AM
Fleetwood Mac.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think they'd be perfect if they did it. Lots of well known songs, usually pretty dependable live, a sound that is quite zeitgeisty at the moment, and imagine if they got Peter Green up for "Oh Well"?

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 09, 2013, 04:53:59 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, I think they'd be perfect if they did it. Lots of well known songs, usually pretty dependable live, a sound that is quite zeitgeisty at the moment, and imagine if they got Peter Green up for "Oh Well"?

I'd want Man of the World personally. But that would be amazing.

El Unicornio, mang

Ah, yeah, that would be better. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house field!

Oh, and if they got Christine McVie back to sing "Songbird"...

El Unicornio, mang

Anyone watching T in the Park on BBC3? Have fond memories of being there in 95 and 96. Seems to be a lot of the same acts that were shown for the Glasto shows, but always nice to see some Haim, and a different looking crowd than Glasto.

Spiteface

Are the BBC planning to broadcast any of My Bloody Valetine's set this weekend? Would be nice to have some more pro-shot live footage of them out there...

El Unicornio, mang

I doubt it, maybe on the red button.

I've noticed there are actually black people at this. And a lot of pink people.

Artemis

I wouldn't bother going to see any of those headliners, but my intended Glasto cheery popping next year won't have much to do with the main stages; I suspect the people I'm more interested in will be found elsewhere. In that way, the more popular the main people are, the more space I'll have to wander freely.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 12, 2013, 09:58:12 PM
Anyone watching T in the Park on BBC3? Have fond memories of being there in 95 and 96. Seems to be a lot of the same acts that were shown for the Glasto shows, but always nice to see some Haim, and a different looking crowd than Glasto.

I watched some of it, yeah.

It's never really been cutting edge, but over the years I've had some fantastic times there and seen some amazing bands.

However for the past couple of years, with a few noble exceptions, you'd struggle to fit a cigarette paper between the T lineup and something like the Radio One Big Weekend or T4 On The Beach.  It's really a shadow of itself and the fact that they've been struggling to flog tickets doesn't really surprise me.

SteveDave

Dirty boy!

"Lead singer Marcus Mumford came on drums for their single Lover of the Light"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23298601

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Spiteface on July 12, 2013, 10:01:38 PM
Are the BBC planning to broadcast any of My Bloody Valetine's set this weekend? Would be nice to have some more pro-shot live footage of them out there...

Looks like these are the acts being covered, so no MBV, sadly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/egfrbp/performances/lbzj3d