Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Imported Blu-Ray/DVD Editions

Started by Angst in my Pants, October 09, 2012, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angst in my Pants

Thinking about the new Blu-Ray of Little Shop of Horrors that replies from view highlighted here, I've been thinking about Blu-Ray/DVD imports that are either better than the UK release or are simply unavailable in the UK.

I'm a big fan of the DC Comics Animated Universe, but most of their releases have two-disc editions in the US when the UK gets a one-disc edition - or often nothing at all, as is the case with their latest release Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

I've also discovered recently that Clue has been given the Blu-Ray treatment in the US, but not a whiff of it here.

What are your favourite imports? Which do you covet? Which spectacular special features do you find inexplicably missing in the UK?

phantom_power

The first one that springs to mind is The Avengers, which has a director's commentary on the US version

mcbpete

The German version of Enter The Void seems the only way you can get it on Blu Ray (to play on un-modified UK players, without any burnt on subtitles). Plus you get a nice bonus hour long documentary of Gasper Noe meeting up with Harmony Korine and buggering around Korine's hometown for 24 hours.

So good I bought it twice (well that's a lie, I had the first copy stolen by a mental)

Angst in my Pants

Oh yes, and I believe there's very slight censoring in the UK version of The Avengers.

I seem to recall that The Shining has a much longer US release, I might track that one down.

Reading the youtube comments for the Enter The Void trailer is like an episode of Adam Buxton's BUG:
Quotewhoever made this trailer must really hate epileptics
I swear i experienced new colours while watching this film.

Obel

Quote from: mcbpete on October 10, 2012, 11:08:39 AM
The German version of Enter The Void seems the only way you can get it on Blu Ray (to play on un-modified UK players, without any burnt on subtitles). Plus you get a nice bonus hour long documentary of Gasper Noe meeting up with Harmony Korine and buggering around Korine's hometown for 24 hours.

So good I bought it twice (well that's a lie, I had the first copy stolen by a mental)

Bollocks. Looks like I'll have to get the German one then. I have the French Ultimate edition but those subs are well annoying. Would like to rewatch without them

mcbpete

I bought my copies from amazon.de - It came within a week and was only about £25 including postage. Despite not knowing any German it wasn't too hard to navigate (it's pretty much exactly the same design as the UK version of the site - including being able to use your UK account details)

Consignia

I pretty much exclusively only buy non-UK DVDs and Blu-rays. Since most of stuff comes from TV, and I've been burnt horribly by some awful NTSC-PAL conversions.

Obel

For the life of me I can't get Region 1 DVD's to work on my PC. VLC bums out, the drive itself even when set to Region 1 just spins forever!

I really want to watch Wonder Showzen and Xavier :(

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on October 10, 2012, 01:34:32 PM
I seem to recall that The Shining has a much longer US release, I might track that one down.

You won't have to track for long, it's getting a 'the version you've never seen' cinema release this month, with DVD no doubt to follow. (though I personally prefer the Kubrick approved European cut)

I just bought the Criterion Collection version of Eyes Without a Face, as much because it has a nicer cover than the UK edition, but also because it was packed with clips from old TV shows and original promotional materials. It's my first Criterion import, but I fear I might become an addict.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Consignia on October 10, 2012, 03:13:59 PM
I pretty much exclusively only buy non-UK DVDs and Blu-rays. Since most of stuff comes from TV, and I've been burnt horribly by some awful NTSC-PAL conversions.

Is that still a problem with Blu-ray?  I thought they didn't bother converting them in HD as HDTVs can play any frame rate and resolution you like.

Consignia

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on October 11, 2012, 10:12:19 AM
Is that still a problem with Blu-ray?  I thought they didn't bother converting them in HD as HDTVs can play any frame rate and resolution you like.

You are correct, that's not a problem with Blu-ray. It's more like, stuff I want on Blu-ray doesn't get released over here, but I am more inclined to buy a UK release if it's on Blu-ray. It's mostly a hang over of buying habits, though.

Santa's Boyfriend

Glad to hear it!  UK studio-based shows from the 70s and 80s seem to result in some kind of horrible ghosting effect when converted to NTSC.  Glad that the US audiences may be able to see that our TV didn't look that crap.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Wet Blanket on October 10, 2012, 05:22:23 PM
I just bought the Criterion Collection version of Eyes Without a Face, as much because it has a nicer cover than the UK edition, but also because it was packed with clips from old TV shows and original promotional materials. It's my first Criterion import, but I fear I might become an addict.

It's too late for me, I've got 5 on the way (Shock Corridor, Anatomy of a Murder, Au Hasard Balthasar, La Regle Du Jeu & 8 1/2) as I type. It's the spines, the matching spines...