Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:36:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

(Too) cheap DVDs on ebay...

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 09, 2012, 08:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone ever come across an eBay seller who seems too good to be true? I found a DVD that I've been after for a while, that's normally at least 15 quid and this man/ company is offering it new, for 8 quid, with free postage from Korea. It's even the Criterion edition (not advertised as such but pictured). I'd normally avoid something like this but the seller has a feedback score of nearly nearly 30000 and I just wondered if anyone else had ever bought from someone like this.

NoSleep

Earlier today I was looking around for somewhere to buy a copy of Gilli Smyth's "Mother" LP and came across a number of Korean sites offering the album on CD. I'm guessing these are knock-offs.

holyzombiejesus

I thought that but surely you wouldn't get nearly 30,000/ 99.8% positive feedback rating by selling bootlegs?

This is the person I'm talking about. (I hope it's ok to link to them...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/DVDs-Blurays-/617/i.html?_ipg=&Genre=World%2520Cinema&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=raingel2007&_dmpt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&Sub%252DGenre=%2521&rt=nc

Lots of their DVDs have some Korean writing on the boxes pictured but the one I'm after, Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce...,  doesn't.

Neomod

I was worried but when I received my copy of Break So Bad season 5 I found my fears were unfounded. A++++

KLG-7A

please let that be real oh god please

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 09, 2012, 08:24:28 PM
Has anyone ever come across an eBay seller who seems too good to be true? I found a DVD that I've been after for a while, that's normally at least 15 quid and this man/ company is offering it new, for 8 quid, with free postage from Korea. It's even the Criterion edition (not advertised as such but pictured). I'd normally avoid something like this but the seller has a feedback score of nearly nearly 30000 and I just wondered if anyone else had ever bought from someone like this.

I've bought Korean DVDs that turned out to have Criterion transfer/extras in the past (from a long-defunct website rather than an eBay seller) and they were fine (played fine, proper pressed discs rather than DVD-Rs, etc.) How legit the DVDs are is questionable; on the one hand, Criterion have denied that official Korean versions of their DVDs exist, but on the other hand, the DVDs are often produced by major Korean DVD companies (eg. Spectrum) and it seems odd that they'd be churning out knock-offs. But yeah, the discs themselves were fine, and cheap to boot: $9 for a 2-disc set for example.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 09, 2012, 08:41:33 PM
I thought that but surely you wouldn't get nearly 30,000/ 99.8% positive feedback rating by selling bootlegs?

This is the person I'm talking about. (I hope it's ok to link to them...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/DVDs-Blurays-/617/i.html?_ipg=&Genre=World%2520Cinema&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=raingel2007&_dmpt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&Sub%252DGenre=%2521&rt=nc

Lots of their DVDs have some Korean writing on the boxes pictured but the one I'm after, Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce...,  doesn't.

I bought 2 DVDs from that very seller earlier this year.  I can't guarantee they weren't copies, but the only doubt I had (apart from the generous post-free price) was looking closely at the small print on the back cover, the type had lost a little sharpness. 
No Korean script anywhere.
Covers matched the ones on Amazon, picture quality was fine and I wasn't buying them as collectibles so I was happy enough.
They were NTSC but wouldn't play on my hacked UK region 2 player - played fine on my Mac though.
The seller had a discount for every extra DVD bought, but I was unable to apply it when processing Paypal.  Emailed the seller who apologised about the glitch and said I'd be paid back the discount via Paypal, which he did within a couple of hours.  Friendly and helpful.
DVDs arrived about 10 days later.

Hope some of that helps, although it probably leaves you no further on.  He sells a wide variety of DVDs, so I suspect their provenance may vary. 

Queneau

I got a first edition of Albert Angelo on eBay for £13 including postage. £13! The seller clearly didn't realise what they had. I expected to be seriously outbid.