Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Angry Video Game Nerd

Started by Retinend, October 09, 2012, 09:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

I've been watching a ton of AVGN videos recently and they've turned me into a big fan. Not so big that I would consider sitting through the AVGN movie but a fan nevertheless. His main talent was spotting how popular game reviews would be way ahead of anyone else and inspiring countless others to do the same. He's certainly smarter and more bearable than the vast majority that followed after him.   

The videos I prefer the most though are James and Mike Mondays where it's just them and sometimes a couple of others sitting around playing games. James does come across a lot better when he's being himself, a naturally friendly guy, and it's quite funny to watch him playing anything after about 1996 as he veers more out of his comfort zone. Reminds me more of sitting around with my mates playing games and there's a great, laidback atmosphere to them rather than trying to outriff each other constantly.

I like JonTron too but there's something slightly off putting about him. I don't think I'd want to spend long in his company in real life. Some of his videos are terrific though (Bubsy, Takeshi's Challenge, Plug n Play etc.)

Hollow

Yeah, don't watch the film, it has no redeeming qualities.

Replies From View

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 25, 2016, 02:51:45 PM
His main talent was spotting how popular game reviews would be way ahead of anyone else and inspiring countless others to do the same.

Yeah, what a fantastic legacy.

I'm happy to keep James Rolfe as long as he isn't responsible for inspiring Stuart Ashens.  If he is, they can both go in the bin thank you.

Hollow

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2016, 12:19:28 PM
Yeah, what a fantastic legacy.

I'm happy to keep James Rolfe as long as he isn't responsible for inspiring Stuart Ashens.  If he is, they can both go in the bin thank you.

Does Ashens annoy you then? i think his bootleg games system reviews are quite entertaining, Quest for the Gamechild is a 'funny' one though.

Steven

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2016, 12:19:28 PM
I'm happy to keep James Rolfe as long as he isn't responsible for inspiring Stuart Ashens.

And Charlie Brooker.

Bhazor

Every couple years I give his videos ago and strangely I like them more and more each time. First time about 5 years ago I thought he was shite, then a couple years later I watched him again and I thought he had a couple of fun lines and now on my latest viewing I'm really enjoying it. Like theres 7 rings of irony you have to get through to realise what hes doing. His non AVGN/Board James stuff though are just dull lets play and low effort vlogs though.

Bacon

^Same, session the whole lot once in a while, it's even better now as cinemassacre have put each series into a video each and you don't have to skip through the intro each time. Don't find him particularly funny, it's the games that provide the humour for me, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Where did you learn to fly?

Jontron I find highly annoying, probably because of his Billy Crystal voice.

Steven

Quote from: Bacon on March 27, 2016, 04:44:19 PM
Jontron I find highly annoying, probably because of his Chris Walken/John Travolta voice.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 25, 2016, 02:51:45 PM
The videos I prefer the most though are James and Mike Mondays

I like these too. The Sunsoft Batman playthrough is particularly good. Perfectly captures how tough and intense that game is. Those were the days lad.

Replies From View

Quote from: Hollow on March 26, 2016, 09:51:04 PM
Does Ashens annoy you then? i think his bootleg games system reviews are quite entertaining, Quest for the Gamechild is a 'funny' one though.

My views on Stuart Ashens and his tediously repetitive "sigh, this Poundland product isn't as good as the equivalent you could buy in Argos for a lot more money" sarcasm are already expressed elsewhere in this thread (or maybe a different thread; can't remember) but in short:  what a smug and unfunny knob with a very high opinion of himself and his own talents.

Bazooka

To be fair to Ashens, he started reviewing these Chinese knock off's before youtube review channels became big, but I agree the spark has worn off.

James AVGN to this day along with Mike are the go to for computer game nostalgia.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bazooka on March 29, 2016, 10:08:52 AM
To be fair to Ashens, he started reviewing these Chinese knock off's before youtube review channels became big, but I agree the spark has worn off.

Ashens didn't become shit because youtube channels became big.  He is just shit, and that's being fair to him.

Quote from: Bazooka on March 29, 2016, 10:08:52 AM
James AVGN to this day along with Mike are the go to for computer game nostalgia.

James and Mike together are good.  I'm not a fan of Mike on his own.

Harpo Speaks

Shame that they're friendly with AlphaOmegaSin. Can't stand that self-satisfied prick.

BritishHobo

AlphaOmegaSin makes me ashamed to wear a beanie.

Replies From View

I like Bootsy, especially in the earlier Board James sketches.  Once they decided that Board James was a psychopath rather than an opportunity for some creative nostalgia I went off it really.  But Bootsy is still good fun.  He sometimes pops up in the James and Mike videos to show that he still has the skill for Megadrive/SNES games that he had as a teenager, and maintains a kind of stoic, don't-fuck-with-me attitude about the games that I imagine he would have had back then too.

colacentral

Agreed on AlphaOmegaSin. He's the kind of character I associate more with Britain, the kind you see in rock / metal bars drinking ale and talking as loud and pompously as possible to ensure everyone hears their shit sarcasm. His thumbnails kept popping up on my youtube recommendations and I was sure he'd be British, I was genuinely surprised to find that Americans have that particular brand of cunt too.

Bazooka

Yeah not keen on Mike by himself, seems a bit smug or maybe just nerves. But Bootsy is worth watching because he is calm and just good at games.

BritishHobo

Quote from: colacentral on April 02, 2016, 08:57:39 PM
Agreed on AlphaOmegaSin. He's the kind of character I associate more with Britain, the kind you see in rock / metal bars drinking ale and talking as loud and pompously as possible to ensure everyone hears their shit sarcasm. His thumbnails kept popping up on my youtube recommendations and I was sure he'd be British, I was genuinely surprised to find that Americans have that particular brand of cunt too.

I've got to be honest, I've started getting obsessed with his videos. They're like someone's given a crap improv comedian a card with very vague details on a gaming scandal and told him to fill twenty minutes on the topic in the style of exactly the cunt you describe.

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 03, 2016, 12:42:48 PM
I've got to be honest, I've started getting obsessed with his videos. They're like someone's given a crap improv comedian a card with very vague details on a gaming scandal and told him to fill twenty minutes on the topic in the style of exactly the cunt you describe.

Is there anything to gain by becoming obsessed with them?

Steven

Quote from: Replies From View on April 03, 2016, 12:56:55 PM
Is there anything to gain by becoming obsessed with them?

Very fulfilling angry grudge wanks.

BritishHobo

It's not to fuel anger or investigate him or write loads of detailed posts countering his videos or anything, I just fundamentally cannot stop watching. I'm finding them really addictive.

And the wanks, of course.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on October 10, 2012, 11:19:44 AM
There was some talk a while back that Gaming Mill is a guy called Shaun Garrod, who has his own youtube channel that isn't very good (maximumpyro).  From the brief glimpses we get of Gaming Mill's arms and hands, and the fact that they share a drawing style, I'd say they could be the same.  No idea what Shaun Garrod does, though.
i know we aren't supposed to bump ancient topics, but just saw this guy passed away and this thread is nearly the top result on google when you search for him. so might close things up

https://twitter.com/mrbiffo/status/1246898036514738176

cor, ashens, eh, though

Dewt

Oh fuck man. Might deserve his own thread. I had just resubscribed to him... he was essentially Frank Sidebottom the streamer.

I even put "GamingMill Skill!" as a loading screen message in a shitty web game I had to make about eight years ago

bgmnts

Weird this thread got bumped, have found myself rewatching a lot of his old stuff.

He's not exactly hilarious but there is something about him talking about crap games with the little film-y parody bits in some videos. Good for going to sleep to as well.