Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Angry Video Game Nerd

Started by Retinend, October 09, 2012, 09:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on October 11, 2012, 08:28:32 PM
We're not talking about some high art or anything here. It's a high enough bar for James Rolfe.

Ah, so he's only good in the context of actually being quite tedious and shite, but bizarrely popular!  Got you.

NoSleep

Like others have said, the reviews are actually fairly good and interesting, regardless of the attempts at humour. The moment I picked was one where the anger appeared to come from a genuine place in his memory.

KLG-7A

Somebody make this rubbish cunt stop saying "accessory" with soft Cs.

KLG-7A

Also FUCK OFF! How many times is he going to complain that his specific items no longer work? That's not intrinsic to the items, they're just old! I had a Super Scope that worked for ten years before I threw it away!

I hate this prick!

KLG-7A

Are you posting these just because for some reason you find people being sweary about things they don't like hilarious? Are you using me to generate entertainment for you?

I think AVGN reeks of ass!
What is he, like some kind of ass?
These videos are ass!
Ass! And douche!

KLG-7A

Douche canoe!

Reviewer? More like ass!

KLG-7A

everything is going to be okay isnt it

KLG-7A

Fuck's sake, it was actually quite good towards the end.

Thursday

'Plumbers don't wear Ties' is the best episode, just because the source material is so amazing.

Replies From View IS James Rolfe and I claim my £5.

Replies From View

I'm going to take you back to the past, to play the games that are simultaneously shitty and prone to sucking arse.

KLG-7A

SNES Vs. Sega Genesis

So this is very good. He's more out of "character", and it's a much more mature style. He's likeable, interesting and most of all very funny (even if his younger self's idiocy is setting up the best comedy).

mcbpete

That's the thing, he's known for his early cursing days but it's not since the last couple of years that he's calmed down a bit and released some really great videos. I really like the ambition of the Action 52 cartridge review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4QBeADNM34

Retinend

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 13, 2012, 10:15:06 PM
SNES Vs. Sega Genesis

So this is very good. He's more out of "character", and it's a much more mature style. He's likeable, interesting and most of all very funny (even if his younger self's idiocy is setting up the best comedy).

In part 2 there is a lovely bit of audiovisual filmmaking where he compares the two styles of the consoles by comparing only clips from the soundtracks of representative games and showing in the background only a photograph of the consoles together. You find yourself attaching all sorts of symbolic meaning to the musical styles - it's a really nice viewing/listening experience.

Subtle Mocking

Well, if you're one of the many, many 'angry' internet herp-a-derp reviewers/LPers out there, you can be safe in the knowledge that there'll always be someone who's worse than you:

Adults React To Pewdiepie

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Replies From View on October 10, 2012, 10:48:03 AM
Somebody I used to like a lot was Stan Burdman, but his reviews have degenerated into AVGN-templated reactions over the last year or so.  He used to take the piss out of that stuff, but since becoming a youtube partner he's embraced exasperated exclamations of "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!!" without much difficulty.

I've just noticed this. He's friends with a friend of mine, and he randomly insulted me while I was commenting on one of her statuses and we got into a massive slanging match. He's quite a funny guy but he's also an absolute tool.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 13, 2012, 10:15:06 PM
SNES Vs. Sega Genesis

He seems a lot nerdier when he's not actually playing the nerd character.

madhair60

You know who's funny lately?  Jontron.  The recent "Nightshade" thing had me in fits.

mcbpete

They ending of that one had me gasping for air ...

KLG-7A

Finally, somebody resurrected John Candy and forced him to be funny about games.

This guy is great.

Replies From View

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 16, 2012, 01:36:30 PM
Finally, somebody resurrected John Candy and forced him to be funny about games.

This guy is great.

Link please.  Or didnae happner.

Retinend

Quote from: madhair60 on October 16, 2012, 10:16:53 AM
You know who's funny lately?  Jontron.  The recent "Nightshade" thing had me in fits.

Hm... I hated it. Maybe that means I'll be posting about how good it is in three years time.

KLG-7A

Then why do you have him as your avatar?

Retinend

In his chin's dreams.

Earn Your Beard

KLG-7A

I suppose that's an actual neckbeard.

mcbpete

Quote from: Replies From View on October 16, 2012, 02:04:39 PM
Link please.  Or didnae happner.
This is the one that was mentioned further up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7rhn3h1m0
I just love the title music of his show for some reason, it makes me nostalgic but for nothing in particular.

Replies From View

Quote from: KLG-7A on October 16, 2012, 02:42:12 PM
I suppose that's an actual neckbeard.

Fraid that's only a low chinbeard.

It's the difference between neckbread and cheeseboard.

Quote from: mcbpete on October 16, 2012, 02:43:51 PM
This is the one that was mentioned further up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq7rhn3h1m0
I just love the title music of his show for some reason, it makes me nostalgic but for nothing in particular.

Ta!  Will check it out!

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Sorry, I hated that fat, John Travolta voiced fuck. Someone who thinks loud=funny.

mcbpete

Usually I think exactly the same, but for some reason JonTron shows appeal to me. I can understand how his shows (along with his GameGrumps series) could grate with people though ...