Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:12:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirk Gently Moments

Started by Lt Plonker, February 09, 2004, 06:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lt Plonker

May as well break myself into the new board.

Holistic Detective, Dirk Gently, believed in the 'fundamental interconnectedness' of all things, i.e. that all particles in the universe are, no matter how strong or weak, connected and that pesky butterfly in China could, infact, by flapping it's wings, affect the course of a hurricane over the Atlantic.

As a result of devoting a thriving agency around this belief, Dirk found himself drawn into a bizzare array of seemingly unrelated situations that were innevitably drawn together and resolved.

Have any of you ever found yourself on the receiving end of several strange events that eventually came together to form some sort of coherent conclusion?

Have you ever felt that the universe is working against you or leading you somehwere?

Has the internet, now 'fundamentally interconnecting' us all, ever played a part in your experiences?

How far do you feel that we are all connected and do even our tiniest actions have altogether greater consequences?

If so, I'm interested.

I'm genuinley interested, by the way. Feel free to interpet this thread how you see fit and reply accordingly. I'm not sure if I've even understood the idea of 'interconnectedness', but sod it. Help me out if you want. I've got the lifejacket's on stand-by, just in case.

hencole

I once got an item of furniture lodged down a staircase for no obvious reason. No hang on a second that was in the books. It's a bit of bizzare question because theres not really anyway of knowing how much of an influence little events have over bigger ones. I suspect that every tiny thing you does contribute to the whole, but it's not something that troubles me.

hoverdonkey

I suppose it depends on how far you want to go back. When I had finished my A-Levels way back in 95 I had been accepted onto a Communications course at Bournemouth because my predicted grades were fairly average. When they turned out to be much better, the UNi phoned and asked if I wanted to enrol on the much more prestigious Journalism degree course.

I was out when they phoned but Mum, who had stayed at home to look after my little brother who was ill, was luckily at home. Bournemouth needed an answer within an hour and if Josh hadn't been ill, Mum wouldn't have been at home, I wouldn't have got the message to phone them, I wouldn't have done that degree, got the job I'm in now, met Ms Donkey etc etc etc.

So thanks for faking illness that day Josh - but if you go back further, it could have been because he had double maths that day. Which means the teachers at his school responsible for the timetable are resposonsible for me being right here right now.

I know that's not exactly what you were looking for Mr Plonker, but it's the best I can come up with at the minute

Lt Plonker

No, no this is good. I'm deeply fascinated by these 'forks' in people's lives also.

Keep them coming whores. I'm off to collect my thoughts on events so far.

Blue Jam

I originally applied to uni to study medicine, before I realised that this idea was utterly insane and I chose to study biology instead, and got caught up in the whole medics/non-medics rivalry that was a tradition at my uni. I ended up studying some medicine and surgery modules as part of my course, making friends with several medics and not referring to them as "medic scum" any more, and getting a job as a medical journalist with a medical publishing firm. I've just been sacked from that job and am now considering a career with the Royal Navy; if I get into my first choice of naval career, I'll have to take a course in medicine, for those humanitarian missions...

Do you think fate is trying to tell me something here?

A very similar thing happened to Douglas Adams- he's from a medical family and used to work in a mental hospital, and apparently he began to wonder if he'd chosen the wrong career, so my situation is a bit Dirk Gently, I suppose.