Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DVD Commentaries

Started by kidsick5000, February 09, 2004, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Ive been meaning to put this one up for a while....

Anyone here actually listen to the commentaries.  I do. My excuse being that i occasionally make short films and am fascinated by how some things are done. Im talking more of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail's use of a one room castle for everything rather than  a Clone wars- "we did that in CGI as well".

Anyway. Some commentries are great. Very entertaining,Fight Club's for example is obviously everyone having a great time, as is Pheonix Nights.
Father Teds is great for the Christmas episode with Graham Linehan shouting for it to end for the last 15mins.

But then there are those that you wonder why they bother.
Family Guy may be a brilliant cartoon, but the commentary is terrible. They seem to just be watching the cartoon like everyone else, and only remember to talk every 15mins. which would be alright but the keep the sound muted on the cartoon. And the fact that theyre desparatley trying not to mention The Simpsons.

Speaking of the yellow lot. They dont do much better. its all "werent we the first to do this?" "yeah. yeah. i think we were." "Not that Fox would care" " No. Not that Fox would care"

So any fantastic good film/good commentaries you know of? best/ worst , You know the drill.

Im not even sure im spelling commentary right.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuotePheonix Nights

I thought the second one was fucking bollocks, and was basically them sitting round having a natter wholst being recorded, with Kay occasionally checking out the screen, talking about whats happening, and then making some cheap-arse comments about asylum-seekers. That put me right off him, the cunt.

Funky Gibbon

Evil dead 2 has a great commentary with some very interesting stuff, pointing out things like the Freddy Krueger glove in the toolshed, the missing ceiling in the house, the stream of sweat pouring from the ear of Sam Raimi's brother Ted dressed as the cellar hag, and the huge split in the arse of the costume of the same.

Peking O

I find them highly tedious. I got about 10 minutes through one once, and then had to turn it of before I died of boredom. I don't want everything explained to me, that's the thing. I think a film loses some of its magic if you know all the nuts and bolts behind it.

TotalNightmare

The new Special Edition DVD of Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas is pretty fucking great.

Its got a Gilliam commentary, a Depp and Del Toro and... possibly the bestest - Hunter S Thompson, which is cool to listen to.

Also, while im hear...

Some of the Futurama ones are good, some are shit.

The Die Hard commentaries are informative, but at times, unbelievably bland.

Spaced and The League Of Gentlemen are good too.

Red Dwarf are smart!

My brain hurts!

king mob

Dog Soldiers has a great one where all involved get pissed as the film progresses.

Blade 2 is just fun as Del Toro is clearly in love with the film and it shows.

Alien 3 is interesting as it shows how a great idea can become a disaster but still be worth watching.

American Werewolf in London-The 2 main leads just sit there with some nice tales of making the film.

Theres some stinkers, Hanibal, Conan,the Lord of the Rings films, anything with George Lucas, Ali G inda House are just few that spring to mind.

terrorist

the only time I watched an 'xtra' on a DVD was one of the interviews on Crouching Tiger........and the bird has this horrible american accent (I'm not being yankist here it is horrible) and it just ruined the whole film for me.  And it was boring.  So I don't watch them anymore.

........sorry thought it might be interesting but it's not really, nor relevant, well I've written it now so here goes....

daveytaylor

As with the original poster I have been known to stick a tape in a camera and film my mates arsing about so I try to watch commentaries of films which I think will be interesting.

One thing that does piss me off is that Stephen Speilberg will not do DVD commentaries because he doesn't like them. Someone needs to shake the cunt and say, "THEY ARE NOT FOR YOU, ARE THEY?" A director commentary on Jaws would be great if he could climb out of his arse long enough.

All the Kevin Smith films have the best commentaries ever.

Quote from: "DevlinC"All the Kevin Smith films have the best commentaries ever.

I've only heard the Jay and Silent bob one, but it was brilliant.  Jay is exactly the same as he is in the films.

El Unicornio, mang

I like commentaries, but they do sometimes spoil a film. Like the Alien one, Ridley Scott talks about how when you first see the alien pod close up, it's his hands in a pair of rubber gloves inside the egg. Now, everytime I watch it 'I'm thinking "that's Ridley Scott's hands" rather than "that's a scary alien! Lumme!"
The Evil Dead and Fight Club ones are fab though, as is the Seven one. In fact, Brad Pitt in general is a surprisingly good commentary bloke, lots of wit and humour.

I love commentaries! Love em.

Cabin Fever had no fewer than 5 commentaries and I listen to them all, the director is hilarious, he entertained me no end, more so than the actual movie.

Father Teds commentaries are great fun.

The League Of Gentlemen's commentaries are as luvvie as you get!

John Carpenter gives good commentary.

:D C O M M E N T A R I E S !

Lt Plonker

I enjoy the Marion & Geoff commentary. It's informative and very amusing at times. It's the one I always return to listen to and not tire of it.

MonkeyDrummer

surprised no one has mentioned the Partridge commentaries. I thought the first series comentaries were excellent, both from Alan & Lynn's and Coogan/Ianucci/Baynham's. The second dvd commentary is not bad, Coogan could've bothered his arse to turn up though.

splattermac

Spaced was interesting whoever said that,

mine would be Paul McGann (I) and Ralph Brown (Danny) doing the Withnail & I one, very loving and interesting it is too.

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"The second dvd commentary is not bad, Coogan could've bothered his arse to turn up though.

Wasn't he filming in LA at the time?

Mr Flunchy

The Lord of the Rings commentaries are generally pretty good.  It's interesting to hear a commentary to a really bad film though, you can try and work out if the director knows his film is shit.

twatloops

Surely My Wrongs must be up there as a prime example of wasted opportunity.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "splattermac"Spaced was interesting whoever said that,

mine would be Paul McGann (I) and Ralph Brown (Danny) doing the Withnail & I one, very loving and interesting it is too.

Yes, that is a good one, I've actually listened to it twice, it's so good. Shame Grant and Robinson couldn't contribute to it though

Darrell

Quote from: "MonkeyDrummer"The second dvd commentary is not bad, Coogan could've bothered his arse to turn up though.

He's on the last two episodes actually...

TotalNightmare

Supposedly, it was a timing and schedualing thing with the Mr Coogan's commentary devotion.

now, THAT was a fucking bad sentence.

Has anyone seen the trailer for 80 Days around the World?

Interesting....

king mob

Quote from: "twatloops"Surely My Wrongs must be up there as a prime example of wasted opportunity.

Not as much of a waste as the Bowling for Columbine one, a bunch of students going "oohh thats cooooooollll " all the bloody time.

thatmuch

Quote from: "Peking O"I find them highly tedious. I got about 10 minutes through one once, and then had to turn it of before I died of boredom. I don't want everything explained to me, that's the thing.

Neither do I. It's today's insatiable appetite for information, information.

Though the first commentary I heard was the one about dogs on 'My Wrongs', which was very funny. I wish they could all be like that.

twatloops

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "twatloops"Surely My Wrongs must be up there as a prime example of wasted opportunity.

Not as much of a waste as the Bowling for Columbine one, a bunch of students going "oohh thats cooooooollll " all the bloody time.

I generally don't listen to them so was quite surprised when you say columbine has one.  It almost made me listen to it until I realised I was made aware of it by you saying how shit it is.  Marvellous. Full circle without moving a muscle.

twatloops

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
Has anyone seen the trailer for 80 Days around the World?

Interesting....

Looks a bit ropey to me.  Coogan looks more suited to small screen stuff.  I can't say why but he just came across as uncomfortable in the trailer.

A bit extreme to base a judgement like that on a trailer but that's what they're there for.

Capuchin

Quote from: "DevlinC"All the Kevin Smith films have the best commentaries ever.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with that. They're the reason I can't hate Ben Affleck.

king mob

Quote from: "twatloops"
Quote from: "king mob"

I generally don't listen to them so was quite surprised when you say columbine has one.  It almost made me listen to it until I realised I was made aware of it by you saying how shit it is.  Marvellous. Full circle without moving a muscle.

The Columbine & My Wrongs commentaries are good examples of ones that are just ill conceived crap with no input from the actual creators in an attempt to fill out the extras.
Columbine pips My Wrongs for sheer awfulness though.

As for good ones

24 Hour Party People

Last House on the Left

Aliens

Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Salvador

Theres loads of really good ones to wade through just have patience.

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"

Wasn't he filming in LA at the time?

Probably, well they could have altered the schedule. I just meant the commentary could have been more complete instead of the, "oh steve's too busy at the start". fucking arse

kidsick5000

Has anynyone heard any commentaries for really old films by critics and academics etc? Ive got the "Once upon a time in the West" with people like alex cox etc. Not listened to it yet. could be interesting, then again...

As a general rule, the more honest commentaries are better.  Kevin Smith lamenting his choice of  Linda Fiorentino in Dogma is great for some reason. as is the previously mentioned Father Ted Chrismas Special. The creators saying how much they hated something, why it works now, not then.

That said, Id love to hear something LXG where everyone is trying to put a brave face on what is essentially a pile of misguided turd.

king mob

Quote from: "kidsick5000"

That said, Id love to hear something LXG where everyone is trying to put a brave face on what is essentially a pile of misguided turd.

Oh its a stinker & a half & i cant wait for the commentary-"I'm reaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy sorry,sorry, i'm sorry please forgive me.Dont kill me in the street, i directed Blade that wasnt bad, i know the films shit, please dont hit me" etc...