Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,484
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:32:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

DVD Commentaries

Started by kidsick5000, February 09, 2004, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpants

The Fight Club one is good but it bugs me that you can tell the Helena Bonham-Carter wasn't recorded at the same time as the rest of the guys.  Still good though.

QuoteHas anynyone heard any commentaries for really old films by critics and academics etc? Ive got the "Once upon a time in the West" with people like alex cox etc. Not listened to it yet. could be interesting, then again...

I love the commentaries by Bey Logan on the Hong Kong Legends releases.  He does all the Bruce Lee films and a whole bunch of other ones.  If I find an old Hong Kong film which I haven't heard of before and he's doing the commentary, I normally buy it for that reason alone.

Peking O

How do you people get time for all this? I barely have enough time to see all the movies I want to watch, never mind listening to some director prattling on about a dolly that's just out of shot, look there it is, you can just about make it out if you freezeframe, etc. etc.

Lt Plonker

The Looney Tunes Golden Collection has an absurd amount of commentaries and features on it. For cartoons that were made 60-odd years ago, it's quite remarkable.

It's also remarkable that One Froggy Evening isn't on there.

king mob

Quote from: "Lt Plonker"The Looney Tunes Golden Collection has an absurd amount of commentaries and features on it. For cartoons that were made 60-odd years ago, it's quite remarkable.

It's also remarkable that One Froggy Evening isn't on there.

Try looking for the French version, its a chunky massive box set selling for about € 80 when i saw it  it Paris, it seems to be very complete compared with the U.K version.

elderford

mrpants Bey Logan's commentaries are phenomenal, he is a dr factus of HK cinema.

I find his commentaries literally draining with the amount of information he packs in.

"Here on the screen with Jackie Chan is Yu Tang Li, who of course originally began acting in 1973 HK TV 'My Yong' Hospital drama, which in its 23 episode run featured a guest performance by CHow Yun Fat, who is incidentially a cousin of Yu Tang Li, cantonese for walking slipper, and both of whom were present at the marriage of Michelle Yeoh to film producer Young Mo, who of course also co-owned the Golden Harvest film company, whose former film lot is now a block of apartments. Young Mo's younger brother starred opposite Jackie Chan in Battle Creek Brawl, but never became a star in his own right."

...etc for two hours

Fight Club
Interestingly enough, I believe Region 1 features author Chuck Palahniuk and not Bonham, whereas Region 2 is the opposite. So that might explain why she isn't with the boys.

chand

Yeah, I enjoyed the Kevin Smith ones. The 'Dogma' DVDs I've seen don't appear to have commentaries though, was it just region 1 or was there some kind of special edition you can't get any more?

Anyway, Spaced ones are definitely good, as is Father Ted, which is surprising when it's just one guy. The Red Dwarf ones are interesting and often funny, although in many cases they seem to have an obsession with describing what's going on with people's hairstyles.

No-one seems to have mentioned Black Books though, which I thought had a great commentary.

mrpants

Quote from: "elderford"
"Here on the screen with Jackie Chan is Yu Tang Li, who of course originally began acting in 1973 HK TV 'My Yong' Hospital drama, which in its 23 episode run featured a guest performance by CHow Yun Fat, who is incidentially a cousin of Yu Tang Li, cantonese for walking slipper, and both of whom were present at the marriage of Michelle Yeoh to film producer Young Mo, who of course also co-owned the Golden Harvest film company, whose former film lot is now a block of apartments. Young Mo's younger brother starred opposite Jackie Chan in Battle Creek Brawl, but never became a star in his own right."

...etc for two hours

Ha!  That had me laughing a lot.  I can imagine him saying all that with his strange english accent.  Like how he would say 'liddle' instead of little.  Odd.

elderford

chand, Dogma is now available in the redux and lux version with commentary and 100mins of deleted for around £15.00 (HMV), the cheapy one with the blue cover was the usual region 2 effort sans commentary.

There is a collectors double disc, but it's region 1.

bill hicks

Quote from: "mrpants"

...etc for two hours

Ha!  That had me laughing a lot.  I can imagine him saying all that with his strange english accent.  Like how he would say 'liddle' instead of little.  Odd.

I find it get's a little annoying listening to him after a while actually. That accent annoys me too much. Although I do love his commentary for Ichi The Killer, mainly because he seems to know dick about Japanese Video Cinema and so talks about how the funding came about etc. Much more interesting. It does prove he's human at least when he keeps mispronouncing Japanese names.

Purple Tentacle

This is Spinal Tap has a great commentary, about the only "in character" commentary I can think of that isn't shit. Lots of amusing epilogues.

FIght Club remains my favourite, although I really like the cast commentaries on Babylon 5..... taking the piss all the way through, which is great in a series that dissappears up its own arse from time to time.

"Oh look, here I am having an argument with a juke-box."

"Why doesn't my agent call any more?"

Se7en has the most frustrating commentary however, boring Morgan obviously wasn't sitting with Pitt and Fincher, and insists on waffling on about his fucking theatre career through all the choicest mooments.

elderford

Quoteabout the only "in character" commentary I can think

I've just rented the first series of I'm Alan Partridge, which appears to have a commentary track by Alan and his agent on it (as well another one with Coogan and Iannucci).

Clerks: The Animated Series, has an interesting one in that Kevin Smith and regulars spend most of it slating the TV network that commissioned and then killed the show after broadcasting just one episode.

Kevin Smith films usually have quite good ensemble commentaries, Smith being quite good with supplying script, directing anecdotes as well as funny stories, as well as a healthy piss taking between him and Affleck, and Jay being Jay.

jutl

Clerks: The Animated Series, has an interesting one in that Kevin Smith and regulars spend most of it slating the TV network that commissioned and then killed the show after broadcasting just one episode.

My view of that commentary was that it was a load of humourless whining from a group of semi-talented egotists who refused to acknowledge the obvious averageness of the series they had produced. It really began to grate on me after a few minutes - all the 'how could they keep Family Guy and cancel us?' headshaking... I mean - it's obvious why - stop deluding yourself you tubby cunt.

Purple Tentacle

I haven't mentioned Kevin Smith once in this thread, and I think that's very restrained.

I'd like to see PLC do the same in a thread about the Stereophonics....

elderford

I'd be tempted to start a Kevin Smith thread on Comedy Chat, but I suspect I would be beaten like a rat in a wastepaper bin.

Quote from: "elderford"chand, Dogma is now available in the redux and lux version with commentary and 100mins of deleted for around £15.00 (HMV), the cheapy one with the blue cover was the usual region 2 effort sans commentary.

Erm... don't know what shops you;re looking in elderford but Region 2 doesn't have a decent Dogma DVD. There's been a recent re-release of Mallrats with the American bonuses though.

The Region 1 Dogma release is the only one currently available with any worthwhile bonus features.

bill hicks

Quote from: "DevlinC"
Quote from: "elderford"chand, Dogma is now available in the redux and lux version with commentary and 100mins of deleted for around £15.00 (HMV), the cheapy one with the blue cover was the usual region 2 effort sans commentary.

Erm... don't know what shops you;re looking in elderford but Region 2 doesn't have a decent Dogma DVD. There's been a recent re-release of Mallrats with the American bonuses though.

The Region 1 Dogma release is the only one currently available with any worthwhile bonus features.

Shame they didn't add a worthwhile fucking film to the package though.

king mob

Quote from: "kidsick5000"Has anynyone heard any commentaries for really old films by critics and academics etc? Ive got the "Once upon a time in the West" with people like alex cox etc. Not listened to it yet. could be interesting, then again...

Managed to catch up with the Once Upon a Time in the West commentary & its really quite good,John Carpenter gives a stunning commentary among others but its Carpenter who shines.
Listen to his Commentary for They Live, its a great commentary & its nice to listen to someone who actually likes his films.

european son

Quote from: "jutl"
all the 'how could they keep Family Guy and cancel us?

fuck, they didn't say that, did they?

jesus. my feelings on Clerks: The Animated Series were made clear on the last board, but to repeat: it's fucking terrible. it's so bad its nearly as bad as the humourless piece of shit that is Chasing Amy.

i can only imagine the commentary to that

all the "how can all these people like Some Like It Hot but think that this is wank"

and i really fucking loved Clerks,  find Dogma watchable, can sit through Mallrats and even laughed in .... Strike Back

kidsick5000

Quote from: "elderford"Fight Club
Interestingly enough, I believe Region 1 features author Chuck Palahniuk and not Bonham, whereas Region 2 is the opposite. So that might explain why she isn't with the boys.

The R1 has a load of commentaries.
Fincher and Palahniuk, Fincher  and Pitt and Norton, and of course Pitt, Norton and Bonham-Carter somewhere in London. Im sure theres afew more, but cant remember off the top of my head.

All of Kevin Smith's films are excellent for what they are, especially Dogma. Clerks: TAS really suffered from being censored due to being on TV during Prime Time but had it's moments.

european son

Quote from: "DevlinC"All of Kevin Smith's films are excellent for what they are, especially Dogma. Clerks: TAS really suffered from being censored due to being on TV during Prime Time but had it's moments.

Dogma does come in for an unfair kicking, but Chasing Amy is a joyless peice of shit. i'm sorry, it just is. Animated Clerks had the enjoyable last episode, but was still piss-weak, and considering the brilliance of the Simpsons, FG and SP, the censorhip had nothing to do with it.

Quote from: "european son"Dogma does come in for an unfair kicking

True.

QuoteChasing Amy is a joyless peice of shit. i'm sorry, it just is.

Wrong.

QuoteAnimated Clerks had the enjoyable last episode, but was still piss-weak, and considering the brilliance of the Simpsons, FG and SP, the censorhip had nothing to do with it.

I thought the 4th episode with Judge Reinhold was fantastic all the way through, and all the episodes had their moments, but I think considering the characters being used, censorship did hurt it. The vulgarity is part of the whole Clerks thing and for it to try to become more of a family show kind of felt wrong.

... someone should start a Kevin Smith thread in Comedy Chat. I would but I get the feeling that if there was a dedicated thread it wouldn't be used.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "DevlinC"
QuoteChasing Amy is a joyless peice of shit. i'm sorry, it just is.

Wrong.

You are wrong.

I wish the archives hadn't been wiped because there was an excellent heart-torn rant I posted just after Ms_fucking_Tentacle made me watch that film.

I can honestly say it is possibly the most joyless, unpleasent, irritating and arrogant film I've ever, ever, ever had the misfortune to have beamed into my struggling eyes.

Chasing Amy is a fucking disaster, I have my theories as to the sort of people who like this film but I'll keep them to myself I think!

The directors commentary on Cabin Fever is a lot of fun, he's self obsessed to the point of hilarity, at one stage ringing his parents up to ask them whether they always knew he was going to make it big in hollywood!

Sam

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Chasing Amy is a fucking disaster, I have my theories as to the sort of people who like this film but I'll keep them to myself I think!

Are you referring to the people who love the film because they can identify with the scene where Ben Affleck tells the lesbo he loves her? I know it's a cliche but I am not afraid to say I like it because I've been in that kind of situation. I know that scene (and film) is a bit push-buttom "Look! We've put your lives onto the screen" but I'm still a sucker for it.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Sam"
Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Chasing Amy is a fucking disaster, I have my theories as to the sort of people who like this film but I'll keep them to myself I think!

...... I like it because I've been in that kind of situation.

Did said lesbo have an addiction to helium?

Bill Oddie

I bought one of those DVDs with a commentary the other day, the film was about some lad who lost his sledge and went off to run a newspaper.

Has anyone else listened to the commentary on this particular film and if so is it the sort of worthy and deeply insightful commentary that a film such as this deserves?

Capuchin

What's the theory?
I love it because of Jason Lee as Banky.

butnut

Quote from: "Bill Oddie"I bought one of those DVDs with a commentary the other day, the film was about some lad who lost his sledge and went off to run a newspaper.

You should start a 'worst possible descriptions for really good films' thread - that's a classic!

Quote from: "Capuchin"

What's the theory?
I love it because of Jason Lee as Banky.

Indeed, why the hostility towards it, especially from Purple Tentacle. What is it about Kevin Smith that you hate so much?

EDIT: http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12173#12173 I started a thread over in comedy chat, so this thread can get back on topic so reply in there.