Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What’s up, Holmes? (Elementary, new show)

Started by Ignatius_S, October 18, 2012, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panbaams

I'd assumed that the way they were going was that Moriarty was
Spoiler alert
Holmes' father
[close]
. (Pure speculation, but spoilered anyway.)

HappyTree

Finally up to date with the episodes. I really like this, I think I like it more than Moffatt's Sherlock, if only because there's more of it to watch. I find the 2 lead characters very engaging. Sick Boy's Sherlock is actually human and does not have psychic powers. Only negative really is the police chief who remains as wooden as something made entirely of wood.

Jim_MacLaine

I think it's just you and me watching this hokum now Happy Tree.

kidsick5000

They could do with throwing in another blast Moriarty soon. Their version does appear to be more of a psychopath than a master criminal though that could change.

Lucy Liu is rather ace. I very much like this idea of mentoring her into another consultant rather than leaving her a Girl Friday

Jemble Fred

Quote from: HappyTree on April 10, 2013, 09:04:25 PM
Finally up to date with the episodes. I really like this, I think I like it more than Moffatt's Sherlock, if only because there's more of it to watch.

That is perhaps the most depressingly insane reason for liking any form of entertainment I have ever heard. For someone to voluntarily admit to placing quantity over quality like that is quite breathtaking.

The Roofdog

My favourite people are Chinese people because there's more of them to love. Fiji can fuck right off.

Jemble Fred

Life's too short to sit slack-jawed in front of endless US TV marathons. By rights this series would have been better as a five-minute short. Perhaps a cartoon.

Jim_MacLaine

What the fuck! I've got to wait until the 25th for the next episode!

Thanks Jemble Fred. I Blame YOU.

HappyTree

Quote from: Jemble Fred on April 11, 2013, 09:40:49 AM
That is perhaps the most depressingly insane reason for liking any form of entertainment I have ever heard. For someone to voluntarily admit to placing quantity over quality like that is quite breathtaking.
Well it was a bit of a jokey, offhand comment that was more directed at the lack and infrequency of Moffatt's show than anything else. And in one way it is easier to like something that exists over something that doesn't really. But if it really upsets you then you can skip over all mention of it and just read how I like the show for all the other reasons I mentioned.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 01, 2012, 11:34:41 AM
Do they not even have a Miss Hudson? What a load of ballacks.

Just catching up and can confirm that they do indeed have a Miss Hudson!
Spoiler alert
Although you failed to predict, rather disappointingly, that she was formerly a Mr. Hudson.
[close]

Mildly Diverting

Rather weird, that one.
Spoiler alert
The pacemaker story was identical to the shark jumping episode of Homeland and both episodes featured F. Murray Abraham. That's one hell of a coincidence seeing that the broadcasts were about six months apart. That Salieri's a devious bugger,
[close]

Buelligan

I've just watched these back-to-back and I think they're vastly preferable to Sherlock. 

I liked Sherlock a lot but found the Minority Report-style finger-waving irritating and the Hound of the Baskervilles episode was embarassingly creaky (IMO).  I think Benedict Cumberbatch is great but Sick Boy wipes the floor with him in the Sherlock role and Lucy Liu makes a far more interesting Watson than Frodo.  So there.

Jim_MacLaine

So Moriarty is
Spoiler alert
Margaery Tyrell.
[close]
Thankfully not as cartoon as the ham hock that is Andrew Scott.

HappyTree

Finished the series now. It ended up being absolutely brilliant. The warmth between Watson & Homes was very moving and the twist was nicely twisty enough to surprise even in a show that encourages, nay, begs you to expect the unexpected. Does indeed make Moffat's Moriarty look a bit rubbish.

I like both shows but yeah this one is better as well as there being more of it. Win-win :-D

kidsick5000

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on May 17, 2013, 02:26:18 PM
So Moriarty is
Spoiler alert
Margaery Tyrell.
[close]
Thankfully not as cartoon as the ham hock that is Andrew Scott.

Bloody good move on their part.
Really enjoyed this series. Hope it gets renewed

Melodichaze

I'm with you HappyT, I've found Elementary to be great fun, very enjoyable throughout.
I'm a big fan of 'Sherlock' but I definitely feel Miller makes a much more believable modern day Holmes. Love the dynamic between him and Liu too - 'Sherlock' definitely lacked a strong female presence (Irene doesn't count)..

I'll continue to watch both with much gusto (...and massively perv on both Sherlocks)

Ferris

What the hell, I'll bump this outta nowhere.

Started watching this when staying up late feeding Ferris Jr. because it's turned up on amazon prime. It's great - the leads are excellent, the episodes are self-contained, and the solution is usually telegraphed enough that I can guess it halfway through (in between holding a baby and turning the sound down to essentially zero).

It's not Jeremy Brett, but has the advantage of not completely disappearing up its own arse à la The Case of Sherlock Cumberbatch And His Exploding Front Room. The cops are straight out of central casting which is also fun. They say things like "I'm takin' you off the case!" and "you're a loose cannon!"

It won't please everyone at the Conan Doyle Integrity Protection League, but I'm well into it now. Nearly finished season 3 and read there are 7 in total. Result!

PS - you can play the game of guessing who will die next. If a characer is introduced without speaking (ie we see a photo or video footage of them as the main suspect), they are always dead when our dynamic duo goes to interview them. Literally (not figuratively) always. I'm assuming it is so they don't have to pay them for a speaking role.

surreal

"Elementary" is pretty much my favourite TV show at the moment, I've watched it through a couple of times now.  Just waiting for the final season of 13 which means they'll get a proper ending - last episode of S6 could have stood as a series ender, but I'm glad they get to do it on their own terms and hopefully manage to do a great adaptation of "The Final Problem".  I believe there is a character going to be called Reichenbach this season, so it looks like it will all be leading up to that.

phantom_power

Elementary is really good light entertainment. Doesn't require much thought or emotional investment. Doesn't leave you drained or puzzled at the end of an episode. It ranks with Burn Notice for me as great modern episodic TV like what they used to make

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 18, 2012, 12:10:42 PM
It's like watching a drab police procedural starring Derren Brown, but not as good as that sounds.

That could just as easily describe Jonathan Creek.

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
That could just as easily describe Jonathan Creek.

I also love Jonathan Creek and won't hear a word said against it/him.

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2019, 12:58:40 AM

Started watching this when staying up late feeding Ferris Jr. because it's turned up on amazon prime. It's great - the leads are excellent, the episodes are self-contained, and the solution is usually telegraphed enough that I can guess it halfway through (in between holding a baby and turning the sound down to essentially zero) [...]

Thanks for pointing this out. I always forget to look on Prime and in the past really enjoyed Elementary. Doesn't matter that I prefer it to Sherlock either way.

Will read the rest of the thread and get back into this then offer insight.

From memory  once it gets going JLM and Lucy Liu are great in their roles. All the other actors are interchangeable but who cares?

phantom_power

It doesn't appear to be on my Prime. Are you in the UK?

paruses

Ferris is in Canada - I am assuming.

Just had a look on .co.uk (but from Ireland) and it all looks to be Available to Buy.

Oh well.

Ferris

Yup, I'm in Toronto.

Without wanting to demean the source material, I would have thought this was exactly the sort of show that would be syndicated anywhere they would take it. I suppose I am wrong.

gib

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2019, 12:58:40 AM

Started watching this when staying up late feeding Ferris Jr. because it's turned up on amazon prime. It's great - the leads are excellent, the episodes are self-contained, and the solution is usually telegraphed enough that I can guess it halfway through (in between holding a baby and turning the sound down to essentially zero).

It's not Jeremy Brett, but has the advantage of not completely disappearing up its own arse à la The Case of Sherlock Cumberbatch And His Exploding Front Room. The cops are straight out of central casting which is also fun. They say things like "I'm takin' you off the case!" and "you're a loose cannon!"

It won't please everyone at the Conan Doyle Integrity Protection League, but I'm well into it now. Nearly finished season 3 and read there are 7 in total. Result!

PS - you can play the game of guessing who will die next. If a characer is introduced without speaking (ie we see a photo or video footage of them as the main suspect), they are always dead when our dynamic duo goes to interview them. Literally (not figuratively) always. I'm assuming it is so they don't have to pay them for a speaking role.

I'll bump it gain to say i agree with you and every point you made. It's just so easy to watch.

phantom_power

Jonny Lee Miller is Sherlock via Rik Mayall and all the better for that. I love his performance and it pretty much keeps me watching through the more boring/trad bits of the show

Ferris

I've not watched it since the nipper was very tiny and my brain recovered from being mush, but if we have another one I'll be straight back into this.