Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Apocalypse' from Derren Brown (New C4 special)

Started by Artemis, October 20, 2012, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Just spotted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z-SSsBA2k0

So Derren Brown is back with another special. I dearly hope it's better than his recent efforts, which have been misleading, patronising and crap. His earlier specials were brilliant; shows like Messiah and The Heist were genuinely interesting and insightful television. But the 'reveal' for 'The System' was anti-climatic and ever since 'The Events', he's been unimpressive (if you don't count the live stuff, which is consistently amazing.)

Could this be a return to form? The glossy trailer doesn't fill me with hope. He needs to get back to basics and remind us all why we were initially so intrigued by him, instead of playing the part of 'Derren Brown'. I'm dreading the final reveal to the subject in which Brown ratchets up the emotion by revealing the victim's family and friends are actually still alive. Brown will clasp his hands to his mouth as if praying, then tell the subject he's been the best contestant he's ever had.

Please let's not go down that tacky route. Let the subject kill himself or something, or at least end the show without resolution. Anything but that fast-becoming-familiar ending televising a connection between a joyous Brown and a slightly bemused subject that nobody watching really connected with. Every time these things end these days, I half expect confetti to fall over the crowds, each one with a picture of Brown's face on it, looking sinister.