Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII due in 2015

Started by El Unicornio, mang, October 30, 2012, 08:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edley

It will probably be shit, but the "probably" part of that statement is a step up from anything Lucas has touched for decades.

El Unicornio, mang

I think it will work out. Disney can deliver very high quality (and they're not going to cut any corners with this franchise), and they bought Marvel and got good results. Plus less involvement from Lucas and co. can only be a good thing.

Glebe

Whhhhaaat?! I thought the last half of the thread title was a sarcastic joke. Well, so much for Lucas protecting his baby.

*thinks about doing a mong of c3po with Mickey Mouse ears then doesn't bother*

BlodwynPig

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Neomod

Probably the best thing for the franchise to be out of Lucas's hands.

It'll be a 'The Black Hole' for the 21st century.

Hopefully we're now a lot closer to seeing a digitally restored commercial release of the Holiday Special. Lucas's treatment of it has led many to believe that it's not canon, but it absolutely is and it should take its rightful place in future boxsets.

Jemble Fred

It's weird to think that there's never, to my knowledge, been a Star Wars theme park. Until 2019 or as soon as they can get it chucked together...

Neomod

Well Lucas has worked with Disney in the past theme park ride wise on Star Tours (shit) and Indiana Jones (good) at the Disneyland parks so it wouldn't surprise me if they do something together in the future, especially now.

mobias

If Lucas is only doing the story and bugger all else then its got potential to be reasonably good. The Strar Trek reboot proved that in the right hands it is possible to do these things well. Han Solo and Luke Skywalker and the other characters could be cast to other actors and still have it work I think. Star Trek proved that.   

El Unicornio, mang

They also now own Indy, so we might get a decent one of those eventually too.

vrailaine

I presume it's mostly to do with not having to split the thing between his kids when he dies or whatever. Possibly also realised that he's wasted decades in an editing room making absolute shit of his old films and wants to do something better before he dies.

Kinda expect the Disney Star Wars film to be good.
Kinda assume there's some kind of issues regarding Indiana Jones without Spielberg?
Kinda presume LucasArts won't return to making brilliant adventure games, but Disney might try to find some uses for their characters?

Jemble Fred

The Temple of Doom ride at Disneyland Paris is fucking woeful: an hour's queuing through fake jungle looking at old tents followes by one minute of ricketty rollercoaster mediocrity.

Neomod

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2012, 10:16:31 PM
The Temple of Doom ride at Disneyland Paris is fucking woeful: an hour's queuing through fake jungle looking at old tents followes by one minute of ricketty rollercoaster mediocrity.

I was talking about the ride at the Anaheim original.

spock rogers

Star Wars: Armageddon (2015). Directed by Michael Bay.
Starring Shia Lebeouf as Han Solo,
Will Smith as Lando Calrissian,
Mark Wahlberg as Luke Skywalker,
Rihanna as Princess Leia,
Ken Jeong as C3PO,
Martin Lawrence as the voice of R2D2.

mobias

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2012, 10:16:31 PM

To be fair that sums up every Disney ride I've ever been on.

Replies From View

QuoteIn conjunction with the news, Disney also revealed that plans for a seventh "Star Wars" film, "Star Wars: Episode VII," are in motion with eyes on theatrical release in 2015.

During a conference call announcing the merger, it was reported that Disney executives said they wanted to release an "Episode VII" and "Episode IX" as well. The films would ideally reach theaters every two or three years.

It'll be confusing to have two episode sevens and no episode eight - but what the hey!

Santa's Boyfriend

I'm fine with it.  The prequels already buried the series really, whatever they come up with it can't do much more damage.  Even if they're any good I'd be genuinely amazed if they came close to the awesomeness of this fan movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBM2ZfncoU

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on October 30, 2012, 10:47:42 PM
It'll be confusing to have two episode sevens and no episode eight - but what the hey!

Doug Naylor's apparently been put in charge of the numbering.

Blumf

Well, that'll be all the fan edits and fiction buggered then.

thugler

Quote from: mobias on October 30, 2012, 10:06:05 PM
If Lucas is only doing the story and bugger all else then its got potential to be reasonably good.

Sorry, when was the story of the prequels ever less than terrible?

kitsofan34

Goofy Darth Vader's my favourite part of the picture.

non capisco

Quote from: thugler on October 30, 2012, 11:29:47 PM

We should make it about a trade embargo! Kids love those!

mobias

Quote from: thugler on October 30, 2012, 11:29:47 PM

I'm not sure I have ever had a partuluar problem with the story line of the prequels. The dialogue is terrible, the acting is terrible and the directing is terrible. The storyline is by the numbers but in someone elses hands it could have been handled a lot better. Lucas wrote the storyline to Empire Strikes Back and most people don't have a problem with it because esle where the film was handled really well.

Had Lucas come up with the story line of the preqels as they are but handed the script and directing over to someone else you would have had much much better movies (obviously)

Hank Venture

Quote from: spock rogers on October 30, 2012, 10:21:35 PM
Star Wars: Armageddon (2015). Directed by Michael Bay.
Starring Shia Lebeouf as Han Solo,
Will Smith as Lando Calrissian,
Mark Wahlberg as Luke Skywalker,
Rihanna as Princess Leia,
Ken Jeong as C3PO,
Martin Lawrence as the voice of R2D2.
Andy Serkis as Chewbacca. Or is he dead? Could never get through any of the films.