Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your imaginary act's 1st album cover

Started by Brundle-Fly, November 06, 2012, 08:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Not everyone can Wimbleshop or can even strum/program a note, but what image did you desire for your imaginary debut album cover?

For a while, I wanted this image. (Probably, already used on some 80's retro surf album)

Gulftastic

I am in two imaginary bands. One is called 'Northern Xposure' and was formed on a trip to France when a group photo turned out to look like a fantastic 80's album cover for our debut 'Paris Nights'. Sadly I don't have the photo

The cover of our second album, 'Standing On The Shoulders Of Christ', would see us stood on the steps leading up to Girona Cathedral.

The other band, formed on a trip to Scotland and based upon a mishearing of the phrase 'Hibs or Hearts', is called 'Indoor Arse' and is a punk/new wave outfit. The album cover was to feature a girl looking out of a window on the front, and on the back the reverse shot revealing her naked arse.

BlodwynPig

Skewed Cunt - Cunt (Part 1), "A Neo-Prog masterpiece" The Sun

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 06, 2012, 08:32:29 PM
I am in two imaginary bands. One is called 'Northern Xposure' and was formed on a trip to France.

My imaginary band in 1983.

Recluse An electronic mutoid ska jazz band in thrall of Universal horror films.

KLG-7B

KLG-7B

And the cocks are cumming on the other cocks.

KLG-7B

It would be an album to teach kids their ABCs.

KLG-7B

A bit like Here Come The ABCs, but it would be BBCs instead.

Brundle-Fly

KLG-7B

Johnny Yesno

KLG-7B

Brundle-Fly

DukeDeMondo

Lovely thread, this.

A good chunk of my life has been spent thinking up album covers for records by bands that I will never form. The first might've been when I was 9 or 10 years old. The band were to be called Young Offenders, on account of me being pure young, and causing wicked offence with me metals. Also my "bandmate," Gavin from up the road, was right young also. 7 or 8. He didn't play an instrument but his da had an old car in the back yard that I could sit behind the wheel of, imagining that I was driving to meet Shannen Doherty, who was going to let me see her diddies. This was because she was my girlfriend, and I was a member of Young Offenders, the most show-me-your-diddies-est of all the pre-pubescent metal bands kicking around the market towns of County Antrim at the time.

Many covers were devised. Some I would slot into cassette cases as replacements for the sleeves of singles I'd grown bored of - Mr Loverman by Shabba Ranks was for years hidden behind the cover of a prospective Young Offenders album called "Why?." The cover of "Why?" was a big marijuana leaf with a wild hoor of an X cut through it. This was on account of the drugs crisis, which worried my 10 year old self something shocking.

Aside from that, the one I remember most vividly was the cover of the self titled debut, which featured the band "mascot" - a skeletal fellow based on the version of Eddie that features on the cover of The Trooper, with a touch of the boyo in the military garb off some of the S.O.D albums - clambering up over the railings of an infant's cot brandishing a great prize of an assault rifle. I think he was smoking too (not them drugs, but). Oh God there was no end to the offending.

Anyway Young Offenders died a death when I started thinking I maybe fancied Star out Lost Boys more than I fancied Shannen Doherty.

Neville Chamberlain

buttgammon

As a weirdo dreamer and music obsessive, this is a brilliant thread. It reminds me of a brilliant 'create a random album cover' one from a few years back.

In spite of the fact that I've only ever been in one band and they didn't last long enough to even have a name (though I have made a few bits and bobs on my own which have been surreptiously placed in mixtapes aimed at friends), I've constantly had fantasy bands which I've been in. Things really got out of hand when, aged about 15, I 'formed' a band which was originally called Ostia Antica and played hardcore punk stuff. Ostia Antica changed their name to The Classical, migrated to doing lots of cover version of songs by Gang of Four and The Fall and added a mixture of friends, classmates and girls I fancied to its line-up. I was the singer, guitarist and keyboard players, duties which I shared with about three other people, and we had two drummers in an attempt to sound like Hex Enduction Hour. We would develop an underground following in the local area for a few years before touring Europe and becoming hugely successful in Italy (influenced by the fact that I'd just been on holiday there). We would play an enormous gig at the former Roman port of Ostia Antica in Lazio to acknowledge the origin of our first name before having a series of messy arguments and descending into a series of increasingly experimental side projects.

Our album covers would all have a certain uniformity, showing the band standing around in a dusty ancient site somewhere. The CDs would contain incredibly detailed booklets, containing lots of pictures of us and lyrics but also showing huge collages of short stories, plane tickets and other ephemera to prove our travel and arty credentials.

My current 'project' is the ambient duo Resources, which features me on synths and laptop and a woman I vaguely know who works in a Chinese supermarket on synths, piano and hammered dulcimer. She is a classically trained musician with a special interest in Luciano Berio and I am the 'non-musician'. At our gigs, we kneel on the floor of a place that looks like a North African restaurant, looking moody, refusing to make eye contact with anyone and pressing a few keys before leaving.

The first Resources album is called Human Resources, and shows a photo I took of cranes five years ago. There might be alternative cover somewhere showing a picture of the Trellick Tower, though I see Perc has already taken care of that with one of his releases this year.

Simple but it says a lot.

Brundle-Fly

Subtle Mocking

Similar to Nev, I've always loved this image of batshit architecture.

Subtle Mocking

Oh wait, no, got the perfect one. More Soviet architecture, with the album title buried away in the background.

imitationleather

This popped up on my news feed and I think it'd make a great album cover for the Denim rip-off band I should be in.

KLG-7B

Neomod

I've just started a pointless musical project with several imaginary bands [nb]but with actual music being made by them[/nb].

12 inch covers for Cumbernauld (three angry 15 year old new wavers), Andre Coyte-Smith (80's hangover who was in the video for Ashes to Ashes) and Lettice O'Sullivan (Baroque female instrumentalist)

Neomod

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on November 07, 2012, 10:07:54 PM
Oh wait, no, got the perfect one. More Soviet architecture, with the album title buried away in the background.

That's in Bulgaria, a fantastic piece of communist brutalism. Another shot of the same location.

Chriddof

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 07, 2012, 01:50:56 AM
The band were to be called Young Offenders

I don't know if you remember this but wasn't there actually a band called The Young Offenders in the late 90s? Some sort of post-britpop indie-garage punk kind of deal. Released at least one single, appeared on TFI Friday. They were rotten.

When I was about 14 years old I thought up an imaginary band called "Kinetic Engine". I would be the Kurt Cobain-style frontman, and the other members were to be people I would meet at college in two years' time as I didn't want to form a band with anyone from my school. Our first album would have been called "Spermicide" (after Nirvana's "Incesticide") and the cover would be of a naked woman, pregnant, covered in blood, holding a chainsaw.

The second album was to be some sort of concept LP called "Juggerbox". I can't remember what the concept actually was, nor any of the songs I came up for it, apart from the intro track, which was to be about three full minutes of the band tuning up and talking to the producer.

Jerzy Bondov

I had an imaginary band called Ampersand. Their logo was an ampersand. They did ten albums:

• Thirst
  • Beckon
  • Heard
  • North
  • Live (live album)
  • Mix (remix compilation)
  • Heaven
  • Hate
  • Spine
  • End
I had all the album art done but I lost it. But look, the names rhyme with first, second, third and so on. Brilliant.

SockPuppet

Quote from: Chriddof on November 18, 2012, 11:22:59 PM
I don't know if you remember this but wasn't there actually a band called The Young Offenders in the late 90s?

Tragic Factory collector that I am, I had to buy this rubbish.....

Snobbish Puerile Wanker

Dead kate moss

My band are all punky and smash the system an that