Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your imaginary act's 1st album cover

Started by Brundle-Fly, November 06, 2012, 08:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Back in 1991 I imagined a band who would be a perfect fusion of all the top indie music I loved back then: Smiths, Pixies, Throwing Muses, all that. Their albums would all have at least 14 or 17 tracks on, they would release tons of b-sides, have hit singles, and their huge touring schedule would be essential viewing due to them always chucking in off-the-cuff cover versions of my heroes that made every show unique. I had a full discography worked out, including the EP tracklistings, the studio-recorded covers, the album tracks, the whole deal. The band would be called The Possibilities, after a play by Howard Barker, a political playwright I was heavily in to at the time and still like (his stuff is a bit like drama written by Richey Manic, but with more writing talent).

I can just about remember a fair number of the titles, but it all seems a bit naff now. Take my word for this but: The Possibilties actually existed, in the end, in spirit if not the details. They were caled Radiohead. Which is why I've never got on with the latter, at least their post-Bends success: because I look at them and think: "that's what The Possibilities would be like, and it's... rubbish". Though to be fair, The Possies (as their fans would know them) were mixed male/female, with female front-person.

kaprisky

A genuine cut-and-paste mock CD cover from '97. A stanley knife, a prit-stick, an old copy of Reader's Digest and the college photocopier produced this, the debut effort from Epping's answer to Nitzer Ebb. Looking back on it, I hate the album title but it was preferable to Here Come the Bees (or was it Wasps?). I can't remember now.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Chriddof on November 18, 2012, 11:22:59 PM
I don't know if you remember this but wasn't there actually a band called The Young Offenders in the late 90s? Some sort of post-britpop indie-garage punk kind of deal. Released at least one single, appeared on TFI Friday. They were rotten.

Ha! Now when you mention it, I do remember that. I dunno if I heard them, but I do remember seein the name somewhere or other, and gettin wicked annoyed.

Also, are you the Chriddof of Funny Horsie, Shittin in the 1940s etc fame? I stumbled upon that stuff a couple or three years ago, blew the face off me.

Chriddof

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on November 21, 2012, 10:44:28 PM
Also, are you the Chriddof of Funny Horsie, Shittin in the 1940s etc fame? I stumbled upon that stuff a couple or three years ago, blew the face off me.

Yes, that's me!

Obel

Quote from: Chriddof on November 22, 2012, 01:24:09 AM
Yes, that's me!

Can I take this opportunity to say I love you? And all my friends who love Funny Horsie love you too.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Chriddof on November 22, 2012, 01:24:09 AM
Yes, that's me!

Wow, holy shit. Your stuff is incredible. Myself and at least three of my friends gave up on what we were doin at the time because Shittin in the 1940s rendered the lot of it utterly useless.

Honoured to meet you. In a virtual sort of way.