Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:13:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

SOCA

Started by terrorist, February 09, 2004, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorist

(sorry if this has been discussed already)

Do we really need this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3473441.stm

I'm particularly scared by talk about it being too difficult to prove these crimes so we'll just take away the need to prove in order to convict.  That seems like a reasonable idea, as long as you're not the one standing in front of the sweaty guy at the que for customs who's just packed 5 grams of smack in your duty free bag.

And haven't they researched that name?  Shouldn't someone tell them Soca's a carribean/calipso kind of rhythm/sound thing.  It's hardly appropriate for and elite crime fighting force.

[that reminds me, "Elite", that's what I was trying to think of for that gaming thread never have white lines and dots on a screen held so much meaning]

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteTo require everything beyond reasonable doubt in these cases is very difficult

Tony Blair

Well he'd know wouldn't he!? Fucking tosser. Usually I like to support politics and politicians, but I'm just not in the mood today. When you hear something like that, just knowing that the 'great' british public have been kockled into believing him, it really does make you want to weep.

gazzyk1ns

Andy Marr was on the BBC news about an hour ago, taking the piss out of Labour for calling it SOCA, because he's always on about the fact that they're football obsessed.

Aside from being smug and making a joke (a perk of being fairly senior in the BBC journalism department I assume), he said that the main fear "people in the know" had was that it might take all of the more ambitious and talented people away from the local forces, who actually need them more.

Vermschneid Mehearties

JHC, I hate Andrew Marr.

Ooooh, lets listen to his dumbed dumbed dumbed down version of todays political events in tidy gimmicks and pathetic contemporary analogies. Ooooh, isn't he clever, he certainly doesn't strike me as a tory, or putting up the most transparent facade of impartiality ever.

Jet Set Willy

I think it's a pretty decent idea, I'd rather they spent money on an effective crime fighting force than the army, and it's true that organized crime is becoming increasingly bad in this country. It will have to be strictly within the law and respect human rights, I'm far more worried about so-called political reform than an overdue attempt to bring together the forces meant to fight serious crime.

pretty dead boy

was it today that he was officially casualised from andrew to andy?  i clocked the presenter tagging it loosely on to the end of her sentence.

i think he's lovely.  and he was drawn by david hockney, which you can see here

gazzyk1ns

Hehe yeah Raworth always does it, that's why I used "Andy" there... maybe there's something going on?

Dusty Gozongas

Possibly*** worth being extremely concerned about here is the possibility* that policemen with special powers are possibly** liable to be corrupt.

*read as "inevitability"
**read as "inevitably"
***read as you see fit.

Cheers again Tony.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't know why they don't just instigate a zero tolerance policy across Britain. If it can work in New York I'm sure it can work in London.
Oh, and not sending little bastard cunt kids on safari for nicking cars might help too....

Bilko

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Andy Marr was on the BBC news about an hour ago, taking the piss out of Labour for calling it SOCA, because he's always on about the fact that they're football obsessed.

I heard that as well, how exactly are Labour Football obsessed???

The only thing they have ever done was when Cunto Blair had that game of head tennis with Keagan 7 years ago. Since then nowt.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "The Unicorn"I don't know why they don't just instigate a zero tolerance policy across Britain. If it can work in New York I'm sure it can work in London.
Oh, and not sending little bastard cunt kids on safari for nicking cars might help too....

The thing is, NEW Labour promised this but haven't delivered.  In the meantime, they're passing cunty laws and sooner or later they'll have some newspeak 'thoughtcrime' alternative on the books.

"Fear is the essence of control", as some clever bloke once pointed out.  No apologies for rolling that particular chestnut out yet again.  Please.  For Godssake Britain... WAKE UP!

twatloops

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"JHC, I hate Andrew Marr.

Ooooh, lets listen to his dumbed dumbed dumbed down version of todays political events in tidy gimmicks and pathetic contemporary analogies. Ooooh, isn't he clever, he certainly doesn't strike me as a tory, or putting up the most transparent facade of impartiality ever.

Andrew Marr's a top chap.  Who gives a fuck if he seems to dilute the subject down into a more watchable section.  He still puts across the story and makes people sit up and listen.  When was the last time any other tv journalists style was discussed on a forum (apart from "todays bad smell" on popbitch)?

If you see the time and thought he puts into getting his clips to have the right balance of interest, fact and news in, you'd realise he's a valuable bit of tv.

Look at Sky's over sincere harbingers of doom for why I like "Andy M".

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"

I have no idea either, I assume someone can enlighten us?

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"
Quote from: "Peter Hammill"

I have no idea either, I assume someone can enlighten us?

They've definitely done that.  It was part of their initial charm, as I recall.  Apologies for not elaborating further but that one went down me memory hole a long time ago.

In the meantine, SING!

"Thiiiings... can only get better..."

twatloops

All part of the cool brittannia thing.  Hence the rugby team in number 10 too.