Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A simple question about a Bat For Lashes article on Pitchfork

Started by jaydee81, November 06, 2012, 10:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaydee81

Consignia

You mean technically how is it achieved to make the image change as you scroll? JavaScript, probably using some framework or library.

KLG-7B

Pseudopath

Quote from: KLG-7B on November 06, 2012, 11:05:32 PM
Looking at the source, ChartBeat seems to be the key thing used.

Nah...that's just a visitor stats plugin. The whizzy effects all appear to be jQuery-driven, in particular this scary looking file.

KLG-7B

Oh yeah. Heh. I didn't look at ChartBeat's content at all and assumed it was a library for making cute charts because the scrolling looked similar.

I don't think your file is it either, that's just the jQuery and BigScreen library code.Oh, it's all concatenated on the same line.

jaydee81

Quote from: Consignia on November 06, 2012, 11:02:48 PM
You mean technically how is it achieved to make the image change as you scroll? JavaScript, probably using some framework or library.

Yep, technically.
I'm not techy enough to know what your reply means, but I want to show it to someone who might.
My thoughts were it was like a flickerbook but done in pdf, which probably shows the limits of my knowledge.
It is a really beautifully presented article in a really novel way. So obviously I want to take any form of innovation and try and copy it.

The Masked Unit

I found it terribly distracting. Not easy to read the text as you scroll down.

Toast

It reminds me of the newspapers in the Harry Potter films. It looks great but it can distract you as you read. It works best when there's a small piece of text, like a quote, that you can read in one go before scrolling through the photos.

Pseudopath

Nike used to have a similar site (Nike Better World) which moved content up the screen at different speeds as you scrolled down the page (in other words, a parallax effect). There's a demo and tutorial here which shows how to recreate that effect. It doesn't have the fancy image change effect, but I'm sure your web designer chum can figure it out.