Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's Comedy

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, July 06, 2004, 07:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoShade

Aaargh! Minogue and Williams...with their dead eyes!

Gah. I must console myself with the fact that TV god Ivor Wood has the ultimate subversive double entendre name. Thx for the memories, ya crazy bastad.

Qunt

and the Rottentrolls was made by the same people as Dare To Believe of course. Better stick to the kids stuff me thinks.

mikeyg27

CBBC now have the worst sitcom I have ever seen, Kerrching! which is fucking attrocious. The laughter track keeps on playing even when there aren't any jokes, and the jokes they do have are shite. I believe the writers come from BBC Talent...

Jimmy

For current  ones, My Parents are Aliens gets a vote from me, I think Tony Gardner who plays Brian is a really good comic actor.Even though you tend to get quite a few weak lines here and there, his delivery always makes me laugh.

This exchange in a recent episode made me chuckle, it was along the lines of:

Brian : wow, the worlds greatest dad, God must be jealous...

Lucy: You think you're a better dad than God?

Brian: Well no offence but he didnt exactly manage to save his son from the Romans did he?

He then went on to grow breasts and expose them to his adopted teenage son. Which is nice.

Fairly Odd Parents is usually amusing, and Spongebob also gets a thumbs-up.

neveragain

The Animaniacs. That was very good and quite clever as well. Very clever at points, in fact. Also, Bananaman. Always loved that.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Jimmy"For current  ones, My Parents are Aliens gets a vote from me, I think Tony Gardner who plays Brian is a really good comic actor.

I stopped watching that when they replaced the actor who played the mother, and she was RUBBISH.

When are they gonna release Maid Marian on DVD?  Series three and four of that are seriously the funniest things ever.

-Nick

Johnny Yesno

More votes for Maid Marion and Round the Bend. I was already an adult when these were made but "Laugh? I nearly shat!" as many people say. Was Ren and Stimpy a children's show? I loved it but I never did figure that out.

BetaKarraTene

I watch worrying amounts of children's TV at the moment.  (To be put to an end by uni shortly though). Whenever I have my cousins around, who are about the same age as me - early to mid twenties - we mostly watch cartoons and the like. There seems to be a universal attraction to them for people my age that is unexplainable.

I agree for the mentions of 'Fairly Odd Parents', 'My Parents Are Aliens', 'Dexter's Lab', 'Round The Bend', 'Cow And Chicken' and 'Keenan And Kel'. What I find likeable about children's cartoons that I'd probably get annoyed with for adult comedy is the unquestionable silliness.  Shows like Earthworm Jim and Sam And Max seem to be unconcerned with being anything else other than being as daft as possible. Saying that, there is a line to how much 'whacky' is palatable - Anamaniacs and Spongebob Squarepants do grate sometimes. Also, shows like Johnny Bravo can indeed be enjoyed on a few levels.  Whilst smaller children laugh at all the strange situations, older ones laugh can laugh at the macho clichés and references. The chat show episode is one of the most bizarre and hilarious 5 minutes I've experienced.

I'd also agree about the quality of writing.  Watch My Chops and Arrrggghh! Real Monsters often have/had some very clever linking between events and my current favourites Airbats and Excel Saga (sadly hidden away in the early hours) has some very astute characters and dialogue.

It's sad that children's TV these days seems to be becoming more simplistic and inane like The Misty Show which I find infinitely more offensive than Jerry repeatedly running over Tom with a lawnmower.  I always find that children respond positively to being treated intelligently, so since kids today are supposedly growing up to be overweight couch potatoes, surely we should give them quality programming to go with their lifestyles?

Qunt

anyone remember 'Round the twist' - mad australian show with an awesome theme tune? Used to love that, it was really odd

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Qunt"anyone remember 'Round the twist' - mad australian show with an awesome theme tune? Used to love that, it was really odd

Ah, yeah, Round the Twist was great....based on the Paul Jennings books.

They tried to remake it recently and hired a new cast.  But their new cast seemed to have been hired solely for their physical similarities to the original cast, rather than any decent acting merit.

Couple that with the fact that I do not believe Paul Jennings was involved with it (I may be wrong on that, I don't remember.)  Anyway, it was shit, basically.

-Nick

mikeyg27

Y'know, if you'd read the previous page of this thread, you might have discovered we'd already mentioned Round The Twist. Still, always good to have more support.

Goldentony

spatz, round the bend, maid marion, mike and angelo, all good.

Qunt

QuoteY'know, if you'd read the previous page of this thread, you might have discovered we'd already mentioned Round The Twist.

I'm a busy man, no time to read endless pages of posts I'm afraid, sorry indeed

Braintree

Don't Eat The Neihbours was excellent in my opinion. It was about a rabbit widower voiced by Robert Lindsay and his daughter voiced by Doon Mackichan and a canadian wolf family(The dad was voiced by the fat man who used to advertise Air Canada) and the rabbit's best friend was a terrapin voiced by Tim McInnerny.
If they ever released it on DVD I would buy it. It was that good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289160/

It is on video and there is a region 2 DVD but not the whole series.

Lt Plonker

Does anyone remember Spatz? It was on ITV and set in a Burger Bar. I remember it being very entertaining - and the manager character had a Tomy Trainset like me.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/neelds/Spatz.htm

And Mike And Angelo ran until 2000! Fucking hell.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-10082/Mike_and_Angelo/

DuncanC

What about Freakazoid and Earthworm Jim? I remember them being pretty good.

Goldentony

i remember spatz and mike and angelo hence mentioning them just above..

mike and angelo was shite in the later series it was a bit shit once they got the irish bird from spatz in there.

spatz remained amazing always however.

mayer

Quote from: "Dr David V"Also, I do quite like Kenan and Kel, in a kind of no-brainer farcical way.

i read through this hoping someone would mention K&K... i loved it. great farce, catchphrases that were funny but not over-used, Coolio theme tune. sorted. i also liked the Animaniacs, which has been mentioned.

MrSideways

Ye Gods! Maid Marian was truly one of my favourite things ever as a child, I'd love to see it again.

Danger Mouse was another perennial childhood fave, and having viewed it again I can attest to it still being utterly, utterly brilliant. Perfect voice casting, great scripts and multi-layered, like a wonderful cake. There's even an Alien reference in one episode! Fantastic. Overall, it's just the sheer silliness and energy of the series that still holds up so well. It's like an early blueprint for the likes of Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, Powerpuff Girls et al. Aces!

QuotePenfold (upon hearing that their latest mission was all a bit pointless): So we did all that...for...nothing? Oh, chief! (Starts sobbing).
DM: Now, now, calm down Penfold...just remember, it's only a cartoon.

Ditto Count Duckula, another Cosgrove Hall masterpiece. Really funny, and surprisingly dark and twisted in places!

It's always nice to find that something you enjoyed as a kid still stands up today. I remember watching DM with my folks, and them laughing as much as I. It's not a ker-azy nostalgia fest, or a stunted IQ. I enjoy these shows 'cos they were examples of great comedy.

Honourable mentions: Freakazoid! (Remember The Huntsman?), Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life and Earthworm Jim. Oooh! And The Tick cartoon. Buh-rilliant.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Braintree"(The dad was voiced by the fat man who used to advertise Air Canada)

Oh Christ, is that really the way people describe Mike McShane these days? S&M was one of the funniest programmes of the nineties for me. How depressing. Time for a new thread, I reckon...

neveragain

Earthworm Jim!

I'd forgotten about that entirely... what a brilliant series. 'A fate worse that debt.' is about the only quote I can recall. Although I've always enjoyed watching idiotic superheroes. Oh, Jesus...

The Tick!

How could no-one mention that?

mikeyg27

EARTHWORM JIM!
Through soil he did crawl
EARTHWORM JIM!
A super-suit did fall

DuncanC

It got a bit less distinct there, something like "Jim was just a dirt-eating chewy length of worm-plast (??) but all that came to a crash and gave him ha ha ha!!! (?)"

I remember a cow fell from nowhere at the end of every episode, and there was a villain called Professor Monkey-For-A-Head.

BetaKarraTene

The villains and the cow are linked from the video games which are also superb (although insanely difficult). I'm adamant that the Futurama episode where Fry drinks 100 cups of coffee and becomes a superbeing of chilled energy is a rip off of the Earthworm Jim episode where Psycrow does the same thing (except that he just whacks up the caffeine concentration and he becomes a being of nervous energy). It would also appear from the CVs of the cast list that there may only be about 17 cartoon voice actors in the world.
QuoteEnt: Psycrow shooting at children whilst running down the street.
Psycrow: "Come on, come on, let's move it!
*Comes across headmistress*
Psycrow: "Yes?"
Headmistress: "I'm afraid we're going to have to let you go. It's just that for a gym teacher you're just too..."
Psycrow: "Vicious and brutal?"
Headmistress: "No. You're too... NICE! You're a gym teacher for crying out loud!"

*Sigh* I'd kill for a DVD release.

Consignia

I liked it in Earthworm Jim, when Jim's evil twin appears, and Jim comes up with a plan to defeat his nemisis.

QuoteJim: I've got, since your my exact opposite, and I love winning, you must love losing.

Evil Jim: Oh, don't be so literal.

Purple Tentacle

lactating man nips

Earthworm Jim was truly brilliant. There was a cracking episode about a giant fur bearing trout. I got a couple of episodes off emule a while back but couldn't find any more, I would also kill for a DVD.

Dark Sky

Anyone remember "Dizzy Heights"?  Crazy capers of two hotel owners with permanent residents of the puppet Gristle family, plus a couple of mice living under the stairs, and the hog and bear heads on the wall also talked...

I used to love that when I was small.  Admittedly on rewatching it now there's not so much for adults to get their teeth into.

BUT there was a spin off series from Dizzy Heights called "The House of Gristle", which was a sketch show starring the puppet Gristle family from Dizzy Heights.  And they would present the show and then perform sketches, and it was kinda self referential and full of lots of variety with canned studio audience laughter (which they made fun of a few times), and cheesy little jingles and in-show adverts...  Like urm...slow motion shots from previous sketches flying through the clouds with "Take My Breath Away" playing in the background, then a big deep booming voice says "The House of Gristle....the show you can watch between meals, without ruining your appetite".

Oh it was so good (honest).  I hope I still have that taped at home.  Though I did miss the final episode, annoyingly.  If anyone has it please let me know.  I'll perform sexual favours for you.

-Nick

wheatgod

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Anyone remember "Dizzy Heights"?  Crazy capers of two hotel owners with permanent residents of the puppet Gristle family, plus a couple of mice living under the stairs, and the hog and bear heads on the wall also talked...

god, i'd forgotten that show totally! probably one of the first programmes i ever watched, alongside sesame street. i loved it, but dont think it quite fits into the category of "still watchable as an adult".

neveragain

Does no-one here remember The Tick? That is a shame.

'We have to think of a superhero catchphrase.'
'What? Like... 'Not in the face!'?'
'No. More like... SPOON!'
'What?'
'SPOON!'
'...no.'