Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's Comedy

Started by 12 years, 11 months old, July 06, 2004, 07:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Sky

Quote from: "chewinggumfortheeyes"Maid Marian DVD goodness:
http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/eka40208

DVD Extras: Audio Commentary Episode 1 by Tony Robinson, Quiz, written by Tony Robinson, Maid Marian Karaoke Trailer and Exclusive Booklet, written by Tony Robinson, Drawn by Paul Cemmick.

Oooh, nice that there are extras!  But why aren't there full cast commentaries on all the episodes?!  Hopefully if they release future series (if they can?!) they'll get a bigger budget.

QuoteIt was much funnier when they introduced Guy of Isborne(sp).

Yeah, once you have Rose Scargill and Guy of Gisbourne in it really feels like a proper 'world', as it were.  Series two is still finding its feet a bit, but every moment of three and four is utter, utter gold.

QuoteIt will make me feel incredibly old watching though it as its full of cultural references to New Kids on the Block and the like. "Oh oh ey oh oh!"

Oh yeah...Noel's House Party and Timmy Mallett et al...

idunnosomename

Quote from: "Ged"bump

New childrens comedy starting Monday on CITV, starring David Schneider as Uncle Max. First I heard about it was the following article in today's Times:

Uncle Max, Mon-Fri, ITV1, 3.40pm

also production blurb:
http://www.littlebird.ie/Ease/servlet/DynamicPageBuild?siteID=1346&categoryID=100&sessionID=g7l0hb9qu1

Anyone watch this? I forgot about it but it's on everyday so I'll catch it eventually. The idea of Schneider in a kid's show surprised me a lot!

JCBillington

Uncle Max was pretty dissapointing given the write-ups in the Times and RT. It's straightforward, unimaginative slapstick for under-10s. Certainly nothing 'clever', no good buildups, just pratfalls and food-fights etc, comparable to similar CITV stuff.

EDIT: I should point out that I live with a 5 year old and therefore watch a lot of childrens TV. Before someone chimes in with 'What did you expect...'

Ignatius_S

Quote from: "JCBillington"Uncle Max was pretty dissapointing given the write-ups in the Times and RT. It's straightforward, unimaginative slapstick for under-10s. Certainly nothing 'clever', no good buildups, just pratfalls and food-fights etc, comparable to similar CITV stuff.

EDIT: I should point out that I live with a 5 year old and therefore watch a lot of childrens TV. Before someone chimes in with 'What did you expect...'

Sadly, I don't have a decent excuse for watching it and just when I didn't think I can sink any lower, I'm discussing children's television on a forum...

Given that it was scheduled at 15.40 CITV, despite what the papers say, it was always going to be strictly a kids' programme rather than "slapstick with a PhD".  If ITV thought  a profitable crossover audience was likely, the show would have gone out at a different time, like it did with the Mr Bean cartoon.

Also, the marathon example, Scheider gave in The Times interview, did pretty much sum up what to expect from the show.

Yup, definitely unoriginal - then again, if the setting is a restaurant, I want my food fight!