Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Does anyone know if Ricky Gervais is an atheist?" [split topic]

Started by Replies From View, November 17, 2012, 11:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

There's a new fifteen-minute video on Gervais' podcast channel called 'Ricky meets Richard Dawkins'.

Imagine it first, then watch it and discover if your imagination was correct.

olliebean

That's a longer version of the interview that Dawkins' recent TV series had clips from. It's pretty much exactly how I imagined it, but simultaneously somehow worse.

Quote from: GervaisI hate being labelled an atheist, because it's not how I live my life. I don't live my life going around going "I'm an atheist, I'm an atheist."

scarecrow

There's... there's... there's no... there's no, ummm, God fearing person of any religion... who... feels as much awe as me, when I see... a dwarf in a toilet. Or a tree.

Queneau

checkoutgirl

He's wearing shoes with jeans in that last photo, and his moobs are not a good look in the one before that. Crucify him, I say.

MuteBanana

"Oh Jesus Christ! And I'm an atheist."

The time thing doesn't work. 5 minutes 15 seconds is the bit I was referring to.

That quote above is amazing. As himself and as his comedy persona he bleats on about it, then claims he doesn't want to be labelled.

Replies From View

Quote from: scarecrow on November 17, 2012, 12:24:26 PM
There's... there's... there's no... there's no, ummm, God fearing person of any religion... who... feels as much awe as me

I love how he doesn't specify what their comparative lack of awe is towards.  It seems like he's wanting to say "their awe towards their God is not greater than my awe towards the wonder of nature" - but he doesn't say that.  Instead he basically says that believing in God in any religion somehow hinders a person's ability to feel awe.  What an idiot.

Noodle Lizard

I mentioned in the Penn & Teller thread that an audience member during a Q&A referred to Penn as "one of two Atheist Cardinals, along with Ricky Gervais".  Penn I can sort of understand because he's very eloquent and articulate in his views on atheism, and a lot of his "exercises" and examples and rebuttals of religious challenges are original and effective ... but how the fuck can anyone say the same for Ricky Gervais, who hasn't said anything much smarter than "Only a thick mong in a pub would believe in God! Ha ha" on the subject.  Ugh.

He's really such a tit.

Noodle Lizard

BlodwynPig

Atheist Cardinal is one of the smuggest, hipster-lite, misguided terms I have had the misfortune to have read.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 17, 2012, 03:23:25 PM
Atheist Cardinal is one of the smuggest, hipster-lite, misguided terms I have had the misfortune to have read.

It made Penn, myself and a good number of audience members visibly and audibly cringe ... or double-cringe, as I also cringed at Gervais's mention.

up_the_hampipe

Is it worth following him for the amusing bollocks he spews? I followed him when I first got to twitter as he was pre-Life's Too Short, still-kinda-funny Gervais back then. Then unfollowed him because he had every negative personality trait in the book. Even his charity acts screamed humblebraggery.

But it looks like I'm missing some horrific gems. Is it worth it?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 17, 2012, 03:48:30 PM
Is it worth following him for the amusing bollocks he spews? I followed him when I first got to twitter as he was pre-Life's Too Short, still-kinda-funny Gervais back then. Then unfollowed him because he had every negative personality trait in the book. Even his charity acts screamed humblebraggery.

But it looks like I'm missing some horrific gems. Is it worth it?

No, honestly, it's really annoying.  The problem also is that it's really hard to explain to people who don't really care.

Person:  "Blah blah Ricky Gervais"
You:  "Yeah, he's a cunt though that one"
Person:  "Why?"
You:  "Cos ... loads of reasons.  He's on Twitter and he's a shit."
Person:  "Why?"
You:  "He's always saying shit things"
Person:  "Like what?"
You:  "... it's hard to be concise, you'll just have to follow him to see"
Person:  "Nah."

That's pretty much as far as it goes.

up_the_hampipe

I was trying to communicate the reason why Noel Fielding is a pretty bad person too for a while. Then that woman nearly committed suicide because of his Twitter stuff, and that's a good story to use. I'm sure Ricky will get one of those some day.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Ricky Gervais on the Twitter a couple of hours agoEverybody has the right to believe anything they want. And that includes the right to believe some beliefs are fucking ridiculous.

Quote from: Jesus Christ on the Twitter 1hr59 ago@rickygervais Jizz in my stigmata, change the fucking record you boring arse!

MuteBanana

It's not even religion he's going at. He's attacking the people who believe in it, with the reasoning that they shove their beliefs on others and so cannot complain when he mocks them.

One off man mental

Fucking hell, is this thread still going? I stopped following it at around page 30.

Apologies if this has already been posted but fuck me watching this is like wanking through treacle. In that I would recommend you do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd92qy2ZmV0

RG to RD, around 13 minute mark:

"I hate being labelled an atheist; I don't live my life going round going, 'I'm an atheist, I'm an atheist.'"

Dead kate moss

Quote from: bonesbonesbonesbones on November 19, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
RG to RD, around 13 minute mark:

"I hate being labelled an atheist; I don't life my life going round going, 'I'm an atheist, I'm an atheist.'"

Sorry, my head just exploded. I have just managed to type out these words first... have fun without me...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: bonesbonesbonesbones on November 19, 2012, 05:45:40 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted but fuck me watching this is like wanking through treacle. In that I would recommend you do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd92qy2ZmV0

Turned off after the first second.  What a tit.

checkoutgirl

Dawkins and Gervais look like a right pair of self important, patronising wankers in that clip. And it's a small gripe but can somebody please tell Gervais how to pronounce the word moustache ?
It's pronounced mustash, not mustosh. I think he pronounces it like that to deliberately annoy me.
And it's pronounced David Bo ee, not David Baw ee. He's named after the Bowie knife, not the Bawee knife Gervais. You bunt.

KLG-7B

He spends half of the Learn English With Ricky Gervais video pronouncing "bald" as "bold".

Tiny Poster

I wonder if "mustosh" is a Berkshire thing? I have a friend from Newbury who says it the same way.

thenoise

Quote from: KLG-7B on November 19, 2012, 06:15:05 PM
He spends half of the Learn English With Ricky Gervais video pronouncing "bald" as "bold".

Fuck I do that.  I'm deeply ashamed to have something in common with him.

Dawkins just went down in my estimation, by indulging Gervais in that smugfest. 

graffic

You've got to feel sorry for Gervais. A common as the day chav from Reading who's started to believe his own hype and takes himself so seriously now he's becoming a parody of his former self. As usual, just like he was with the Arch Bishop of Canterbury, he's incapable of showing the smallest bit of decorum or respect for someone who is much more qualified than he is. His smugness is intoxicating.

Perhaps that is out of order however I do not like Ricky Gervais.

Queneau

Quote from: thenoise on November 19, 2012, 06:28:32 PM
Fuck I do that.

Kunt of Kunt and the Gang fame pronounces it that way too.

Anyway, Dawkins has been pissing me off for years. The best thing about The God Delusion is the chapter about children.

paolozzi

I think I hate atheists more than I hate any religious person. In fact, I don't actually hate anyone who is religious at all, I only hate fucking atheists.

Jesus wept.

Queneau

Quote from: paolozzi on November 19, 2012, 07:51:34 PM
I think I hate atheists more than I hate any religious person. In fact, I don't actually hate anyone who is religious at all, I only hate fucking atheists.

This is clearly a joke, right? I hate people that bang on about what they are. Good for you, whatever. As long as you aren't hurting anyone I don't give a flying fuck. An old lady on her death bed believing in God, and that she's going to heaven, no harm in that. It's when religion is used as an excuse, weapon or justification that I object. Collective religion is really a shitter. How anyone can be so sure of anything regarding the creation of the universe truly baffles me.