Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Cronenberg's Wife - Don't Wait To Be Hunted To Hide

Started by 23 Daves, December 01, 2012, 12:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Hmmm... OK then.  I'm a fan of David Cronenberg's Wife anyway, but this might actually be one of the more interesting album releases this year - it would certainly be one of the most controversial in the media if the band had any sort of profile outside of a culty London following.  "Don't Wait To Be Hunted To Hide" is a disapproving concept album about sexual deviancy and the evil side of men, and features ten songs about stalking, date-rape, paedophilia, and obsession all delivered through first person narratives.  The only track to have a proper video at this point is the strikingly well-observed "Piped Piper of Maidenhead", which seems to describe at least one small-town man I used to know back in my teens:

http://youtu.be/vv5guHN_ztw

The album itself is really engaging to listen to, being largely lyrically driven and filled with lo-fi minimalist hooks and riffs.  It's only when you get to the most well-crafted song "For Laura Kingsman" that things get a bit too bleak and perhaps feel too uncomfortable for their own good - unlike the other tracks, this is a yearning ballad, and given the graphic subject matter feels slightly distressing. 

I saw them live this week and the album actually sounded far better in that environment, staggeringly good in fact, the music veering much more towards sinister Krautrock grooves than it does on the album.  Be that as it may, it's still a powerful listen, just one it's impossible to take in with comfort and ease.

The indie version of the "Brasseye Special" then?  I suppose. 

Neville Chamberlain

Never heard of this lot, but I like the band name and I really like that song...thanks for the 'heads up', old chap!

23 Daves

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on December 01, 2012, 09:32:39 PM
Never heard of this lot, but I like the band name and I really like that song...thanks for the 'heads up', old chap!

There's a whole world of other stuff out there - the debut album "Bluebeard's Rooms" is well worth investigating too. 

Here's the video for "You Should Have Closed The Curtains" off second album "Hypnagogues".  http://youtu.be/sfAaGjI_6JI

The Roofdog

I loved their debut album and must've seen them live 4-5 times around then. Hypnagogues I barely listened to though, just seemed to be a retread of the first record with weaker tunes. This has interested me enough to give the new one a try, glad there are other fans (well, one other so far) in here.

Johnny Townmouse

Kind of have an Auteurs feel to them that I find quite pleasing. The band name is rather off-putting to me, I have to say, but I've bought the album and will give it a go.

That I haven't heard of them is further evidence of how out of touch I am becoming. The recent released line-up for the National ATP has an alarming roster of bands that have never graced my ears.

23 Daves

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 02, 2012, 11:58:11 AM
I loved their debut album and must've seen them live 4-5 times around then. Hypnagogues I barely listened to though, just seemed to be a retread of the first record with weaker tunes. This has interested me enough to give the new one a try, glad there are other fans (well, one other so far) in here.

I think "Hypnagogues" is my least favourite album of theirs so far.  I get the impression that it was an attempt to create something a bit more reflective and melodic, and whilst there are some brilliant moments on there ("Sweden", "Lou Reed Song", "You Should Have Closed The Curtains") there are also plenty of tracks I could live without.  It seemed to emerge a mere year after their debut album dropped as well...  more bafflingly still, "Suicide - Stretch Out" is a great track yet was just dumped on a B-side around the same time.

I'll probably be able to decide in a couple of months whether this one is on a par with "Bluebeard's Rooms" or not.  It may not be far off. 

23 Daves

Quick bump to say that DCW are the surprise support artists for The Fall's gig in Islington tonight.  Delighted for them, provided the experience doesn't put them off The Fall forever. 

The Roofdog

Ah you're joking. I tried and failed to get a ticket for tonight, had to get one for tomorrow instead (first London Fall gig I've ever heard of selling out)