Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

Started by The Region Legion, December 03, 2012, 06:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

I remember years ago, saying on a Star Trek bulletin board that the next Trek TV show needed to take it's cue from the cable shows then on - The Sopranos, Six Feet Under etc. Most other participants reacted coolly to the idea - they literally wanted 26 standalone 43-minute episodes per year, where nothing ever happened and it was all tame and boring. And so they got Enterprise, and see how that worked out for them...

I always thought that a "rebuilding the Federation after a cataclysmic fall" concept might supply the requisite amount of grittiness. I don't know if Kevin Sorbo show Andromeda (allegedly dreamed up by Gene Roddenberry) had that in mind, but something like that. Only not terrible. Say, Andromeda crossed with the Battlestar Galactica reboot, with the complex plotting and characterisation you saw in The Sopranos (if Game of Thrones is "The Sopranos with swords," what we're aiming for is "The Sopranos in space"). On a lone Federation ship, but not like Voyager where the ship was always spotless and any damage was fixed by the next episode.

Acceptable

You say that but Enterprise was shit because it had characters that ranged from annoying to bland and had all the high concept Science Fiction of a Walnut Whip. Serialised TV just means that hack writers get to ruin twenty four hours of my life rather than one. If at any point during Enterprise (or even Voyager for that matter) any of the main cast had actually conveyed a human emotion, or faced a genuine obstacle, Star Trek might not be some miserable fucking action franchise now.

Quote from: mothman on June 29, 2013, 12:08:19 AM
The Sopranos In Space

While I will say again that that was Deep Space Nine (god that show was fucking excellent), I agree that a more modern take on a similar line would be an improvement. Deep Space Nine is still filmed in that TNG/VOY way, but modern TV drama has taken massive steps over the last 15 years or so in terms of cinematography.

I can absolutely see a serious, gritty take on Next Gen being the TV show after the next movie. They'll want to stick with recognisable character names I think, because it's worked well for them so far. Then they have the fun popcorn blockbusters with Kirk & Spock, and the serious television show with Picard et al.