Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

Started by The Region Legion, December 03, 2012, 06:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's probably fair to say that it doesn't take place entirely on Earth just because the origin of the villain is clearly London. Think we might be reading a bit much into it.

MojoJojo

Yeah I agree.

A quick google suggests that almost all the posters for the other films have the enterprise in it.

The only film which didn't have a poster with the Enterprise in it (from my very quick search) was Nemesis. Take from that what you will.

(I'm really not that obsessive about Star Trek, just bored)

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: Obel on December 04, 2012, 10:11:54 AM
The Avengers not fun enough for you?

No. I think I'm just depressed.

The last Star Trek film didn't impress me much. All modern rubbish actors in it. Simon Pegg, jesus. He can't act or do comedy. I think American producers have a blind spot for lightweight bland British rubbishness like Pegg or Martin Freeman or Benedict C. Zero-range bland 21st century suburbian nothingness acting. Like Orlando Bloom.

I hereby end miserable post.

ziggy starbucks

Marv Orange

yup because its an upside down moon cup

chocky909

This thread should be in the MOOVY sub forum. FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Quote from: chocky909 on December 05, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

Oh yeah, good point. I never go in that sub forum. Neil will notice eventually I guess?

Also, teaser trailer online tomorrow.

Blumf

Quote from: chocky909 on December 05, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

Nah, because movies are projected onto a screen with light and this production is all dark n that.

biggytitbo

Trailer out.

Another mad bloke out for revenge. Original!

Dark Sky

Remember there's only ever seven unique stories.  And six of them involve a mad bloke out for revenge.

Nuclear Optimism

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Blumf on December 05, 2012, 01:18:53 PM
Nah, because movies are projected onto a screen with light and this production is all dark n that.

good point - fuck all this 196fps 4D stuff, whose going to step up to the plate and give us the first dark projector? Might even coax Christian Bale back out of his hollow tree trunk.

Cerys

Fuck's sake.  I can't believe that I've only just noticed the parallel between the poster and the Star Trek Insignia symbol.

VegaLA

I've yet to read this article but it has put off my Trek fan friend from seeing the film so I'll hide the link under spoilers:

Spoiler alert

Now i'll go read it. Exscuse me.

Hmm...includes extended trailer with the shot that is causing alarm with some fans.

Ray Le Otter

Is it just me or does the title remind anybody else me of Sir Denis Eton-Hogg's "Tap Into America" level of wordplay?

Quote from: VegaLA on December 07, 2012, 04:21:45 PM
I've yet to read this article but it has put off my Trek fan friend from seeing the film so I'll hide the link under spoilers

I think it's fair to say that scene isn't going to go quite the way it seems. Abrams might think a great deal of himself, but
Spoiler alert
poaching the most iconic moment in Star Trek and just repeating verbatim
[close]
is unlikely to be something he considers a good move.

Not to mention, these characters
Spoiler alert
just haven't been around long enough for anyone to care if Spock or Kirk dies.
[close]
My opinion?
Spoiler alert
It's Pike's hand, succumbing to some kind of radiation poisoning saving the ship from an attack by Cumberbatch, hence the memorial scene in the trailer and the shot of Uhura and Scotty
[close]

It's times like this I'm very grateful for Abrams' secretive nature over his films.

mobias

So I got a good 10-15 minute long preview of this last night in 3D IMAX before The Hobbit. So long in fact it seemed like we'd actually booked the wrong movie. Looks pretty epic and has a few original ideas in it. Seems like at least some of it is set in a futuristic London. Benedict Cumberbatch looks like he's a doctor in a hospital able to bring people back from the dead. We caught up with the Enterprise crew on an alien planet. The Enterprise is fully submerged underwater and the crew are observing a primitive new alien civilisation. Spock is in a volcano trying to capture a very rare and special type of new life form when it begins erupting and all hell brakes loose. From the clip it looks like Spock dies but presumably thats not what happens. Its all looking good though and there were lots of good funny dialogue moments similar to the first Abrams movie. 

Looking forward.

BlodwynPig

The Roofdog

Quote from: mobias on January 10, 2013, 09:04:07 PM
We caught up with the Enterprise crew on an alien planet. The Enterprise is fully submerged underwater and the crew are observing a primitive new alien civilisation.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!
Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one.

SteveDave

There's a new trailer out but it doesn't really do anything new.

Also this

just seems like a massive rip-off of the poster no?

Famous Mortimer

I bet that's pretty good. On a sci-fi actor doing Shakespeare tip, John Simm was absolutely top drawer in Hamlet a year or two back in Sheffield.

mobias

ACE!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RxZcxkFZZP0

ps Why is this thread in the TV section instead of the movie section?

Final trailer came out a few days ago, film comes out in the UK on the 9th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRI4fftGB4

I must say, I'm pretty uninspired by all of the promo for this one. They're giving away practically nothing about what the film is actually about, whilst heavily hinting that there's more going on than just "going after a bad guy" that the trailer shows.

Still, got my tickets for the midnight showing.

Also (spoilered for speculation without any knowledge of rumours):
Spoiler alert
They seem to be killing off Chekov pretty early in the film. He's barely in any of the trailers, and he's not at his post on the bridge in the shots from the latest one.
[close]

checkoutgirl

Is that Benedictine Cucumber ? He's very good.

Still Not George

His name is "Bandersnatch Cummerbund", get it right.

Nuclear Optimism

No no no it's Billabong Cumshotman.

Nuclear Optimism

Nuclear Optimism