Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Far Cry 3

Started by ArchieGemmel, December 11, 2012, 12:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Finished this and you know for all the talk of the "terrible story" and whether it works that it's "ironically bad" It does make for some spectacularly over the top and trippy set-pieces. It's a great contrast to picking flowers, exploring caves and hunting animals with a bow. It's a game that does make you feel awesome as well as you go from fumbling your way through early encounters to masterfully taking down bases within a minute. There's also some wonderfully insane characters in there.
Spoiler alert
It's a shame Vaas is disposed of so early, as Hoyt doesn't live up to him. I can't help thinking the voice actors performance lifted him above what they could have expected
[close]

The Βoston Crab

I forget, was Vaas related to Citra or was it just trying to draw some meaningless parallel with the same haircut stuff. I agree as well, Hoyt was nowhere near as threatening or interesting but I'd probably say that the whole second island was a bit blander in every way. That said, it's the greatest open world sandbox I've played. I also heard there's any upcoming update which will reset all the bases and some shit which is good because I don't think I got enough time using the hardcore ass shit I earned by the end. I've still got the DLC to go through but I'd be happy to have the chance to fuck up the Rakyat and have them try to wipe me off the island.

Cohaagen

Playing through Far Cry 3 at the moment.

Graphically it's incredible. I could barely run the first game six years ago so the leap in quality almost unnerved me
The script and characterisation is a masterclass in video game writing: dodgy Orientalism, Noble Savages, and a Magical Negro all in the first ten minutes. Fantastic. The handbook entries produce a cringe harder than the pot scene in The Breakfast Club and have now even resorted to mother-in-law gags. That aside I love non-fantasy RPGs so the sandbox elements and freedom to let you concoct your own approaches to compound attacks are good, as is the large weapons selection. The interface and save system are a fucked console-jockey mess, though. No PC game should ever force the player to rely on checkpoints or make them play through sections already completely because of widely-staggered savepoints. It is very satisfying to reenact the Ray Liotta film No Escape by putting a flaming arrow down the throat of a racially-degraded bad guy though.

I could have done without the fucking Skrillex though.

SimonG156

Any co-op or online element to it?

Mister Six

There are leaderboards for some of the side-quest challenges, but not really, I think.

I started playing this for the first time a couple of days ago and it's brilliant - both of the best bits from Far Cry 2 (the ace graphics and immersive world) without any of the bad. Gone are the shit vehicle physics, the nonexistant characters, the respawning guards, the repetitious battles and the terrible design decisions like forcing the player to only carry one of each kind of weapon. Yeah, the plot's a load of guff and really morally/racially dubious, but it's a gorgeous world to throw yourself into. Bit miffed by a couple of the hunting missions - kill a panther with ordinary arrows? Fuck off! - but I assume once I get the right syringes it'll be a bit easier.

Quick question: is there a cap on tattoo skills, or is it possible - assuming I get enough XP - to get all of them? Basically, should I be planning ahead and choosing skills based on play style or can I just nab them as they become available?

And is there any point to the bow now that I have a silenced sniper rifle?

Cohaagen

I don't like online gaming so haven't bothered with the co-op side of it.

Needed a few dingo skins to craft some goofy holster or whatever earlier, so I went out jeep hunting and ran over a pack of them at a T-junction. I felt a deep mystical connection to the island and its animals as multiple canids squelched beneath my limited-slip differential. It is the way of Citra.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 25, 2013, 08:02:35 AMBit miffed by a couple of the hunting missions - kill a panther with ordinary arrows? Fuck off! - but I assume once I get the right syringes it'll be a bit easier.

That's what I thought at first, but the hunter missions do become much easier, relatively speaking, once you upgrade your health and craft some of the hunting syringes.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 25, 2013, 08:02:35 AMAnd is there any point to the bow now that I have a silenced sniper rifle?

Yes. You can obtain skill upgrades that increase your firing rate with the bow, which makes it a deadly close-in/medium range weapon, something the sniper rifle is very poor at.

Now having a crack at the original Crysis, which I've managed to max out also. Fuck me it's hard. The bad guys are considerably more alert and resilient than the ones in FC3 and I'm having a difficult time of it even on Easy.

Jim_MacLaine

Finally got round to getting this. Any hints or tips?

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on August 08, 2013, 10:54:52 AM
Finally got round to getting this. Any hints or tips?

Shooting the red boxes on telegraph poles in enemy camps disables the alarms (there may be multiple alarms in a camp). Using a sniper rifle or the bow and arrow to do this will make them easy prey.

Other than that, unlock as many phone towers as possible as soon as possible - that's how you access the best weapons for free.

I REALLY enjoyed my first hour and a half with Far Cry 3 when I could barely hold any ammo and only had one or two guns.
It forces you to take the stealthy route, creates tension and the intermingling systems create amazing moments of gameplay.

Like when a large patrol of men saw me, and I killed one of them and was out of bullets. And was forced to run and hide, and while they searched for me, I was attacked by a group of Komodo dragons. Then had to leg it right back into the bad-guys, run to the guy I originally killed and pick up his gun. At which point the Komodo Dragons had killed the other guys, and had begun rehunting me. And I was in tall grass and couldn't see the pack, but could still hear them. I had barely any ammo; it had basically become the bit when Aussie(?) Bob Peck gets killed in Jurassic Park.

It was brilliant.

I never had anyway near as much fun as that after the first hour and a half because I had become so overpowered that it was more "In what amusing manner should I kill these people" instead of "How the HELL am I supposed to kill these people? I'm absolutely screwed".

So, my advice would be to see how you're going, and if you're enjoying the frantic open-ended fun of being on the same level as the enemies, don't bother leveling up your perks.

If you're after a power-fantasy, then go for it!

Jim_MacLaine

Fanx for the tips. I've been killed countless times already, mostly by animals. Those Cassowary birds are bastards!

I've crafted the biggest wallet and holster so what weapons should I be getting?

misterfridge

Er... without wanting to sound like too much of a dick, why don't you just play it rather than ask people here what they'd do?

I always prefer to go for the big sniper rifles but the bow and arrow is quite good fun for silent takedowns. If I remember correctly you've got to get the trajectory right so it's very satisfying to take down a guard on the other side of an enemy base from a distance.

Jim_MacLaine

Dick

But seriously. Whoever said the day/night cycle isn't as good as 2 is correct. I haven't had any of those marvelling at the sun going down through the trees moments. In fact there was a moon reflection on the water without there actually being any moon visible in the sky which is looked a bit cheap.

I think I'm going to continue to explore and collect rather than concentrate on the missions right now.   

ziggy starbucks

the aim of the game is to kill as many black people as possible