Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris-God or (Made a rather mundane film about a) Dog?

Started by VorpalSword, February 09, 2004, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VorpalSword

OK, so I'm a new user, and probably have no right to be asking this question on a site which is, in theory at least, devoted to this talented individuum. But hey, isn't England all about free speech? ["of course not, keep your mouth shut you stupid cunt!"]

Right, anyway. I'm fifteen, so I am at that impressionable age when I think that anyone who can come up with something even remotely funny should be crowned King of the Universe. [However, since I laugh at anything, many inter-galactic civil wars would be fought before Steve Coogan would hire mercenaries and declare himself "Ultimate Emperor"] You can rest assured, though,  that I know that Chris Morris is the only person in the whole world who could make me piss myself  for no other reason than the fact that I just watched a slightly rotund man without eyebrows sitting in a canoe.

However, I bought "My Wrongs-87as6707439828472354903459425-9043" or whatever it's called the other week, and I found it...humourless. It was OK, but I found that the Blue Jam monologue far outstripped the film itself. DVD extras should only be better than the DVD if the DVD they are supporting stars "Johnny-Fucking-Vaughn"

Anyway, as this ramble in no way suggests, I want to know what you think, so that I can validate my own opinions. It's the only way I know how to live. Thanks.

DuncanC

I agree, I found My Wrongs even weaker than Jam, which was itself far weaker than Blue Jam. But hey, at least it got him a BAFTA, and could lead to a full film that's actually good.

Darrell

Most of us can't stand My Wrongs either, welcome t' club.

VorpalSword

I am very sad to say that the only Blue Jam I have ever heard is that one on "My Wrongs", I found "Jam" on DVD excellent, although I would have preferred to have had ACTUAL extras rather that "First 19 seconds". I will hopefully be getting Blue Jam soon, so I can make a full comparison, although of course, I will be buying "The Day Today" first. Roll on 26th April!

king mob

Its vastly dull, spend your time downloading BJ & listen to the best.

VorpalSword

Alas, my sound card is as broken as the silence between two tourette's sufferers. And 30mb on a 28.8kb modem?....aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Darrell

Quote from: "king mob"Its vastly dull, spend your time downloading
the GLR shows and On The Hour
Quote from: "king mob"& listen to the best.

That's better.

Rats

Yeah, my wrongs was awfull, they mustn't have been able to clear ray of light for the blue jam extra, it would make no difference to someone hearing it for the first time but I didn't like it with the other music.
Get blue jam though, it's the best thing he's done and so say all of us (apart from 80% of us who are idnots and think the music shows were better)

VorpalSword

does anybody know of a website apart from www.thesmokehammer.com thaMorris contributes to? I need to soak up his genius.

Neville Chamberlain

Well I enjoyed My Wrongs. I thought it had a nice fluffy, slightly hallucinogenic quality which I found very appealing.

Anyone with me on this?

Apparently not.

I'm with you Jim!

I liked my wrongs, watched it a few times and think it's a great little short film. Infact I'd really like to see him convert more of the BJ monologues into that medium.

elderford

I liked it as well.

...but, I will say enough with the Blue Jam mining. Hopefully with the BAFTA Mr Morris will move on.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "elderford"I liked it as well.

...but, I will say enough with the Blue Jam mining. Hopefully with the BAFTA Mr Morris will move on.

Yes, I agree. Personally, I'd like to see some more written material from Morris, something along the lines of the Geefe columns (which, by the way, seem to have disappeared on the front page...). They were absolutely blindingly ace and left me literally gasping for more...

Purple Tentacle

I quite liked My Wrongs, although it was by no means up to his usual stratospheric standard.

If it had been directed by someone else, I suspect a lot more people would be singing its praises.

Bilko

Christ I can't believe it, a new user that hasn't been slaughtered and bullied by the usual senior posters.

Quote from: "Jim"Yes, I agree. Personally, I'd like to see some more written material from Morris, something along the lines of the Geefe columns (which, by the way, seem to have disappeared on the front page...). They were absolutely blindingly ace and left me literally gasping for more...

Yes they have disappeared, but you can get them here plus the 9/11 stuff with Armando Iannucci. http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/page/0,11821,671683,00.html

benthalo

I think it was Jonathan Romney who, when reviewing My Wrongs in Sight & Sound, described the inclusion of the BJ monologue as "a spectacular own goal." I don't think I've ever watched the DVD again.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I liked My Wrongs. I thought it was good.

Unfortunately it's probably the worst thing I've seen him involved with, but it's good all the same, and I'm not going to grumble.

VorpalSword

did anyone else see the blue thing on the top of the dvd saying stuff like "a short film including scenes" incredibly self-serving and pretentious.

(i thought they were good, but i want to stir up some interesting chatter)

Darrell

The blue thing isn't on all copies - I thought it was just HMV who got them. The disc packaging is the least of the film's problems (though it is very, very bad).

VorpalSword

i got mine on play.com, so if anyone wants the blue thing, go there for some insultingly bad jokes about "special features.

i quite liked the whole look of the packaging, the kind of 'ladybird book' thing was cool, but i would have preffered if it had actually made sense and had a connection to the actual film. maybe if it had been in the shape of a dogs head? or a madman? or a foul-mouthed baby?

just a thought.

Entropy Balsmalch

I quite liked My Wrongs too.

Not brilliant, but compare it to other short films shown on Channel 4 in the middle of the night, and actually it's quite good.

Also, it works better for people who've not previously had their mind clouded with the original monolouge from Blue Jam - although that's not the case for our original poster here.

A brave attempt to explore a new way of working that almost works well and gained Morris wider recognition and possibly more funding to do more work.

mangoliver

I thought My Wrongs was OK but vastly inferior to the original sketch.

For the most part I think Jam and My Wrongs were a bit of a waste of time. Blue Jam works well ont' radio but I'm not sure it works so well on screen.

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Jim"Well I enjoyed My Wrongs. I thought it had a nice fluffy, slightly hallucinogenic quality which I found very appealing.

Anyone with me on this?

Apparently not.

I too enjoyed my wrongs.  It's nice to know that Morris doesn't have to alienate himself completely with everything he does.  I also enjoyed Jam, it didn't do for what Blue Jam did, but i thought it was as good as it could have been.

Christopher Morris is most defnately a genius.  

When will we see him again?

Darrell

Make another post in bold and I will kill your family.

VorpalSword

oh yes, because BOLD is the biggest evil in the world right now

kakamuffin

Quote from: "VorpalSword"oh yes, because BOLD is the biggest evil in the world right now

Yes, that, Osama Bin Laden and Daz.

Oh, Danny Baker and Chris Moyles too.  Sucking the wormy black jizz from satans cock.

Darrell

Quote from: "VorpalSword"oh yes, because BOLD is the biggest evil in the world right now

By that ridiculous attitude, why not go and adopt the homeless instead of posting on a forum?

Fuck's sake.

Darrell

kakamuffin

Quote from: "Darrell"

By that ridiculous attitude, why not go and adopt the homeless instead of posting on a forum?

Fuck's sake.

This man clearly needs a hug.

Darrell

Quote from: "kakamuffin"This man clearly needs a hug.

Stop picking on me just because I'm black.